question about oatmeal

Options
REB89
REB89 Posts: 493 Member
Quick question for you knowledgable people. This morning I had oats with low fat yogurt. (the same oats i would use if i was making homemade oatmeal) If I used the entry for plain oats i got around 607 calories a cup! but if i used cereal regular oats it was considerable less. I think around 150. Whihc is most accurate?!

Replies

• REB89
    Options
    Quick question for you knowledgable people. This morning I had oats with low fat yogurt. (the same oats i would use if i was making homemade oatmeal) If I used the entry for plain oats i got around 607 calories a cup! but if i used cereal regular oats it was considerable less. I think around 150. Whihc is most accurate?!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Depends, what does the packaging list for that oatmeal? Also 1 cup of oatmeal I assume is pre-cooked, that is quite a bit of oatmeal after you cook it. Maybe you were thinking of 1 cup after cooked?
  • REB89
    Options
    no it was oats before they were cooked mixed in with low fat yogurt. And i didn't have a whole cup! i was just using that value as an easy comparison between the 2 values :laugh: Oha nd I don't have the packaging because it's in a plastic container so i threw it out, which is why i'm not sure.:ohwell:
  • jlohern
    jlohern Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of oatmeal. I will usually get the huge cardboard tub of Quaker Quick Cooking Oatmeal. Currently, I have a box of McCann's Quick Cooking Oatmeal. Both brands are 150 calories for 1/2 cup, precooked.
  • REB89
    Options
    thanks!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    lol, I can give you the numbers for quaker oats. Not sure if they are the same, but I imagine they are close.....(looking now)....

here ya go.

Serving Size 1/2 cup dry (40g)Serving Per Container

Calories 150
    Calories from Fat 25 % Daily Value
    Total Fat 3 g5%
    Saturated 0.5g2%
    Polyunsaturated 1gMonounsaturated 1g
    Cholesterol 0mg0%
    Sodium 0mg0%
    Total Carbohydrate 27g9%
    Dietary Fiber 4g15%
    Soluble Fiber 2g
    Insoluble Fiber 2g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 5g %
    Daily Value
    Vitamin A0%
    Vitamin C0%
    Calcium0%
    Iron10%
  • REB89
    Options
    thanks so much, i'll add it so i can use it next time i have it. really appreciate it :happy:
  • krazykayzy
    krazykayzy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many of you know this but Old Fashioned Rolled Oats or Steel Cut oats are way better for you...(I'm not sure why, but many of the nutrition books I've read say that you should choose them over the quick oats) It takes a little longer to cook but I think there are many more benefits. Anyway....the Old Fashioned Rolled Oats that I eat are 150 cal/ half cup. I think that calculation is pretty standard for any oatmeal.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Google search the name brand of the oats you used followed by "nutritional value." There will probably be a few choices but check out different sites until you find it. I do this all the time when I don't have the packaging.
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow thats awesome Krazy. I'll have to look out for that brand.

I've been eating McCann's Steelcut Irish Oatmeal...just love it but they are 1/4 cup = 150.
    (I've never been able to eat any other type of oatmeal).

It can be premade and reheated so its almost like instant (but better),

I usually eat the 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of Motts Unsweetened Applesauce early in the morning and that keeps me till lunch nooo problem.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Google search the name brand of the oats you used followed by "nutritional value." There will probably be a few choices but check out different sites until you find it. I do this all the time when I don't have the packaging.

This is a tip I use all the time, especially if I want to know the nutritional value of something I want to eat in the future but I'm not sure about it. I've always been able to find what I want by doing that.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many of you know this but Old Fashioned Rolled Oats or Steel Cut oats are way better for you...(I'm not sure why, but many of the nutrition books I've read say that you should choose them over the quick oats) It takes a little longer to cook but I think there are many more benefits. Anyway....the Old Fashioned Rolled Oats that I eat are 150 cal/ half cup. I think that calculation is pretty standard for any oatmeal.

The reason they are better for you is that they are more "intact", therefore, they take longer to digest and you realize both more nutrients and better fiber. They also keep you feeling full much longer than the "powdered" (sorry, my word for those nasty little instant packets). The Scottish/Irish oats (pinhead and steel cut) are the best, followed by old fashioned rolled oats...and you don't have to cook them as long as they say, you can even eat them (the rolled, not the steel cut and pinhead) raw and they are both delicious and good for you.
    Cowboy
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wow thats awesome Krazy. I'll have to look out for that brand.

I've been eating McCann's Steelcut Irish Oatmeal...just love it but they are 1/4 cup = 150.
    (I've never been able to eat any other type of oatmeal).

It can be premade and reheated so its almost like instant (but better),

I usually eat the 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of Motts Unsweetened Applesauce early in the morning and that keeps me till lunch nooo problem.

You're absolutely right. I pre-cook my organic pinhead/steel cut oats ahead and just heat them in the microwave...And the steel cut have so much more flavour and texture. I put chopped dried apricots in just at the end to soften them. It sweetens the oatmeal and tastes great!
    Cowboy
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    oooh that sounds yummy cowboy...I've tried using cranberries in the same way too...its good!