Any ladies afraid of bulking up too much?

Options

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Do you use chalk?

Na. I do wear gloves but eventually my fingers get tired. Maybe chalk would be better. I'm waiting for the day I do it to total fatigue and it slips. I'll probably get a lot of dirty look for that. :laugh:

Gloves don't help in my experience.

Chalk works wonders. No harm In using straps from time to time either, as long as you don't rely on them.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

I run.. I lift, and I look damn good.

Everything in moderation when working out.

Oh my goodness you are such a revoluntinary.. how could we ever get along with out this information?
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    AMEN! I hope to be able to lift as heavy as u one day!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    i once glanced sidelong at a power rack and woke up the next morning with an additional 35 lbs. of lean body mass and a glowing mahogany spray tan.

truth.

Were your arms legs and chest hairless too? I hear that happens to some people. It's like the steel in the free weight section emits gamma radiation that explodes your muscles and makes your hair disappear. That probably accounts for the glowing tan too.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    These kinds of posts are starting to get just as annoying as all the ones of women thinking that they are going to get bulky.

Note: I'm not disagreeing with your post. Just think that the horse has been beaten plenty of times.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    this post was not what i expected, and i am SO glad for that! :drinker:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Just think that the horse has been beaten plenty of times.

This is MFP, that's what it's all about. I sense a "Why you should eat your exercise calories back" or a "One pound of muscle is heavier than one-pound of fat" thread approaching. Poor horsey...
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Oh oh I'm one of those 5lb weight girls =( I know it wont really work, but in all honesty I was a little nervous of bulking up, but after this think I might start going heavier. What weight would you recommend to be starting with?
  • iWaffle
    Options
    If the horse would have been doing Romanian dead lifts he would have survived. Just saying. :wink:
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    Honestly, when I forst started out I could only use the 3 lb. weights. But I kept moving up and I'm using tens now. I'm just gonna' keep on keepin' on!

I don't think I'm bulky at all. I'm defined and toned.

Now I use the 3 lb weights to just carry around while I do cardio. Increases my HR and burns more calories!
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Don't disrespect the 3# weights. Those are great for keeping your workout chart from blowing away when the ceiling fans are on.
    [/quote]

Love this!! because I bought the little Jillian Michaels kit for the jump rope, water bottle, and mat=good price. Those three pound weights have been on the floor for about 8 months, unused! I LIFT HEAVY!! I have been for about 9 months and my arms are starting to look good but still have more weight to loose so...
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Do you use chalk?

Na. I do wear gloves but eventually my fingers get tired. Maybe chalk would be better. I'm waiting for the day I do it to total fatigue and it slips. I'll probably get a lot of dirty look for that. :laugh:

Oh, take off dem gloves. Gloves make your grip worse, not better. Callouses are your friend! :) I'm pulling a fair amount of wait off the deck for DL's and Rack Pulls and I have yet to need chalk or straps. Ditch the gloves and do some heavy (6-8 reps) of hammer curls.

Damn it!! I use gloves so I don't get Callouses. I want to lift like a man, not have man hands.....:sad:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If the horse would have been doing Romanian dead lifts he would have survived. Just saying. :wink:

LMAO, I think I'm about the only person that beats the RDL horse around here. Do them! :angry: :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think at this point it's just a myth that women are afraid of getting bulky. Enough already. It's posts like this that cause people to find weight lifting annoying. Seriously. I just want to lift weights and not get lectures about "bulky", "barbie weights", bla bla bla.

You can show your progress and feel proud (that is wonderful), but you can stop with all the "bulky this, bulky that, bulky bulky bulky bla bla bla, that's the only word we know".

If you want to address this issue stop complaining about women thinking they are going to get bulky and instead request that the women that take steroids and testosterone stop doing that because they are the ones that have led to the misconception (if this misconception actually even exists anymore). I could care less what anyone does. I want to lift weights and never hear the word bulky ever again. I'm also a professional dancer and that does not mean I am afraid of getting bulky, it means dancing is my passion.

Honestly I think the women that say they don't want to get bulky are just using that as an excuse because they don't want to lift weights. Who cares what they do or don't do.

I'm relieved to see I am not the only one that thinks this topic is overdone.

It's not motivational. It's talking down to people or trying to force people to do something they don't want to do and it doesn't work.

Instead, if you show your beautiful body and talk about what you lift and why you love it, that is motivational!!!
  • iWaffle
    Options
    Damn it!! I use gloves so I don't get Callouses. I want to lift like a man, not have man hands.....:sad:

I've never bought gloves. My wife buys them for me. She says the callouses make back massages less enjoyable. I've almost shredded this pair now. Several of the fingers are torn off. I'm sure I'll mysteriously get another pair for my birthday. :smile:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

This is MFP, that's what it's all about. I sense a "Why you should eat your exercise calories back" or a "One pound of muscle is heavier than one-pound of fat" thread approaching. Poor horsey...

Haha, yes I know. Or possibly a carbs are evil thread or a my husband doesn't support me thread...
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Haha, yes I know. Or possibly a carbs are evil thread or a my husband doesn't support me thread...

Forget all that. What I really want to know is if I should have a cheat day or not. The answer is still a mystery to me.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm always trying to get women to understand that they won't bulk up!!

Speaking from experience of having gone through a "bulk" to gain a bit of muscle, it's a lot of hard work, and it certainly doesn't happen by accident!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think at this point it's just a myth that women are afraid of getting bulky.

Sadly, it's not. One of my friends on here made that very comment today, that she's avoiding heavier weights because she doesn't want to be bulky. And I lift heavy, as do many of my other friends.

What we all need to remember is that today is someone's very first day on here. As sick as we might be of exercise calories, raspberry keytones, starvation mode, getting bulky, etc... to someone else, it's a brand new discussion. And this forum software doesn't handle searches very well. So... yeah, if you've been a member a long time, there's a lot of repetition. But not everyone has been here that long.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I've never bought gloves. My wife buys them for me. She says the callouses make back massages less enjoyable. I've almost shredded this pair now. Several of the fingers are torn off. I'm sure I'll mysteriously get another pair for my birthday. :smile:

Well I'd like to keep my nice soft girly hands so am going to stick with them and persevere with making my grip stronger :happy:
    P.S Callouses on a man are hot, I like my men to feel like a man, not a boy. Just my opinion