In need of a good muscle building program

Options
Hey Guys,

I have used several muscle building programs and they just dont seem to work for me or I give up on them....Can someone give me a good one to follow for approx. 45- 1 hour work out.

Cheers

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what you have done it's kind of hard. Best bet is to read this, has plenty of routines as well as very specific-no-nonsense advice:

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)

If you don't read all of it Santa is giving you coal for Christmas.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit program...it's on bodybuilding.com. It's a 90 day program...I'm only on day 10, but it is going well. I've been lifting for a while, so if you're experienced, it won't be anything new. The workouts do get very intense the last 6 weeks and will likely be 1.5 hours long, so that may not be for you, but it's something to look into nonetheless...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what you have done it's kind of hard. Best bet is to read this, has plenty of routines as well as very specific-no-nonsense advice:

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)

If you don't read all of it Santa is giving you coal for Christmas.

Nice link. I'm really surprised that somebody would put 5/3/1 in the advanced section, I think Jim and Louie would disagree a bit on that one.
  • NewtonCrosby
    NewtonCrosby Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/main.html

I've been using this site lately to get ideas for lifting routines. I like it so far. Lots of different categories for all levels of experience and the people who run the site are very knowledgeable and helpful if you ever have questions. Plus within the routine list if you see something you don't recognize, just click it and you'll get a short video showing proper form as well as tips for that particular exercise.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/y3t-neil-hill-9-week-hardcore-video-trainer.html im using this program right now it is working great for me!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I have used several muscle building programs and they just dont seem to work for me or I give up on them....Can someone give me a good one to follow for approx. 45- 1 hour work out.

Cheers

Sounds like you have your answer right there. You have used several programs but THEY just don't seem to work.. I gather "they" means all of em? I think the problem is the " I give up on them"

Time:
    Lets goto the basics building muscle takes time.... a lot of time. Natural bbers can usually gain average of 2lbs in a month and thats sleeping,eating,training repeating consistantly.
    So lets put that in perspective 2x12(months in a year) is 24lbs of muscle and if your lucky 24 lbs of fat equalling a 1:1 ratio
    So if you want to build muscle you better start thinking realistically where you stand here and how long it will take you.

Diet
    It may take eating as low as 300 cals up 1000 calories per day extra over your maintenance calorie level to start gaining depending on your body type as well as eating at least your weight in grams of protein. For me I eat 1.3grams of protein per whole body weight. This has to be consistant and it can be expensive so you have to think of how dedicated you would be and can you afford all the food.

Training
    As you said you have used several plans so you have got a good idea of what you like and don't like so you can customize your own plan or simply follow the many out there. I tend to customize mine every so often hitting every muscle group I can on certain days. One thing remains the same out of all the plans though, after I warm up I lift 75+% of my max reps, or I am simply burning out at 6-8reps doing 5-6 sets.

Motivation
    You always have to find some thing to keep you motivated so you don't give up. Find things to remind you and make you say "oh yeah this why I am doing this again" Example: Before and after pics, movies, chicks, or what ever inspires you to want to build muscle.

My results
    Shock_Wave stats H. 6'1/2 w.230lbs bf%12
    9755412_7737_thumb.jpg
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    ^^^^

What this guy said

Something is wrong with your diet, not your choice of workout routine
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

Cheers

Sounds like you have your answer right there. You have used several programs but THEY just don't seem to work.. I gather "they" means all of em? I think the problem is the " I give up on them"

Time:
    Lets goto the basics building muscle take time.... a lot of time. Natural bbers can usually gain average of 2lbs in a month and that sleeping,eating,training repeat.
    Natural bbers can usually gain average of 2lbs in a month and that sleeping,eating,training repeat.
    So lets put that in perspective 2x12(months in a year) is 24lbs of muscle and if your lucky 24 lbs of fat equalling a 1:1 ratio
    So if you want to build muscle you better start thinking realistically where you stand here and how long it will take you.

Diet
    It may take eating low as 300 cals up 1000 calories per day extra over your maintenance calorie level to start gaining depending on your body type as well as eating at least your weight in grams of protein. For me I eat 1.3grams of protein per whole body weight. This has to be consistant and it can be expensive so you have to think of how dedicated you would be and can you afford all the food.
    Natural bbers can usually gain average of 2lbs in a month and that sleeping,eating,training repeat.

Tranining
    As you said you have used several plans so you have got a good idea of what you like and don't like so you can customize your own plan or simply follow the many out there. I tend to customize mine every so often hitting every muscle group I can on certain days. One thing remains the same out of all the plans though, after I warm up I lift 75+% of my max reps. Or I am simply burning out at 6-8reps doing 5-6 sets.

Motivation
    You always have to find some thing to keep you motivated so you don't give up. Find things to remind you and make you say "oh yeah this why I am doing this again" Example: Before and after pics, movies, chicks, or what ever inspires you to want to build muscle.

tl;dr

It takes years to build muscle.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    Soreness/Pain
    I just got done working out and it reminded me about one last thing I forgot to add. Living in constant soreness most every day. Some days can be down right crippling painful depending how hard you hit your workouts. But if you want it bad enough you just accept it.:drinker:
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    tl;dr

lol then why quote it?
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

lol then why quote it?

'cause I read the first paragraph but there's no acronym for that.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Can't vouch for it personally but I've heard a few people talk about the Stronglifts 5x5 program being pretty great.