What is the better sugar substitute?

Options

Replies

• barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use both splenda and stevia, but honestly, stevia is way better for you because it's natural.....
  • bellalina7
    Options
    Truvia = 0 calories
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    definitely not splenda. try stevia or truvia
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I've heard of Splenda, Nutrasweet, and Sweet-N-Low all having side effects and they are artificially created. I use Stevia. It has a tad of an aftertaste, but at least it is plant derived. There's probably something wrong with it, too, but for me it is the lesser of evils.

Splenda is made from Corn. I have toured that plant. However, I don't think coming from plants really makes it or Stevia any healthier by the time the chemical processing is complete.

And for whoever was talking about agave nector - it is pretty good, but it has calories and is similar to honey or molasses.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I prefer Stevia if I had to use a sugar substitute. I mostly go without sugar in tea/coffee but have also opted for honey in my tea. Especially in green tea.
  • katnohat
    katnohat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Stevia FTW! Zero calories, tastes better than the other sweeteners (in my opinion), and it is natural and plant-derived instead of artificial. For me it's a win-win situation.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Instead of dumping chemicals into your coffee, try retraining your palette instead.

I've been a hopeless caffeine addict for years. I stopped putting sugar in my coffee about 15 years ago because I was getting way to many cavities. Every time I went to the dentist, they'd find a new one. So, I started drinking my coffee without sugar. It was tough at first. It took a couple weeks to get used to. Now, I can't stand sugar in my coffee. Oh, and I get a lot fewer cavities.

I have but I'm back to sweetened coffee with cream. Just the way it will have to be. I haven't gone back to sweetened tea, though.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    For me, Truvia tastes the best. I used to use Splenda till I tried it. Try them both and see what you prefer.
    Absolutely this!
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I use both splenda and stevia, but honestly, stevia is way better for you because it's natural.....

So are hemlock, radon, poison ivy and snake venom.

Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's good for you.
  • lipsticknlattes
    lipsticknlattes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    definitely not splenda. try stevia or truvia
    Agreed.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I use maple syrup in my coffee sometimes
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Uhm I see everyone posting about calories but I missed any post about grams of sugar.

I started using splenda ( never heard of stevia and truvia but I already have their websites open to read after my post), because according to recommended MFP settings I should take about 40g of sugar a day. Since My sugars where high on my last check-up, I had to use what I ever called yucky-splenda.

So, if you are just worrying about calories, sugar doesn't give you much to your counts, but be aware, many other things have sugar too, specially milk, snacks, cereals, bread, any sweet beverage, end so on, even using slenda I pass my limit every day (yes I am so much into cereals and bread which is something I accept as bad, but is not my point here).

If you don't eat a lot of 'sugary;' products during your days, cane sugar or honey in your coffee doesn't matter much IMO (IMO!).

I struggled with that a little because I drink at least 2 coffees a day, so I know what you are passing through haha. In fact, is coffee time here!

Oh btw poeple, since I had the sites open and if you are interested in reading about them, here are the sites:

Stevia: http://www.stevia.com/ (looks a little like those miracle products site with their 'buy x you get y' lol)
    Truvia: http://truvia.com/
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says if you are going to have an sugar substitute you should use Stevia!
  • whodatlixxie
    Options
    If you haven't gone down the sugar substitue route DON"T START NOW!!! The little bit of sugar in your coffee is not that big of a deal. Log the calories and move on.
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I thought Sucralose was the best.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Splenda and truvia, but when I smell the truvia, it has a very chemical smell which really puts me off, so I have orders some stevia drops.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love splenda, use it ALOT...
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Natvia for sure. It is 100% natural NO ASPARTAME / sweetener 950..959. It is made from stevia and fruit nectar and was developed for taste with coffee and tea in mind. If you are not insulin resistant then honey or molasses sugar (less refined sugars) may be an option, but if you are insulin resistant, then Natvia has no impact on blood glucose and is only 0.6 calories. Insulin resistance is not the same thing as diabetes. IR is often behind failure to lose weight despite exercising and dieting. Best wishes.
  • svetz
    svetz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with my coffee. I was able to stop using sugar of any variety by switching my creamer. I can't give that up and so by killing two birds with one stone, its myone daily indulgence. Look for Coffeemate liquid Italian Sweet Cream... it has no more sugar than any other flavor, but yet it is so delish that I cut the sugar out all together. And I definately like my coffee sweet, so that could work for you too!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    At 16 cals a teaspoon, I use sugar when I need a sweetener. You might also like to gradually cut down the amount you add (try 1.5 tsp instead of two for a while, then reduce to 1, then half... maybe you'll find you don't need it at all.

I don't like the taste of any of the sugar substitutes I've tried, so I'm trying to cut added sugar out altogether - I don't have it in coffee and add fruit to my porridge instead of sugar or honey. I still eat it in desserts, chocolate etc but just try to keep them as a "sometimes food" to quote the Cookie Monster.