Boredom Busters

Options
I have discovered something about myself...I eat out of boredom. Like, seriously...it is bad. What do you guys suggest I do INSTEAD of eating that could even potentially burn calories?

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Exercise, go for a walk, start a hobby, plan your meals for the next day, volunteer if you have a lot of time, read the forums, or read a book. All great boredom killers. If you are feeling in a slump and don't want to do ANYTHING then you'll have to make yourself do it instead of eat. Think of all the things you want to accomplish and start them :D
  • Studiet
    Studiet Posts: 2
    Options
    Oh ya boredom eating is the worst, especially because it's things like oreos, ice cream, cereal, potatoe chips!!!! Unfortunately boredom is usually lack of motivation at that moment. You would rather sit on the couch then truly get up and do something else.
    That is the true problem.

Just motivate yourself to get up. I suffer from this as well and have found that it's easier to get off my bum and do a little task then think about doing a major task. Little task as in make the bed, then I move to eww the mirror needs cleaned, then rough house with the dog who is always game and so on..... Key thing make that first small step of getting yourself up and moving with any old task then keep moving.
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Four out of five times, I get on the floor and do crunches. It burn calories and when I'm laying down, I feel skinny :) That's a great way to remind me that boredom snacking isn't worth it!
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Start small. Instead of cutting out eating...make yourself 100 calorie snack bags. One bag per night...labeled if needed. Grab your baggie/container for the night then turn off the kitchen light. Kitchen's closed.

Then try doing little things around the house instead. During commericals try some exercises...sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks. Things that don't require weights or a gym.
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Oh ya boredom eating is the worst, especially because it's things like oreos, ice cream, cereal, potatoe chips!!!! Unfortunately boredom is usually lack of motivation at that moment. You would rather sit on the couch then truly get up and do something else.
    That is the true problem.

You hit the nail on its proverbial head. Lack of motivation is perhaps what I am dealing with right now...and not only in my exercise/nutritional life...but also in other areas. I am just terribly sluggish these days. I used to look forward to going outside and exercising. As far as doing crunches because I'm bored, I have a mental hangup that I don't enjoy exercising anymore, therefore I have to find ways to SNEAK in activity until I get over this mental roadblock that I just hate to exercise. Don't know what it will take, but I am gonna get it together again! :) Thanks for all of the positive, supportive responses.