What Would Happen if Weight Training with a Calorie Deficit?

Options
albayin
albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
I am seriously curious. Say what would happen to a person if she's eating 1200 calories and doing weight training 2-3 times a week?

Thanks,

Replies

• albayin
    Options
    And I am just curious. So please don't jump all over me and bash me. :flowerforyou:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Good things will happen.

If you are new to weight training you will still be able to increase strength quite dramatically and you will retain your current muscle mass, giving you that toned look as opposed to skinny-fat.

Start tomorrow.

Depending on your yor current weight anD what you intend on doing, 1200 cals may not be right for you, work out your calorie requirements for yourself. If you gonna start lifting eat more protein than mfp tells you.
  • albayin
    Options
    Good things will happen.

If you are new to weight training you will still be able to increase strength quite dramatically and you will retain your current muscle mass, giving you that toned look as opposed to skinny-fat.

Start tomorrow.

Even she's not eating "enough" per MFP's gold standard?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You will maintain what lean muscle mass you have while continuing to burn off fat... Depending on how you lift, you should also see gains in strength..... Strength Training is an all around Must!!! Best of Luck...
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Even she's not eating "enough" per MFP's gold standard?

Sure. Unless someone is already at some unhealthy amount of calorie intake it's not going to do anything but improve their condition. Of course the better you eat the more this works for you but we're talking about variations of good, better, best. Nothing bad at all.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You can still get stronger in a calorie deficit, increase protein intake also.

Protein intake is much more important in a calorie deficit than it is in a calorie excess.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    To be honest there is likely a complicated interaction between changes in metabolism, dependence on how much weight is being lifted, what is being consumed, etc. The science (like most science) is not easy to sort out. Still, here is one guy's view which is interesting reading: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html. The link is for part 2 of the series, but I recommend reading all parts.
  • dosmundos
    dosmundos Posts: 64
    Options
    I am doing Jamie Easons livefit program. Lots of weights and some cardio.
    I don't eat my exercise calories and have gained muscles and lost fat. A little over 10 pounds so far.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You will lose fat! Inches would slide off. I do it, but I eat a little more than 1200 most days...I'm comfortable at 1300-1500.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You will get smaller where you want and stronger too. Win-win. I have only done my weight training on a calories deficit because I'm new to it and my results have been great!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Only good things would happen.
    Possibly a flatter stomach and more shaped behind, killer legs, sexy arms.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    You can still get stronger in a calorie deficit, increase protein intake also.

Protein intake is much more important in a calorie deficit than it is in a calorie excess.

I have gotten way stronger. I try to keep my protein as high as I can. around 100 g a day.
  • albayin
    Options
    Only good things would happen.
    Possibly a flatter stomach and more shaped behind, killer legs, sexy arms.
    Ah, ah, ah ...all I want..:love::love:

However, last time I did this, my thighs got bigger than they already were, so I dropped for a few weeks...I can't afford getting any bigger than I already am. :angry:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Water weight?

You can't get big bulky muscles on a calorie deficit.
  • albayin
    Options
    Water weight?

You can't get big bulky muscles on a calorie deficit.
    I don't really know what happened. I wasn't saying I was gaining muscle, but I did get bigger. My pants wouldn't fit anymore. I was eating more than 1200 calories at that around, say 1600-1800...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You can't add muscle *mass* while on a deficit, but from what I've read (no, I don't have sources bookmarked), you can get more responsive muscles that appear larger. So while you're overall muscle weight/mass hasn't increased, your muscles aren't weak or flaccid. That, plus some water weight as your muscles adjust to a routine, could cause you to be a little larger temporarily.
  • albayin
    Options
    You can't add muscle *mass* while on a deficit, but from what I've read (no, I don't have sources bookmarked), you can get more responsive muscles that appear larger. So while you're overall muscle weight/mass hasn't increased, your muscles aren't weak or flaccid. That, plus some water weight as your muscles adjust to a routine, could cause you to be a little larger temporarily.

Thank you. It was about 3 months of consistent gaining of weight and inches on my thighs. I was so disappointed and hopeless.
  • melry77
    melry77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just read an article (maybe Scooby workshop) that in some study the most successful women to lose inches and tone up were rewarding 800 calories and lifting. Not for me thank you but obviously somebody thinks it's a good idea.
  • albayin
    Options
    To be honest there is likely a complicated interaction between changes in metabolism, dependence on how much weight is being lifted, what is being consumed, etc. The science (like most science) is not easy to sort out. Still, here is one guy's view which is interesting reading: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html. The link is for part 2 of the series, but I recommend reading all parts.

I am reading this right now. Thank you.
  • albayin
    Options
    I just read an article (maybe Scooby workshop) that in some study the most successful women to lose inches and tone up were rewarding 800 calories and lifting. Not for me thank you but obviously somebody thinks it's a good idea.

I don't know whether it's a good idea or not. So I am asking the question here. :wink: