Down 32 pounds - but only maintaining now??

Options
I am really proud of myself. After getting to an all time high of 260 pounds, I set some aggressive goals (even completed a 73 mile bike race 2 months ago); and I have managed to shed 32 pounds. I exercise daily (bike riding) and tend to burn between 600-800 calories during each ride. Additionally, I have been lowering my calorie intake as my weight comes off and I drink plenty of water. What I think is interesting is that I seem to be maintaining my weight as of lately. I am a 35 year old male, 6 foot. I am sticking to 1200 calories or less each day (even though I am burning 600+). I don't think it is safe for me to reduce my calories any further than I have, considering the amount of cycling I am doing. I have read that increasing calories on some days can jump start the metabolism; provided I AVERAGE out the week? For instance, one day I consume 1800 calories, but maybe the next day only 900, etc... Let me know any thoughts or recommendations! Thanks - and don't get me wrong - I am very happy about the amount of weight I have lost to date. My goal is to get under 200; but I want to stay healthy doing this and I want to lose the weight gradually. I just can't figure out why I have been stuck at this weight for a couple weeks now. Surely, I should have at least dropped a pound or two I would think.

Replies

• juwan24
    juwan24 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm 6'3 237 (started at 273)

You need more food, not less food.

You're body is burning 2100 or so calories on it's own, if you're eating less than 1200, you're body isn't getting enough energy to burn the fat and it's storing it instead.

I have a spreadsheet where I log all my food and exercise and my bmr from here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

then I do my best to make the net calories equal around 1750 and I'm consistently dropping a pound a week. The MFP program is designed to eat your exercise calories back to give you enough fuel to lose weight and get fit at the same time.

Whenever my net gets under 1500, my weight loss stops completely
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!