Sugar!

Options
Hollyana
Hollyana Posts: 55 Member
I've just started tracking sugar on my daily diet thing and blummin' heck, what a shock! I knew I was getting to be a bit of a sugar addict, but even on days when I don't feel like I've eaten anything particularly 'naughty', up pop the red numbers!

This is kind of depressing, especially when the sugar is mainly from fruit and dried fruit like today and when I still have loads of calories left. I know that keeping your blood sugar levels steady is important, so is it better to give up some dried fruit as well as lay off the more obviously sweet stuff, or won't it do too much harm?

- P.S. I'm a newbie so if anyone's willing to take me on as a friend I'd love my news feed to be a little busier :-)

Replies

• MumMumOfMany
    MumMumOfMany Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    suggest not even worrying about natural sugars in fruits bbe. its the added sugars in choc and sweets etc tht you wanna worry about. docs advice of 5 a day cant be wrong :-) x
  • Longs3
    Longs3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had the same reaction. I'm also new and I just figured out how to track my sugar. Just like you - I was really surprised at the sugar in my food choices. So now I'm trying to do a little research on foods that are healthy and low in sugar. Thanks for your post. It was what I was looking for too.

I'll send you a friend request! :-)
  • blinkinglight
    Options
    I aim to keep my grams of sugar under 30 per day (not sure what MFP recommends). The only sugar I get is from fruit, and I do limit fruit. Dried fruit has a TON of sugar and should be treated more like "nature's candy" than a day to day occurrence. It's really easy to over eat dried fruit.

I find that when I eat sugar (even from fruit), I crave MORE sugar. The less I eat, the less I want it! One day, I over did it on the dried fruit. That night, I was seriously craving ice cream. SERIOUSLY fighting driving to the store and buying some. I hadn't craved ice cream in weeks.. so I knew something was up. The only difference in my diet that day was the stupid dried apricots I ate! I rarely, if ever, eat dried fruit anymore.

If you're concerned about your sugar intake, perhaps you could participate in a sugar detox program? I did this one: whole9life.com/whole30 and it changed my life. I have also heard good things about this one: http://the21daysugardetox.com/

There is so much sugar in EVERYTHING these days. I was buying chicken broth the other day, and there was even sugar in that! The world does not make it easy to limit sugar consumption, that's for sure !