Healthy Competition Ideas Please.

Options
My family and I are all different weights and sizes. We have recently decided to start losing weight together. We want to see who loses the most but we wanted to do it by % lost or something. kinda of like how the biggest loser compares the competitors.

How would I go about doing this?? What would be a good formula to maybe plug our numbers in or something like that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

- Kayla

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    they have scales you can purchase that tell you the BF %
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use this link to determine my BF % : http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

I use the Military Body Fat option.

Also: http://www.calculator.net/weight-loss-calculator.html
    is a popular choice.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I thought you were asking how to calculate the percentage lost, not the body fat percentage (as the last couple answers mentioned), so I'll just tell you how to do that.

Take the number lost and divide it by the previous weight. Move the decimal point two numbers to the right and that's the percentage.

For example, I have lost 46 pounds and started at 202 pounds. 46/202=.2277, so the percentage lost is 22.77%. If you wanted a weekly percentage change (rather than a total), you would divide the amount lost by the most recent weight.

Hopefully that helps. Ignore me if I'm off-topic, haha.
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Maybe try multiple variables? Like inches lost (pick what you're measuring and how), body fat % lost (you can get scales that measure it -- okay, use measurements and an online calculator -- better, or calipers -- best all at home), and % weight lost.

I would suggest using a Google Docs spreadsheet you can share with your family, or appointing one person to keep track of it all in a spreadsheet. I would also suggest that you talk to everyone and find a time to get your numbers in by together. And let everyone know they can weigh/measure whenever they want, but that their stats for a certain week have to be in by x. (So you could weigh yourself on Monday AMs but not turn over your numbers until Friday or vice versa.)

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions. I have a Google Docs spreadsheet I can share with you if you're interested. :)

EDITED TO SAY: Consistency is the key -- stress that to your fam. It doesn't really matter when/how they measure/weigh themselves, but that they do it the same way at the same time with the same tools every week. Good luck! :flowerforyou: