database

Options
How in the world can the database say 180 calories for a cup of Tomato Soup when right on the can it says 100? It seems like a lot of the database stuff is off....Is it only me or do others find this??

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It can say 18,000 if that's what someone entered. If it's wrong just change it.
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    Yeah, much of the database is user submitted. Take it with a grain of salt. I always add in something as a "my food" so I know I have accurate numbers for processed type foods.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It could say 180 if they prepared their tomato soup with milk... 1/2 cup of whole milk is roughly 80 calories.

But the contributor could have read it wrong, typed it wrong... if it's user supplied it can be edited by another user... user entries are marked with * on the computer at least.

Once you've selected which food to use for your diary, and it moves to the right where you tell it how much to log, click nutritional info right under the food name on the right... "is this info correct?"

if yes - it counts as a verification, closes and you can log it
    if no - you'll be asked if you want to correct it.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If it's wrong in the database, just correct it. But make sure that the portion sizes are matching. 1 can of soup often has more than 1 serving for some reason.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Even worse than them having just more than 1 serving, they sell a 284 mL (10 fl oz) can of soup and the "serving size" is 125mL or... 2.272 servings per can... be nice if they would make the serving size based on either half the can or the full can but they make you do funky math to figure out the calories in the can.