Fat Busting pills

Options
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name brand names here, but is it known whether these things actually work or is it all hype. Don't get me wrong, I'm eating properly, hydrating properly and working out, but I have some stubborn middle aged spread that I desperately want to shift. The ones I've been looking at contain (shamelessly stolen from the manufacturers website!!)

Green Tea Extract (80% polyphenols, 45% epigallocatechin gallate, epicatechin)

Green tea, despite its modest name, contains certain active polyphenols that have been scientifically-demonstrated to have significant physiological effects, including fat loss, performance improvement and moderation of damaging cellular oxidation (antioxidant effects). Of particular interest is the catechin compound “epigallocatechin gallate”, which has been extensively investigated in several scientific studies and may be the most important legal, natural molecule in the war on fat! The specific green tea material used in Grenade Thermo Detonator has been manufactured to optimize levels of this compound.

Bitter Orange Extract (synephrine, octopamine, N-methyltyramine, tyramine, hordenine)

This ingredient is another custom-processed extract also known as citrus aurantium. Its principal active extract is synephrine, which is a sypathomimetic, meaning that it stimulates the hormones involved in mobilizing and oxidizing (burning) energy and it has been specifically shown to enhance lipolysis (fat breakdown).

N-methyltyramine and tyramine have the ability to release catecholamines, which are the most powerful fat burning hormones in the human body. Octopamine is the N-methylated analogue of synephrine and it also has the ability to stimulate fat breakdown.

Caffeine Anhydrous (1,3,7-trimethylxanthine)

Caffeine Anhydrous is a xanthine alkaloid that is well known in the scientific literature to mobilize fat from fatty tissue and to increase physical performance and mental focus.

Grapefruit Seed Extract (6,7- dihydroxybergamottin)

The extract of grapefruit seed, dihydroxybergamottin, is known to prolong the effects of various compounds involved in the fat-burning process.

Capsicum Annuum (capsaicin)

Prominent weight loss scientists have investigated the considerable research on capsaicin-containing natural ingredients and determined that they can both increase energy expenditure and fat oxidation (fat burning) so as to decrease the energy balance equation. This would of course be expected to reduce body fat levels.

Evodiamine (evodia fructus extract)

The scientific literature describes evodia fruit as a “hot nature” herb. Evodiamine is currently undergoing intensive investigation for its “thermogenic”, appetite-suppressing and “anti-obesity” effects that have already been demonstrated in the rodent model. These effects suggest increased fat and calorie burning along with decreased food cravings.

Yohimbe Bark Extract (yohimbine)

Traditionally used as an aphrodisiac, yohimbine has been shown to increase the mobilization of fat and the secretion of fat-metabolising hormones in healthy men. Yohimbine appears to deliver its effects via blockade of the alpha-2 adrenoreceptor, which prolongs the metabolism of norepinephrine – the body’s most potent fat-burning hormone.

Raspberry Ketones [4-(4-hydroxyphenyl) butan-2-one]

Raspberry ketones work much like capsaicin and evodia and they are also being studied for their ability to resist fat gains in rodents fed high-fat diets.

Phenylalanine (2-amino-3-phenylpropanoic acid)

This amino acid may help to elevate levels of the appetite-suppressing hormone cholecystokinin (a.k.a. CCK) and may promote better mood and attention levels.

Cocoa Bean Extract (methylxanthines, flavanols)

In addition to supporting good blood flow and its antioxidant effects, it has been suggested that cocoa flavanols may improve parameters associated with insulin function that may be impacted by the metabolic syndrome and obesity.

B-phenethylamine HCl (B-PEA)

Phenethylamine is directly involved in the release of not only norepinephrine (which has already been discussed for its fat-burning effects) but also dopamine. Higher dopamine levels are associated with improved mood and concentration.

Coleus Forskohlii (forskolin)

Forskolin has a direct influence on adenylate cyclase, this enzyme activates a second messenger called cAMP, which promotes the breakdown of fat in fat cells. This has been demonstrated in both humans and animals. It has also been shown to reduce body fat gains in adult humans.

Yerba Mate Leaf (caffeine, theobromine and theophylline)

This is a favourite energy drink of many South Americans who consume it much like coffee. It has naturally high levels of xanthine stimulants that may increase metabolic rate and have other common stimulant effects.

DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol)

This organic molecule is best known for its effects on alertness and mood and it may fuel neurotransmitter production in the body.

Has anyone used anything like this? If so whats the general consensus of opinion- worthwhile or worthless

Thanks

Kurt

Replies

• Ramoth48
    Ramoth48 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience, they're a load of bull. l tried these for a month and the didn't make a blind bit of difference, certainly not the "Lose 2.5 stones on 4 weeks" rubbish they spout. Maybe you can tell from my tone that l am less than impressed.
    This is my story> l orderd the pills online, they took over a week to arrive, but you only get 14 days to try them- which by the way starts from the day you order them not when they arrive. You have to tell them within the 14 day period if you want to cancel. l e-mailed to complain about the delay and they canceled the order but took the money for the 1st batch, this was £112.50 / $75, then insisted that l send back the tablets that l hadn't used.Needless to say l kept them as l really don't think l would have got my money back. So in my opinion they are a BIG FAT CON!!! Don'y go there.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name brand names here, but is it known whether these things actually work or is it all hype. Don't get me wrong, I'm eating properly, hydrating properly and working out, but I have some stubborn middle aged spread that I desperately want to shift. The ones I've been looking at contain (shamelessly stolen from the manufacturers website!!)

Green Tea Extract (80% polyphenols, 45% epigallocatechin gallate, epicatechin)

Green tea, despite its modest name, contains certain active polyphenols that have been scientifically-demonstrated to have significant physiological effects, including fat loss, performance improvement and moderation of damaging cellular oxidation (antioxidant effects). Of particular interest is the catechin compound “epigallocatechin gallate”, which has been extensively investigated in several scientific studies and may be the most important legal, natural molecule in the war on fat! The specific green tea material used in Grenade Thermo Detonator has been manufactured to optimize levels of this compound.

Bitter Orange Extract (synephrine, octopamine, N-methyltyramine, tyramine, hordenine)

This ingredient is another custom-processed extract also known as citrus aurantium. Its principal active extract is synephrine, which is a sypathomimetic, meaning that it stimulates the hormones involved in mobilizing and oxidizing (burning) energy and it has been specifically shown to enhance lipolysis (fat breakdown).

N-methyltyramine and tyramine have the ability to release catecholamines, which are the most powerful fat burning hormones in the human body. Octopamine is the N-methylated analogue of synephrine and it also has the ability to stimulate fat breakdown.

Caffeine Anhydrous (1,3,7-trimethylxanthine)

Caffeine Anhydrous is a xanthine alkaloid that is well known in the scientific literature to mobilize fat from fatty tissue and to increase physical performance and mental focus.

Grapefruit Seed Extract (6,7- dihydroxybergamottin)

The extract of grapefruit seed, dihydroxybergamottin, is known to prolong the effects of various compounds involved in the fat-burning process.

Capsicum Annuum (capsaicin)

Prominent weight loss scientists have investigated the considerable research on capsaicin-containing natural ingredients and determined that they can both increase energy expenditure and fat oxidation (fat burning) so as to decrease the energy balance equation. This would of course be expected to reduce body fat levels.

Evodiamine (evodia fructus extract)

The scientific literature describes evodia fruit as a “hot nature” herb. Evodiamine is currently undergoing intensive investigation for its “thermogenic”, appetite-suppressing and “anti-obesity” effects that have already been demonstrated in the rodent model. These effects suggest increased fat and calorie burning along with decreased food cravings.

Yohimbe Bark Extract (yohimbine)

Traditionally used as an aphrodisiac, yohimbine has been shown to increase the mobilization of fat and the secretion of fat-metabolising hormones in healthy men. Yohimbine appears to deliver its effects via blockade of the alpha-2 adrenoreceptor, which prolongs the metabolism of norepinephrine – the body’s most potent fat-burning hormone.

Raspberry Ketones [4-(4-hydroxyphenyl) butan-2-one]

Raspberry ketones work much like capsaicin and evodia and they are also being studied for their ability to resist fat gains in rodents fed high-fat diets.

Phenylalanine (2-amino-3-phenylpropanoic acid)

This amino acid may help to elevate levels of the appetite-suppressing hormone cholecystokinin (a.k.a. CCK) and may promote better mood and attention levels.

Cocoa Bean Extract (methylxanthines, flavanols)

In addition to supporting good blood flow and its antioxidant effects, it has been suggested that cocoa flavanols may improve parameters associated with insulin function that may be impacted by the metabolic syndrome and obesity.

B-phenethylamine HCl (B-PEA)

Phenethylamine is directly involved in the release of not only norepinephrine (which has already been discussed for its fat-burning effects) but also dopamine. Higher dopamine levels are associated with improved mood and concentration.

Coleus Forskohlii (forskolin)

Forskolin has a direct influence on adenylate cyclase, this enzyme activates a second messenger called cAMP, which promotes the breakdown of fat in fat cells. This has been demonstrated in both humans and animals. It has also been shown to reduce body fat gains in adult humans.

Yerba Mate Leaf (caffeine, theobromine and theophylline)

This is a favourite energy drink of many South Americans who consume it much like coffee. It has naturally high levels of xanthine stimulants that may increase metabolic rate and have other common stimulant effects.

DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol)

This organic molecule is best known for its effects on alertness and mood and it may fuel neurotransmitter production in the body.

Has anyone used anything like this? If so whats the general consensus of opinion- worthwhile or worthless

Thanks

Kurt

Thank you for encompassing all my hatred and rage into a nice, tidy little list.

No.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you want to waste money, donate it to charity instead.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are just caffeine pills, so know that going in.
    Some contain acai berry, algae, gava root and a host of other exotic sounding ingredients, but the one thing they all have in common is lots and lots of caffeine.
    What a coincidence!:laugh:
    Here's the real deal. There are no shortcuts. There is no magic pill. If you take caffeine, you'll see some results until your body down regulates the effects, and then you must increase the dosage. And on and on...
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    And feel free to try it for yourself. Maybe your experience will be different.
    Good Luck :drinker:
  • laneydawn
    laneydawn Posts: 64
    Options
    Ive tried a few of those, and I agree that they do nothing. The one thing that I did try and I still take, is CLA. Its not a wonder drug or anything, but I find it does help melt some fat from the stubborn areas IF you are eatring properly and exercising. This is a good article on CLA
    http://naturalfactors.com/images/PIM/NF/Products/520__CLA-RS.pdf.pdf
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The only way to shift the middle aged spread (and believe me, I got plenty of it myself!) is to get your body fat amount AND percentage down. Spend your money on a good gym membership and hit the weights.
  • MorbidNTT
    MorbidNTT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can't say it is a waste of money. The caffeine boost on most of these are fantastic for morning work outs...
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So yeah, what everyone else is saying. Is there any effectiveness to the herbal ingredients in these products? Maybe. How much is the question. If shelling out $50 or more a month for supplements that give you let's say a 5% faster body fat reduction is worth it to you, then give it a shot. I wouldn't expect any more benefit than that. All about return on investment for ANY supplements, ESPECIALLY "fat burners"
  • MrTypical
    MrTypical Posts: 24
    Options
    It's all bull. Know of them work. Think of it this way, if even one of those worked, then all of the others wouldn't even be around, they couldn't compete. But since none of them work, they're all on the same level and they just have to compete to see who has the best marketing department.
    To get rid of mild MAS lift weights, the heavier the better. Try the Starting Strength program.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    if you want to waste money, donate it to charity instead.

^^^ this, in a nutshell.

think about it. if there was truly a pill that worked magic...wouldn't fewer people be overweight? Most people are overweight because they don't want to do the tried and true method of making healthy decisions consistently over time...they want easy ... they want overnight solutions. So I'm pretty dang sure if there was a pill that made things easy, and worked almost overnight....tons of folks would be taking it.

stick with the tried and true...and healthy...method. and send some spare money to charity.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you want your liver and kidneys to rot and fall out, by all means continue to flood them with all of those herbs and supplements.

If you'd rather not have massive organ failure, best to stick to a sensible plan of nutrition, exercise, and hydration.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Voodoo
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Go get some caffeine pills (200mg) at the local pharmacy, and a box of Bronk-Aid (25mg Ephedrine sulfate) . Take one of each with a full glass of water after breakfast.

Go run around the block a few times. :)
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    They're all probably bunk. There might be some small metabolic boost from some combination of supplements, but I've yet to find one that's been rigorously tested by anyone I find trustworthy and proven to work.

I do take some supplements for their supposed affect on insulin resistance, but I'm not sure they're doing anything but putting money into the supplement company's pockets.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    did anyone actually read past the first line??? if so - i'm impressed! you have more patience than I do!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Possibly the only product that actually did help some was products with Ma Huang (ephedra sinica) but the FDA has basically outlawed the stuff. Honestly I don't think that stuff helped as much as it just made you jittery. Just have some strong coffee in the morning and you're going to spend less and enjoy the same benefit as those pills. I don't think any of those give you enough of an edge to make it worth wasting the money on.

Real fat busting is done by lowering calories but they can't make money marketing you to consume less so you won't hear the truth at GNC.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Go get some caffeine pills (200mg) at the local pharmacy, and a box of Bronk-Aid (25mg Ephedrine sulfate) . Take one of each with a full glass of water after breakfast.

See, you go out and say what I carefully qualify all my statements on weight loss pills to hint at without actually telling someone to go do something questionably legal and possibly unhealthy for them.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

I would not recommend this advice blindly
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The only way to shift the middle aged spread (and believe me, I got plenty of it myself!) is to get your body fat amount AND percentage down. Spend your money on a good gym membership and hit the weights.

^This. You don't need a pill for that.
  • Dani_Detroit
    Options
    Tried them in the past and nothing happened. Spent so much money are trash and felt like a fool as I threw the rest in the trash can