Any Agave Nectar fans?

Options
I love the stuff. I use in really small quantities and usually only in coffee. It tastes natural because it is. I just can't do any of the chemical compounds to which i refer to as toxic waste. Anyone else like this stuff???? Have any recipes to share?? Not talking Tequila here either people. :) Although, i have been known......

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i use it. since going primal i haven't decided if i will keep using it but i do know it makes a mean candy carrot in my house =)
  • angirs
    angirs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love it too. Perfect with hot tea and lemon. And pretty darn good on oatmeal. :)
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff. I use in really small quantities and usually only in coffee. It tastes natural because it is. I just can't do any of the chemical compounds to which i refer to as toxic waste. Anyone else like this stuff???? Have any recipes to share?? Not talking Tequila here either people. :) Although, i have been known......

It tastes natural because it is heavily manufactured to do so.

I prefer raw honey.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I use it. Add to my smoothies or a little bit in porridge/cereal if not sweet enough.

Is it better or worse than sugar? I just like it for the low calories but not really sure what the benefit of it is meant to me?
  • chris1816
    Options
    I use it. Add to my smoothies or a little bit in porridge/cereal if not sweet enough.

Is it better or worse than sugar? I just like it for the low calories but not really sure what the benefit of it is meant to me?

It's a chemically manufactured sweetener, I look at it as one of those things where why bother? Honey or cane sugar tastes better and works better.

Natural honey has many more health benefits, tastes better too.
  • guapogringo
    guapogringo Posts: 201
    Options
    Didn't want to spark some controversy here but I have been to one facility on the Baja that produces the stuff. I followed the process and what they did at the facility is boil the ball of the plant and press it into a liquid. Make sure your bottle says 100% Agave on the bottle. In the past some manufacturers were adding corn syrup and calling it Agave.

I tell you what Chris I have a buddy that runs a crime lab and owns a HP liquid chromatography-mass spectrometer. I can get him to run a few samples to see the chemical make up if you are interested.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm severely allergic to the chemicals they call artificial sweeteners! (lucky for me!) I only use 100% pure Agave in my coffee or a drop on my oatmeal. Sorry, I don't have any recipes.
  • chris1816
    Options
    Didn't want to spark some controversy here but I have been to one facility on the Baja that produces the stuff. I followed the process and what they did at the facility is boil the ball of the plant and press it into a liquid. Make sure your bottle says 100% Agave on the bottle. In the past some manufacturers were adding corn syrup and calling it Agave.

I tell you what Chris I have a buddy that runs a crime lab and owns a HP liquid chromatography-mass spectrometer. I can get him to run a few samples to see the chemical make up if you are interested.

Sure, it should be a split of glucose and fructose based sugars, typically heavier % towards fructose, depending on the process the given manufacture uses when converting the agave starch into inulin. It's made from a natural source yes, but Agave nectar is produced much like how corn starch is refined into HFCS. Tastes alright, but I prefer honey.
  • DreadRunner
    Options
    I don't see the difference in the natural products really. I use like a teaspoon of agave in my coffee and that's it. If honey or a natural sugar does it for it then great. But I wouldn't suggest using the sweeteners that have a ton of ingredients.

From my cupboard:
    Agave Nectar Ingredients - Agave Nectar
    Sugar Ingredients - Sugar
    Honey Ingredients - Honey

From the Interwebs:
    Splenda Ingredients - sucralose, maltodextrin, and dextrose
    Sweet N Low Ingredients - Nutritive Dextrose, 3.6% Calcium Saccharin (36mg per packet), Cream of Tartar, and Calcium silicate (an anti-caking agent).
    Equal Ingredients - dextrose with maltodextrin, and aspartame

I'll take the sweeteners with one ingredient that I know what it is please. I usually forgo the sugar though because I'm not comfortable with the bleaching process. Have whatever you like though.
  • guapogringo
    Options
    I don't see the difference in the natural products really. I use like a teaspoon of agave in my coffee and that's it. If honey or a natural sugar does it for it then great. But I wouldn't suggest using the sweeteners that have a ton of ingredients.

From my cupboard:

From the Interwebs:
    Sweet N Low Ingredients - Nutritive Dextrose, 3.6% Calcium Saccharin (36mg per packet), Cream of Tartar, and Calcium silicate (an anti-caking agent).

I'll take the sweeteners with one ingredient that I know what it is please. I usually forgo the sugar though because I'm not comfortable with the bleaching process. Have whatever you like though.

Well Put!
  • guapogringo
    Options

Sure, it should be a split of glucose and fructose based sugars, typically heavier % towards fructose, depending on the process the given manufacture uses when converting the agave starch into inulin. It's made from a natural source yes, but Agave nectar is produced much like how corn starch is refined into HFCS. Tastes alright, but I prefer honey.

I will get him to run Honey, Sugar, and Agave just for kicks.
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    I also love Agave Nectar and what's even better for those that say it is "manufactured" to taste natural, get the organic kind with the USDA Organic symbol, which can't be "manufactured" to taste natural, it just is :)
    I use it for everything, I love it in my tea, cereal, or to sweeten anything.

:)
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

From my cupboard:

From the Interwebs:

This. :)
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Bought a while back, don't know what the heck to do with it... can it be used in cooking/baking in place of sugar??
  • MariePR84
    MariePR84 Posts: 8
    Options
    I prefer honey, but I have used some agave in smoothies for my husband who prefers his a little sweeter than what I like.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like it, but mostly for baking (any recipe, I just use it to substitute the other sweetener) I also like it on icecream, or pancakes.
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    I go with raw honey only. Havent tried agave but am curious.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I use it to bake with..i buy the raw agave brand from whole foods.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    to the OP, I would love to hear about those test results when you do get them. I use it because it says it's a low-glycemic sweetner. Organic Blue agave, ingredients=organic blue agave. 60 calories per 1 tbsp.