High Protein (> 175g) diets?

Options
2»

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Protein powders (like whey isolates, etc.) are not really that expensive when you compare the price of a scoop of protein with the amount of protein you get out of a chicken breast and how much you paid of the chicken.

I don't have the exact numbers but I've heard that you pay about $.90 per scoop of protein and get about 24 grams on average depending on the brand.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! That's an insane amount of protein! That would be nearly half of my calorie intake! I guess that's a good thing if you're looking to build huge muscles.

I want to be more of an endurance athlete body type. I certainly would never need to eat that much protein. I'd have a higher carb diet.

It's roughly 35% of my daily intake... I'm just trying to limit the amount of LBM I lose while I lose the fat, and it appears that strength training and a diet ranging between 1.6-2.2g of protein per kg of body weight is the best way to accomplish that. Once I established the protein reqs, I decided how much fat I wanted to include in my diet (30%), and then the carbs kinda fell into place.

If I was performing in an endurance event, I would probably look into carb loading before the event. :)
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I get over 250g most days and shoot for 315g daily as my target.

Protein shakes
    Protein bars
    Egg whites (not much fat in the whites)
    Nuts
    Tuna - you can do 2 tins in one sitting easily with water to wash it down or put a dash of extra light mayo and some sweetcorn in it.
    Cottage cheese is your best friend
    Chicken - you won't see it in my diary as I'm having a break from the chicken right now after doing 200g chicken breast daily for a year.
    Turkey
    Quorn (vegetarian meat substitute) is solid
    Brocolli
    Try and select your carb sources based on the protein content - eg. Bulgur wheat is a carb source but is higher in protein than rice.

Take a look in my diary if you like, however I've been a bit lax on logging lately so you might need to go back a few weeks.

Jay
  • Vonwarr
    Options
    Protein powders (like whey isolates, etc.) are not really that expensive when you compare the price of a scoop of protein with the amount of protein you get out of a chicken breast and how much you paid of the chicken.

I don't have the exact numbers but I've heard that you pay about $.90 per scoop of protein and get about 24 grams on average depending on the brand.

I need to recalculate... I generally buy chicken in bulk when it goes on sale (I literally just bought 23lbs of it - each breast is individually wrapped in my freezer right now) so I'm not sure that protein powders really are cheaper for me. but that's a good point, I'll check that it actually IS more expensive. It just feels like it's getting expensive if I'm hitting up a protein shake like 3 times in a day to try and hit my macro.
  • jayb0ne
    Options

This!

Except my protein shake gives me 40g protein per scoop and I get another 5g from the Leucine I throw in on top. 110 scoops costs me £42 so that's £0.38 or about $0.61 a scoop.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

I need to recalculate... I generally buy chicken in bulk when it goes on sale (I literally just bought 23lbs of it - each breast is individually wrapped in my freezer right now) so I'm not sure that protein powders really are cheaper for me. but that's a good point, I'll check that it actually IS more expensive. It just feels like it's getting expensive if I'm hitting up a protein shake like 3 times in a day to try and hit my macro.

You had me at 23lbs of chicken.
  • jayb0ne
    Options

I take one shake in the morning every day and on training days I take another shake post workout. That's fixed and I don't have more to try and hit my macro target, so the rest of my protein intake has to be from whole food.

But that's just me...
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm on 150g at 2300 calories a day. I can easily enough make this up with food and 1 scoop protein powder (that has 24g protein) Most of the time I have 2 main meals a day, these would most include meat (which is actually more expensive to keep eating than it is to supplement with protein powder) These 2 meals would be approx 40-70g protein each. Breakfast would be around 20g (porridge).

When I was bulking I'd usually have between 170 and 200g protein a day, on around 3200 calories. This was a lot easier to achieve because I had 900 extra calories, but only around 20-50g protein extra to make up - basically an large extra meal. During this I usually had 2 scoops a day on workout days, and 1 the rest of the time.

My most favoured protein sources:
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Beef
    Protein Powder
    Cheese

Other sources:
    Nuts
    Fish
    Pork
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese

Things that don't have large amounts of protein per serving, but still have a fair amount considering the calories, and can all add up quickly:
    Veg such as broccoli or peas
    Greek yogurt
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I weigh 100 lbs and the highest amount of protein I've had to date was 162g last Sat. Every day I aim to eat between 110g and 170g. I've noticed I have significantly more energy on days of greater protein consumption.

I eat a lot of lean turkey, lean hamburger, tuna, salmon, cheese, eggs, quinoa, and Greek yogurt.
  • Vonwarr
    Options

I take one shake in the morning every day and on training days I take another shake post workout. That's fixed and I don't have more to try and hit my macro target, so the rest of my protein intake has to be from whole food.

But that's just me...

This is basically the goal I want to reach in my diet, I don't mind supplementing, but I don't want that to be my major protein source!
  • Vonwarr
    Options
    Basically one way to look at it is eat like you were a vegetarian who was being conscious about getting protein into their diet. And then also eat a lot of meat. Followed by a protein shake.

This is probably the best way to sum it up... I have a couple of vegetarian friends who lift some serious weights (so probably focus on protein). I think I'm going to harass them for food substitute ideas... and then eat meat/protein shakes on top of it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    3000 calories a day, 200 protein, 100 fat

Chicken
    Tuna
    Eggs
    Protein Powder
    Red Meat
    Deli meats by the pound

These things help me hit my macros
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I do supplement with whey protein powders, but they are quite EXPENSIVE, and I'd rather them be an after-workout thing to take advantage of the window or only necessary on the occasional day, instead of becoming a necessary staple in my diet.

I buy the following 5 lb. bag from Sams Club. It comes out to about $0.45 per scoop of 20g of protein. I normally have 4 a day which adds 80 grams of protein at only about $1.80. That's really a good value in my book.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3900026#desc

Chicken is close to the same in cost but there's the added expense of cooking it because I like to use charcoal. Still it's not much more and there's no way I would just have protein shakes for every meal. Grilled chicken is yummy, yummy. Check the food diary.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of protein as well. You can add me as a friend if you'd like to look at my diary to see where I get the protein from. It's mostly from chicken, fish, Greek yogurt, milk, and protein powder.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    i eat a minimum of 150g of protein per day, but usually end up closer to 165.

in order to reach my protein goal, i include a solid amount of protein per meal. for example, i have chicken breast for breakfast with eggs. at lunch i have turkey burger, and at dinner i have salmon. i eat a lot of other carbs/fat along with these things though.