My weakness

Options
I need help in controling my love for sweets. I cant help it when someone brings in donuts or someone is having a birthday with a yummy cake in the office. How do you deal with these temptations?

Replies

• Demetria
    Options
    Try drinking a large glass of water then have something healthy that is sweet, orange, apple, etc, then if you still can't resist get yourself a small piece, go someplace quiet, by yourself and really enjoy every bite of it. You can't totally deprive yourself, it will just backfire and you will end up binging.
    Also think about how many empty calories it will have, fat, sat fat, trans fat, sugar and such that you will be consuming, do you really want to put something in your body that is only going to make things worse?

hth,
    Demetria
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't easy. I work in a large department of a bank. We have one team member I alternate between calling "the Busy Baker" and "the devil":devil: (she knows I am kidding:laugh: ) because at the drop of a hat, for birthday or just "because" she will walk in and pass out things that are always good, but not part of my healthy eating plan.

She is supportive of my efforts and understands when I say "no"--but sometimes her enthusiasm is overpowering. Depending on what it is, I might go ahead and have a little and adjust the rest of my day, but since I don't have cravings as a result of eating sugar, this works fine for me. Many times I will take it, put it behind my computer monitor so I can't see it, and if I don't think about it for a while, usually decide I can live without it. Then I give it to the skinny guy who sits next to me and can and does eat anything, and often.:laugh: and doesn't gain an ounce!!:noway:

I know for some people one step off the straight and narrow path leads them down the long winding road to disaster (Sorry Beatles for borrowing a line from one of your songs:smile: ) so I can't say what the best coping mechanism is for you.

I will say that since I decided the ONLY one who had control of what goes in my mouth is ME --it is much easier to make a good decision.

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • krt1168
    Options
    I agree with Demetria about the fruit but agree that it is hard to resist the sweets. One think I do is take a small piece of cake or half a donut and taste it. Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) the taste of the sweet is a let down and I end up only having a bite or two before throwing the rest away. I figure if it isn't that good, why waste my calories on it.
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi imastar,

Try the 100 calorie packs of mini cupcakes . It will fufill your craving for sweets. I try to think about one slice of cake easiy 350 - 400 calories. Is it worth it to workout for 45minutes to burn it off. Also think abput the fat content usually around 20- 25 grams of fat. Hope this helps .
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem at the office, so when everyone is eating I go and log in to MFP and put in the cals and most of the time it hits me like a ton of bricks....its soooooo not worth it!