Is this true???? Abs is 80% what you eat :/

Options
This girl in another forum that i'm in said this.

abs are made in the kitchen!

you gotta eat right. its like 80% of what you eat and only like 20% of how you exercise.

I'm trying to understand how you can get abs by only exercising 20% of the time.. how is this possible?

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Basically what it means is you can do a million crunches per day, but are eating crap, you aren't going to get the look you are going for.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    All weight loss in general is about calories/what you eat. Exercise is for fitness. Everyone has abs, they are covered by fat. Of course exercise will define them more but you'll never see them if fat is covering them up.
  • soon2b_1fitmama
    Options
    Basically what it means is you can do a million crunches per day, but are eating crap, you aren't going to get the look you are going for.

but if you are eating clean and only exercising 20% wouldn't you just have a flat stomach... not abs

I mean if this is true.. it's awesome.. i should be getting abs anytime now lol
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yes it's true EAT MORE ABS!
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Not really , for proportioned good abs it's about 50-50 with eating and training.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can actually get abs with very little or no exercise. All you need is a low bodyfat %. So if you lose enough fat, you will get a 6 pack. Look at skinny 9 year old boys, many have 6 packs and don't workout, they are just active and/or don't eat a lot.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options

but if you are eating clean and only exercising 20% wouldn't you just have a flat stomach... not abs

It's not saying you only do 20% of exercise--it's saying that your abs showing is mostly about your diet, not about exercise. Exercise creates the muscle underneath--diet helps you lose the fat you need to for your abs to show.
  • mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    Options
    I have heard this before and sad...BUT makes me push harder working out and watching what I eat....I WANT THOSE 6-PACK ABS!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

We all have defined abs under a layer of fat, it is all about stripping the layer of fat off so you can see them. If you want bodybuilder type abs (pop out) then you may need weighted ab exercises.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Abs and your more muscles in general basically sheath your entire midsection; they are designed for mobility and stability. By simple nature of these muscles they typically do not get very large even on a caloric surplus and work. You typically only see large, bulky, yet still defined abdominals on either power lifters or steroid abusers (roid gut).

As others have said, we all have a six pack (8 pack technically), it's just covered by a layer of fat. Reduce your overall body fat percentage et voila, abs. Nonetheless you should be doing a mix of strength training, cardio, and diet.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Because you already have abs, they are covered with layers of fat. If you want to see them you have to reduce your level of fat. The way to do that is with a caloric deficit. ie making sure you are eating less than you are burning.

If you spend all day doing crunches and planks etc, all you are doing is making your abs bigger and wider. If you don't reduce the fat, then all you are doing is increasing the size of your abdomen area. The exact opposite of the goal.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    What does exercising 20% mean to you?
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You can actually get abs with very little or no exercise. All you need is a low bodyfat %. So if you lose enough fat, you will get a 6 pack. Look at skinny 9 year old boys, many have 6 packs and don't workout, they are just active and/or don't eat a lot.
    Agreed! Abs are made in the kitchen and maintained by physical activity. :D IMHO
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    Yes it's true EAT MORE ABS!

:laugh: luv that
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It all about what how you eat...everyone has abs already. Your core gets worked through various every day movements. With the right diet helping you reach a low enough body fat, you can have visible abs without ever working out.
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Generally for women you have to get down ti a body fat % below 20%. And that's definitely done more in the kitchen.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yes, what we eat accounts for most of our appearance. Fitness is importance for health, strength and stamina and can do some to tone the body. Aside from that, genetics seems to be a big factor in how everything is positioned on our bodies. No getting around that one, unless you go the cosmetic surgery route, which I don't.
  • cherrybl0ssoms
    cherrybl0ssoms Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It doesn't mean you only work out 20% of the time - it means that your diet is more important than exercise when it comes to abs. If you want abs, you need to decrease your processed food and eliminate sugar, soda and alcohol. Eat clean, whole, healthy foods and exercise. You have to burn the fat off to see your abs - doing a million crunches won't do that - you need to eat right and keep your metabolism up to burn fat first.

So it's 80% what you eat, and 20% working out that gives you defined abs.
  • soon2b_1fitmama
    Options
    ahh got it! :-) this is awesome!
    motivates me to eat cleaner
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    you gotta eat right. its like 80% of what you eat and only like 20% of how you exercise.

That is that 80% of the effort is in your diet and 20% of the effort is with exercise. Women can get a nicely defined midsection without the exercise but if you're wanting to see 6 individual raised sections you're going to have to put in some exercise to get the muscles to pop more. Still that's nothing compared to the effort you'll need to put into eating clean. Hope that helps.