Help ........more Fiber or is this normal?

Options
Ok so this is a little embarassing for me, but here is goes anyway! :embarassed: Sorry if it's TMI for some, but I need some advice here. :blushing:

I used to be very regular, but I had a hysterectomy 2 months ago and now I'm not. The first week or so I was taking pain pills, so that explained it then, but by now I figured things would be back to normal. I eat A LOT of veggies and drink tons of water, try to eat at least one type of fruit a day. I started taking fiber gummies and eating Fiber One bars...that bloats me like crazy, causes gas, to the uncomfortable point. So I tried Kashi Go Lean....still getting bloated like crazy. Started eating activia once a day, only two days in, so I don't know yet how this will go.

Anyone else got ideas that help regulate you but not just cause bloat and gas?? I don't know if this is just what your body does after a hysterectomy or what, it's very unlike me and actually uncomfortable and I'm just looking for some tips from anyone who has some.

THANKS

Replies

• lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Colace - its not a laxative but a stool softner. So no ugly suprises...

My Dr. had me take it after the birth of both my kids while my body was healing. You might find it useful while your body heals as well.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Yes, what they said ^.

I have always had issues with this since I was a teenager. Now that I am breastfeeding, its only worsened. I take 3 stool softeners every night and drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. I can't eat the fiber one bars; they give me terrible gas. I have tried Metamucil, fiber gummies, Citrucel, etc. but the stool softeners are the easiest. Good luck!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

My Dr. had me take it after the birth of both my kids while my body was healing. You might find it useful while your body heals as well.

^^This. And some movement/exercise in addition to the water.
  • empc
    empc Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try Metamucil
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Probiotics! Did they put you on antibiotics after your surgery? If so those probably killed off too much of the flora in your gut. You need those little buggers to help you digest your food properly. You can take probiotic supplements (I use Trader Joe's brand and they seem to work fine), eat yogurt with live cultures, try Yakult, eat fermented foods (saurkraut & kim chee are particularly good sources).

I was seriously irregular for 2 months after my surgery before I figured out what was going on.

Fish oil capsules will also help somewhat if you're eating low fat.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: The Activia should help hopefully. I love Fiber One bars, but they do cause gas. Kashi causes gas even worse. I think it's the chicory fiber in there. I agree with another poster about taking a stool softener. You can buy them generically. Good luck!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Quacker High Fiber oatmeal.....
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Worth a try but also, drink Prune juice and try to add more fruit.

I had and appentectomy at 7 months pregnant back in the 90s. It started out I had trouble holdng down food, then the BM was nonexistent for 2 weeks. I drank a bottle of prune juice and ate fruit salald for 3 days and finaly it happened and never had an issue since. Definitely need time to heal.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Probiotics! Did they put you on antibiotics after your surgery? If so those probably killed off too much of the flora in your gut. You need those little buggers to help you digest your food properly. You can take probiotic supplements (I use Trader Joe's brand and they seem to work fine), eat yogurt with live cultures, try Yakult, eat fermented foods (saurkraut & kim chee are particularly good sources).

I was seriously irregular for 2 months after my surgery before I figured out what was going on.

Fish oil capsules will also help somewhat if you're eating low fat.

Yes, I've been on antibiotics 3 times since surgery for bladder infection. I keep hearing about Probiotics...Thanks I will check it out.
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    You're not taking the prescription pills anymore but are you taking mortin or anything like that? I have TMJ and during the summer it's more uncomfortable because I swell so I take those types of pain medication. Then I started having issues... it turns out that mortin and the like causes those sorts of stomach issues. I know after I had 2 major surgeries on my gut even months after I was taking over the counter meds for the soreness.

Also, are you taking a multivitamin? Most of them have iron in them and after a major surgery like that the iron can make it a WHOLE lot harder to go. Something else I learned the hard way.

If you can soak in a bath, that can also ease the discomfort. I hope this helps with some different ideas.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Miralax works wonders.
  • kim8184
    kim8184 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had a Hysterectomy a few years ago and I don't remember being bloated or gassy or having an issue with bowl movements. Now that I've started to eat clean and low carb I find that I am not as regular as I should be. I know this confuses me because I try and incorporate veggies, fruit and whole grains all day long. I use Miralax and love it. I usually stir it in my morning coffee if I haven't went in a day or two, and this works pretty fast for me. Doesn't make it where you will have a problem in your undies, but it lets you know you should go potty. Wow, I think I've been spending too much time with my granddaughters', lol. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I would start out with Metamucil first and Probiotics.

Then if that isn't working move to miralax...No more than a week.

If that isn't working...see a gastrologist....

I personally would not mess with colace or anything else.
  • osalkoby
    osalkoby Posts: 8
    Options
    Read up on the nutritional/intestinal benefits of kefir (both water and milk) then let me know if you're interested. I'll send you some, just pay the shipping.
    Here is a good place to start http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html
  • Daniella_89
    Options
    If you are bloating or having gas after you eat things such as kashi or go lean crunch you could possibly have an intolerance to wheat. That is what happened to me. There are still a lot of things you can try to get your fibre that are gluten free that wont cause bloating/gas.

For Me I use either 1) Chia seeds - they are very healthy for you and have fibre in them. I put some in yogurt and let them soften up a bit 2) I bought these all nature protein bars from popeyes supplements that again are VERY healthy and have 17-19g of fibre (all from a plant source) and are gluten free called quest protein bars 3) I use Quinoa flour to make some things and that has i think 4g of fibre

There are many different options you can try.. Also try fruits such as Kiwi and Pineapple or Beans!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Miralax is great...You can buy over the counter or get a prescription if that is cheaper for you...It's gentle enough to use every day if needed and children all the way up to senior citizens can use it...My 3yr olds pediatrician prescribed it for my son for issues he was having...I only give it to him when he is having constipation for a few days but it does help alot.... :)

ETA: It is a non-stimulant as well, it just gets you regulated like fiber or metamucil...
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    Similar problem here when pregnant. I used to love the fiber one bars but then I read about the specific type of Fiber in them (I think it was Chicory root?) and learned that the Fiber source is actually suspect and caused a lot of people gas and bloat sypmtoms rather than regularity. I immediately stopped eating them and tried metamucil capsules (up your dose slowly over a couple of days.) Probiotics and exersice help too.

Good luck! and So sorry to her you're having trouble.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    A good probiotic is Acidophilus. Nature's Bounty makes a good one. I take it everyday as I have problems with yeast. Not sure what state you live in but they sell it at CVS Pharmacy.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It has to be a female hormone thing, I swear- when I was on fertility meds, I was stopped up ALL THE TIME- now I notice the week I ovulate, and the week of my period- nothing I take helps to keep it from happening, but the Sunsweet Plum juice works wonders as a remedy- it really works, and can work FAST- but it when you are that miserable, it is welcomed!!!

Good luck!
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    The oldest remedy of all, eat an apple a day (or 2)
    Not the juice, not applesauce, but an apple.....