20 pounds down, almost halfway there! (pics)

Options
So my weight loss journey started about ten years ago and through a series of fad diets, miracle pills and bouts with borderline anorexia & fasts followed by binging I went from an out of shape 135 to a VERY out of shape 189. Possibly even higher. I have attempted atkins, south beach, windsor pilates, the ab roller, that ab electrocutor thing, body wraps, soup diets, smoothie diets, weight watchers, and even those $150/bottle diet pills they advertise on tv (which work by the way.... if you don't mind heart palitations, anxiety attacks & dizzy spells and you want to take them forever because as soon as you stop you gain it all back with interest).

Through all of this I have gained quite a bit of knowledge about how my body works and how to lose weight, even lose it fast, but I have never learned how to maintain my weight. At the end of last year I joined the Planet Fitness gym that opened less than a half mile from home and started working out sporadically but had just started working for a bank who's training program included fabulous pasta lunches, all the chocolates and pop you can eat and lots of sitting around. My weight jumped up to the highest its ever been (I stopped weighing myself at 189, I'm sure I was over that but I didnt want to know). Once out of my training I started with my new office and one of the women I worked with had lost 50 lbs in the last year and taken up running 5ks and she's over 50! I decided I had to do something and what I had been doing was NOT working for me. Instead of trying to lose quickly I decided to train for a 5k. I re-started couch to 5k (I have attempted it several times before but during borderline anorexia phases and couldn't make it through the workouts) as well as hitting the weights at the gym and adjusted my mfp to lose only .5lbs a week. I ate most of my workout calories back and stopped looking at my diet on a day by day basis trying to stay under the 1700 calories per day I work on staying under 12,000 calories per week which makes it much easier to enjoy my weekends because I can bank a few hundred extra calories through the week to go out to eat on the weekend.

Its working, slowly but surely weight is dropping off. Back in April before my first 5k (finished in 37 minutes!) I took some "before" pics and then yesterday when I weighed myself and realized I was at 168.9, 20 lbs down from my start! I took some progress pics to compare and I couldn't be happier. I'm a long way from my first goal which is 145 but I'm finally losing, and I feel good, and while there have been a few days here and there where I've still fallen back to my "this will never work so why bother" mindset I snap myself out of it and get myself back on track.

My before's are at 187 lbs, and my current pics are 168.9.
photo.jpgphoto2.jpg

photo1.jpgphoto4.jpg

oh and my secret? its easy: I eat. I run. I lift. repeat! setting myself at a loss of .5 lbs a week gave me about 1600 calories a day, I recently upped it to 1700 because I've been lifting more. I average between 1400-2200 calories a day, generally I net around 1400-1600. I started out doing 3-5 days of cardio and 2-3 days of lifting but I've adjusted that a little trying for 4 days of lifting, 4 days of cardio and one full rest day where all I do is walk my dogs. I try to eat at least 70% cleanly, nixing most processed and fried foods and cutting way down on more processed carbs like bread and instead eating oats, sweet potatoes rice & fruits to get my carb intake. I have increased my fat intake adding coconut & flax oils to my breakfast every morning and I eat as much protein as I can stand. I look at my calorie intake from a full week standpoint. I know I tend to be under in cals during the week and I bank those calories for going out to eat on the weekends. I don't believe in "cheat" meals anymore, if I want to splurge today I make up for it with a heavy workout tomorrow and cutting back a little for the rest of the week to make up for it. With that being said I do believe in enjoying myself! I ate at Cici's Pizza the other day, I had a klondike bar last night (and fully plan to have another one tonight!). I know that this time is different because I've stopped with my "all or nothing" approach to weight loss and have become a lot more realistic. I can't lose 45 lbs overnight, it just doesn't work that way, but I am teaching myself healthy habits so that when I do hit my goal I can transition to maintenance much easier.

anyway, yay me! I've lost 20 lbs!!!!!

Replies

• brushe
    brushe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    amazing work and results!
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    you are looking great, well done on getting it sussed as to what works for you - I love your approach :)
  • kinghavok
    kinghavok Posts: 104
    Options
    You go!
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work! You are a true testimate that hard work pays off, quick fixes do not! Thanks for posting this and being an inspiration to all of us! Kuddo's to you!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Dude. Seriously?? AMAZING

You are rocking this and I LOVE your story. You are such an inspiration. I'm so glad that you found the perfect balance for yourself and are doing it the smart way and not the quick fix / unhealthy way.

YAY for 20lbs that got kicked out the door and hooray for your continued progress (and no doubt success). :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Nikiki (my friend) your transformation so far is awesome, keep it up and keep taking pics. We will look at the next 20 and say, remember when? Let's keep doing this together.... Thanks for sharing your journey so far. You look fantastic. Great job ~ great accomplishment.
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 20 pounds, but mainly on your new mindset. Reading your story is like reading my own experience, except I just started recently and have only lost 5 lbs., but Im so proud of myself cuase for the first time in my life Im doing it the best way possible and not wanting to lose it all in one day to end up gaining it all back and then some. It really is a lifestyle and I finally see it that way!
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    Awesome! Thans for sharing your story and good for you for taking the time to really figure out what would work for you for the long haul!
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Your attitude is perfect and it shows by the results you have so far. Keep it up! You're doing wonderfully. :)
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Nikiki (my friend) your transformation so far is awesome, keep it up and keep taking pics. We will look at the next 20 and say, remember when? Let's keep doing this together.... Thanks for sharing your journey so far. You look fantastic. Great job ~ great accomplishment.
    Tue 07/10/12 05:39 PM
    Dude. Seriously?? AMAZING

You are rocking this and I LOVE your story. You are such an inspiration. I'm so glad that you found the perfect balance for yourself and are doing it the smart way and not the quick fix / unhealthy way.

YAY for 20lbs that got kicked out the door and hooray for your continued progress (and no doubt success).

Thanks you two!!! I'm glad I've got support from people like you to keep me on track and motivated :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!