bad knees (dislocate a lot)&pinched Sciatic Nerve!

Options
I find it so hard to do a lot of the workouts others do, as I can't really put weight on my knees (ie:kneeling at all) without them locking/dislocating and it's very painful for me to straighten them back right after that.

I also can't bend at the waist like most. I can't keep my right leg straight, ever.
Right Sciatic Nerve (you have 2, one on each side of your body from your spine to each foot) is pinched, from being obese.

Anyone else have any of these problems? What are things that work for you / excersizes you can do without pain!

Replies

• pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Can you walk? that's my main exercise and pretty easy on the ole body!
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    I walk as much as I can - Just some days I can't walk a lot -_-
    The nerve sends HORRIBLE pain down my leg some days.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Any activity where you are in water is hands-down the best thing you could possibly do. It'll allow you to be fully active, but will take a lot of weight off your knee. The pressure of the water around you knee will also help support the joint, preventing further injury and pain.
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a back injury and I was in a train crash in february so I have problems with most exercises as well. I have a few that work for me
    Biking: Go slow and keep your distances small until your comfortable dont ride in high gear, at the gym they have recumbant bikes with back supports. those work well also.
    Swimming: Find a free beach and just go swim at it.
    Clubs: Get some friends together go to a club and dance, not only is it fun but it burns tons of calories.
    Otherwise walking is always great.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think water exercise is a good choice for you. It is so incredibly difficult to begin exercising when you are facing giant obstacles, but any obstacle can be overcome.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem you will have problems, if you do high impact arobics, but I walk and do yoga and pilates, weights and I use ice and heat packs often and it helps. You have to move even when you dont want to cause when you dont move it will make it worst. You can try physical therpy it helps I did and they show you streching that really helps. I have had days where I could not even walk and I would do pilates and ice and heat and it would help. I hope this helps just keep moving.
  • 5kids
    5kids Posts: 3
    Options
    I have the same problem with my left knee. Goes out on me, extreme pain, trouble sleeping, can't bend it and put weight on it at same time. I'm extremely overweight which makes it worse. I got a treadmill and have been walking on it at a slow (2.2 mph) pace at an incline of 5%. The incline takes the pressure off the knee while still providing exercise (this advice was given to me by a fitness trainer at the local gym). I love to walk but am too scared to do it outside cuz if my knee goes out, I'm in trouble (you can relate to that). I've been walking 5 min at a time several times a day. It does not seem to make my knee any worse. Another thing you can try, is treading water in a pool. The water keeps the weight off of the knee and sciatic nerve and also keeps the muscles cool while working them.