Who's training for a marathon????

Options
2»

Replies

• OMGlob
    OMGlob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "Hey there! I'm training for an Oct marathon and am following Hal Higdon's novice 1 plan. Was supposed to have done my first one in April but had a nasty bout of tedonitis which put my plans on hold. All is good now though and am back on track having done a steady 12 miler at the weekend. Only problem I'm having is trying to work out how much I should be eating whilst running 25+ miles per week??? I want to lose weight (obviously) but need to know I have enough gas in the tank to do my running! Any suggestions??"

My advice is to lose the weight first, then train for the marathon. You can't really expect to eat less when you're training, and weight loss is all about less calories in than out! This MFP seems to have a healthy approach though, if you exercise and burn 500 calories, you need to add those 500 calories back into your total consumed for the day.
  • OMGlob
    OMGlob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "Hey there! I'm training for an Oct marathon and am following Hal Higdon's novice 1 plan. Was supposed to have done my first one in April but had a nasty bout of tedonitis which put my plans on hold. All is good now though and am back on track having done a steady 12 miler at the weekend. Only problem I'm having is trying to work out how much I should be eating whilst running 25+ miles per week??? I want to lose weight (obviously) but need to know I have enough gas in the tank to do my running! Any suggestions??"

My advice is to lose the weight first, then train for the marathon. You can't really expect to eat less when you're training, and weight loss is all about less calories in than out! This MFP seems to have a healthy approach though, if you exercise and burn 500 calories, you need to add those 500 calories back into your total consumed for the day.

Sorry - pressing buttons too quickly!!!

I don't want to put marathon plans on hold whilst I lose weight - I want my training to help me lose weight! I just want to make sure I'm not putting either goal at risk. I don't think they are incompatible - I just think that I need to be sensible and not mess up either:-)
  • gpark33
    gpark33 Posts: 9
    Options

Sorry - pressing buttons too quickly!!!

I don't want to put marathon plans on hold whilst I lose weight - I want my training to help me lose weight! I just want to make sure I'm not putting either goal at risk. I don't think they are incompatible - I just think that I need to be sensible and not mess up either:-)
    Sensible is key. If you don't have tons to lose, they can probably safely be done at the same time.
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just registered today for the Disney Princess half marathon. :) I am no runner, but I plan on start training once my ankle heals.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have 3 half marathons this fall and a full next Feb!