Surrounded by Greatness!!

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
Today I realized I am surrounded by greatness.:love:

I read the profiles and :noway: at the weight you have lost, but more for the positive changes you have made to your overall health.

Medication no longer needed.
Cholesteral down.
Sugar counts evened out
Blood presure normal
Stairs climbed.
Elliptical mountains concurred.
Salads and veggies considered food now!
( I wonder if the lettuce industry has gone up in stock since MFP started up?)
3ks, 5ks, 10ks and freaking Marathons and Triathlons completed by people who have not only lost 100 pounds, but CHANGED forever!!!!!!

My mom used to say " Birds of a feather, flock together" when I was a kid.

I feel like the birds I hang with now are flying high!!!

What is your greatest accomplishment to date?

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I wasn't "overweight" when I joined MFP, and never have been. I've actually always been a fairly healthy eater, and education about healthy choices and smart decisions- it was just something that always interested me since I was younger. So, my greatest accomplishment isn't as shell-shocking as some of the accomplishments of other MFP members.

But, for me personally, I have re-defined what I think is "healthy." I have cut out foods that aren't necessary, and now eat regularly foods that I would have never eaten before. My greatest accomplishment to date is figuring out a system, and way of life that works for me. It's not easy to incorporate a healthy lifestyle into an already hectic, work-filled day. But, "getting in the groove" is my greatest accomplishment. I've learned how to go to birthday dinners, fairs, events, and restaurants without leaving feeling horrible, bloated and guilty.

Also, I'm an After School Program director and on the last day of school I decided I needed to do something to step in up over the summer. I've always been relatively athletic, but running was never my thing at all. I could play softball and basketball, but running a block would pretty much guarantee me a trip to the ER:laugh: On the last day of school I started Cough to 5k, and on the Sunday before schools started I ran my first 5k in 31:22:drinker: . Now, I run with ease. I can do 2 to 3 miles very comfortably now without even hardly breathing hard, and I love it :love:

Those are my accomplishments. Again, not the big huge jaw dropping accomplishments that some have achieved on here, but for me they are :blushing:
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I kept myself from developing the health problems the rest of my family is stricken with. Taught myself portion control and made exercise a fun part of my daily routine.

Oh yeah and I lost 35 pounds but who's counting.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I wasn't "overweight" when I joined MFP, and never have been. I've actually always been a fairly healthy eater, and education about healthy choices and smart decisions- it was just something that always interested me since I was younger. So, my greatest accomplishment isn't as shell-shocking as some of the accomplishments of other MFP members.

But, for me personally, I have re-defined what I think is "healthy." I have cut out foods that aren't necessary, and now eat regularly foods that I would have never eaten before. My greatest accomplishment to date is figuring out a system, and way of life that works for me. It's not easy to incorporate a healthy lifestyle into an already hectic, work-filled day. But, "getting in the groove" is my greatest accomplishment. I've learned how to go to birthday dinners, fairs, events, and restaurants without leaving feeling horrible, bloated and guilty.

Also, I'm an After School Program director and on the last day of school I decided I needed to do something to step in up over the summer. I've always been relatively athletic, but running was never my thing at all. I could play softball and basketball, but running a block would pretty much guarantee me a trip to the ER:laugh: On the last day of school I started Cough to 5k, and on the Sunday before schools started I ran my first 5k in 31:22:drinker: . Now, I run with ease. I can do 2 to 3 miles very comfortably now without even hardly breathing hard, and I love it :love:

Those are my accomplishments. Again, not the big huge jaw dropping accomplishments that some have achieved on here, but for me they are :blushing:

I have to say that for ME running a block is a big accomplishment, let alone 3 miles with 'ease'
    I used to picture a oxygen mask falling from the ceiling above the elliptical machine when I worked out!!

CODE BLUE>>>>>>>>>>>.another old fat broad down in C Sector:laugh: :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I kept myself from developing the health problems the rest of my family is stricken with. Taught myself portion control and made exercise a fun part of my daily routine.

Oh yeah and I lost 35 pounds but who's counting.

WOOT!!! that is wonderful! :glasses:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    :heart: learned to conquer and control my lifelong nemesis-- my weight.

:heart: learned to overcome "I can't"

:heart: learned to overcome discomfort to go do things I never thought I could do-- like a 5k.

:heart: learned to let my walls down, and let wonderful people in-- to accept their love and friendship, encouragement and motivation and to return it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I've never been one to feel like I belonged to communities like these...I've participated in many online communites over the years, but none have felt as positive and nurturing and accepting as MFP. I think being here has softened ever so slightly my jaded nature about human beings in general, and that's saying a lot. This site has changed me, and is changing me every day...I really feel like I hit the jackpot. No matter what you need to talk about- diabetes, fibromyalgia, pain, fear, loss...it seems there are others here who want to talk about the same things. I even enjoy the debates for the most part because it points out one fact- there are at least 2 sides to every argument, and chances are neither side really has all the facts. :smile:

I eat a salad just about every day now. A salad! The green kind. lol I'm actually even beginning to think of the green stuff as food rather than leaves and grass.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    1. When I first started my lifestyle change and MFP I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes without being out of breath, now I can do it without panting.

2. I used to be tired all the time, but now I feel great

3. I know that I can do this, before I would have given up by now.

4. I can run after my kids now, before that would have nearly killed me.

5. I actually feel pretty now, before I didn't.

6. I love to exercise now, I have always hated it, but now I love the way it makes me feel.
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    I'm still on the exposition stage of my hero's journey, so my greatest accomplishment isn't as great as many of the people here on MFP that give me such inspiration.

However, the greatest accomplishment for me so far (more to come!) is that I'm actually sticking with it.

I fell into the habit of "Oh I'm tired of measuring, tracking, counting... oh I'm sick I should eat what I want, oh I don't have time to go get healthy food I'll just eat these fries."

Before in my multiple attempts at weight loss, that was always the last week. I got to a point, lost about 15 pounds and got lazy.

This time I forced myself to weigh in after that week that I knew I had made so many bad choices. I gained THREE pounds that week. Knowing what I do about calorie intake, I ate 10,500 calories over that week.

I was disgusted with myself. Two years ago, I would have let myself spiral down and give up.

This time was different. I didn't want to give up, I wanted to get right back on track.

I did, and I lost those three pounds that next week, and lost another two the next. I'm back on track and I'm NOT giving up. I've set my goals and I AM going to meet them. I don't see them as unreachable or even that far away. I have a goal to lose 50 pounds total by the end of this year.

That's reachable if I focus and stick with it, and don't allow myself to back slide.

Hopefully at my three month follow up on October 16th I can add myself to the "Got off my meds" list since my food habits are SO much better than they were when I started the meds at 303 pounds. 25 pounds and counting, but looking forward to those other accomplishments than the numbers.

Numbers are great. FEELING better is MUCH better.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :heart: learned to conquer and control my lifelong nemesis-- my weight.

:heart: learned to overcome "I can't"

:heart: learned to overcome discomfort to go do things I never thought I could do-- like a 5k.

:heart: learned to let my walls down, and let wonderful people in-- to accept their love and friendship, encouragement and motivation and to return it.

0002012D.gif
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I've never been one to feel like I belonged to communities like these...I've participated in many online communites over the years, but none have felt as positive and nurturing and accepting as MFP. I think being here has softened ever so slightly my jaded nature about human beings in general, and that's saying a lot. This site has changed me, and is changing me every day...I really feel like I hit the jackpot. No matter what you need to talk about- diabetes, fibromyalgia, pain, fear, loss...it seems there are others here who want to talk about the same things. I even enjoy the debates for the most part because it points out one fact- there are at least 2 sides to every argument, and chances are neither side really has all the facts. :smile:

I eat a salad just about every day now. A salad! The green kind. lol I'm actually even beginning to think of the green stuff as food rather than leaves and grass.

LOL!:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    1. When I first started my lifestyle change and MFP I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes without being out of breath, now I can do it without panting.

6. I love to exercise now, I have always hated it, but now I love the way it makes me feel.

"5. I actually feel pretty now, before I didn't. "

I love this:cry: . To feel better about onself when looking in the mirror is a daunting task to undertake. I am so happy for you:flowerforyou:
  • kimberjones
    Options

That's so awesome! Thanks for sharing that!
    :flowerforyou:
  • kimberjones
    Options

I'm actually beginning to enjoy my exercise, myself, and I thought that would NEVER!!! happen.

It's a miracle for me! I knew God was still in the miracle business - just not in the same way so many people are looking for!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options

I have to say that for ME running a block is a big accomplishment, let alone 3 miles with 'ease'
    I used to picture a oxygen mask falling from the ceiling above the elliptical machine when I worked out!!

CODE BLUE>>>>>>>>>>>.another old fat broad down in C Sector:laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :sad: :laugh: :sad: :laugh: you so silly Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I'm still on the exposition stage of my hero's journey, so my greatest accomplishment isn't as great as many of the people here on MFP that give me such inspiration.

However, the greatest accomplishment for me so far (more to come!) is that I'm actually sticking with it.

I fell into the habit of "Oh I'm tired of measuring, tracking, counting... oh I'm sick I should eat what I want, oh I don't have time to go get healthy food I'll just eat these fries."

Before in my multiple attempts at weight loss, that was always the last week. I got to a point, lost about 15 pounds and got lazy.

This time I forced myself to weigh in after that week that I knew I had made so many bad choices. I gained THREE pounds that week. Knowing what I do about calorie intake, I ate 10,500 calories over that week.

I was disgusted with myself. Two years ago, I would have let myself spiral down and give up.

This time was different. I didn't want to give up, I wanted to get right back on track.

I did, and I lost those three pounds that next week, and lost another two the next. I'm back on track and I'm NOT giving up. I've set my goals and I AM going to meet them. I don't see them as unreachable or even that far away. I have a goal to lose 50 pounds total by the end of this year.

That's reachable if I focus and stick with it, and don't allow myself to back slide.

Hopefully at my three month follow up on October 16th I can add myself to the "Got off my meds" list since my food habits are SO much better than they were when I started the meds at 303 pounds. 25 pounds and counting, but looking forward to those other accomplishments than the numbers.

Numbers are great. FEELING better is MUCH better.

Wow! What an amazing journey you have had so far. I cant WAIT to see all that you can accomplish!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

I felt pretty yesterday...it was a good feeling, and one I don't feel very often anymore. I LOVE exercise...well not always 100% love during it...but I do it just about every day, and LOVE the way it makes me feel. In the past, the idea of exercising would actually cause me deep depression because I dreaded it so much.
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options

I felt pretty yesterday...it was a good feeling, and one I don't feel very often anymore. I LOVE exercise...well not always 100% love during it...but I do it just about every day, and LOVE the way it makes me feel. In the past, the idea of exercising would actually cause me deep depression because I dreaded it so much.

It's odd... I have to tear myself away from something to get TO the gym. Once I'm there, I'm enjoying myself. I don't really do the "Ughhhhh... twelve more minutes to go." I just go and do it and feel great afterward. Its just getting there that's my problem! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I feel the same was as the OP Arewethereyet. I am honored to be a part of this. Every single one of the people who has posted above me has inspired me more than once. Their attitudes and courage, and the way they support others has meant so much to me.

For me the proudest moment was just yesterday morning when I ran 20 minutes straight. It was only 1.45 miles, but I did not stop during that 20 minutes. And when you think that I could not run 20 feet before without having to stop that's a real accomplishment.

I'll be 50 years old at my next birthday - so if I can do this everyone can. I credit a great part of this to those people I've met here.

And that 20 minutes is just the beginning. This honestly is my new way of life.
  • Wecandothis
    Options

I felt pretty yesterday...it was a good feeling, and one I don't feel very often anymore.

oh BrendaLee when I read this it broke my heart because you are BEAUTIFUL!!! Your picture proves that - but even more importantly you are wise, and giving and generous to others.

My prayer for you is that you will see yourself as others see you - in truth. Because if you do you will feel oh so much more than just pretty!! :smile: You will feel like the beautiful, powerful, generous woman that you are.
  • Wecandothis
    Options

w00t!!!!!!!!!!! These are outstanding accomplishments!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!