Stretch marks

Options
Has anybody had any problems with stretch marks while losing weight??? My skin is already stretch mark sensitive and I am afraid if i lose too much i'll just get more strectch marks. I don't know if the weight loss will be worth it??? Please help i already have self esteem issues with these scars!!!

Replies

• PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have them.... from gaining and losing, oh and babies....
    I call them battle scars.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Eat vitamin e rich foods, take your fish oil, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize and as with all things.

Give it time. Say out loud to yourself, "I care more about stretch marks than losing weight and being healthy" a few times and see if you genuinely mean it.

Sounds kind of stupid to be honest.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks usually happen from gaining weigjt
    the one's you already have may be more noticable
    but can be improved with toning
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I've actually seen someone that had stretch marks, and then got them to go away. I've always heard this was impossible, but after seeing actual pictures of it, from someone I know, I believe it.. I dunno how though. I say research it.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My twins already did me in on this. It can't get any worse. That's all I'm going to say.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I thought that the stretch marks were created from gaining weight (or growing quickly, like in pregnancy) rather than losing weight. I would think you wouldn't get any new stretch marks unless you are strength training and building muscle that is in different places than the fat that you are losing.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    stretch marks don't come from losing weight, so don't worry about that

just lose slowly, hydrate inside and out, and focus on the positive side of being thin, fit, and healthy

lots of great products (some do really help with stretch marks and/or lose skin)

toning is helpful and often tanning hides them a bit
  • AegyooSasoou
    AegyooSasoou Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @Nas24 lol....thanks that was funny thanks for that......but i am still pretty young and afraid to get a boyfriend because of them. I don't even show my legs
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have stretch marks and think I will end up with some really ugly excess skin. Of course I wish it were different, however, it's all part of who I am and the journey I'm on. We'll see!
  • AegyooSasoou
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful tips. But i am black can anyone suggest any tanning lotions that get your real dark???
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    Oh, honey!!!!!!!!! I'm 110lbs down from my biggest and I look like a road map. I've read and read and have only seen a few treatments that improve them at all. I think it was an expensive laser treatment.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    You wont get stretch marks from just losing weight. You get them from gaining large amounts of weight and having weak collagen in your skin. Your skin stretches beyond what it can handle to create the mark, then when you lose the weight they either get lighter or darker depending on your skin type. I get stretch marks easily. When I lose weight it's like they were never there unless you look close enough. Just moisturize your skin frequently preferably with lotion specifically for stretch marks. It doesn't have to be the expensive kind. I use Jergens. Or Cocoa Butter.
  • LilMsRobbinHood
    LilMsRobbinHood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused - the minor stretch marks I had on my belly got more pronounced once I started to LOSE weight and now that I've lost 15 pounds, they are even more pronounced. Why is this?
  • _Punjab
    _Punjab Posts: 67
    Options

^^^^this.

I'm not too worried about my stretch marks. Personally, I see them as battle scars, and they make me feel kind of empowered. I see them, and it reminds me of all the great work that I'm doing and what I'm doing it for. One day, if I'm ever thin and confident enough to go out wearing a bikini for all the world to see, I'm just going to be like, "Yeah, I may have been big enough once that I now have stretch marks. So what? I ain't anymore, b***********ches!!!!!" =]
  • AegyooSasoou
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss.....I hope they come up with a treatment soon to help us out
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    @Nas24 lol....thanks that was funny thanks for that......but i am still pretty young and afraid to get a boyfriend because of them. I don't even show my legs
    Believe me.... The boys don't care. Most of them don't even know what they are :) The good men will understand, I'm sure they aren't perfect either. I used to have the same fears. I had stretch marks since I was in my teens. Now I have even worse scars from a car accident, I just say screw it. The key is to show that you are confident and proud of who you are. :)
  • AegyooSasoou
    Options
    @Josette89 Thank you for that. That made me feel a lot better. Its just that there are so much perfect girls walking around lol ya kno
  • _Punjab
    _Punjab Posts: 67
    Options
    P.S. Yes you can get stretch marks from losing weight. When you're putting on a lot of weight quickly, you can get stretch marks because pressure is being put on your skin to cover the larger area and the skin breaks. When you lose weight too quickly, you can ALSO get stretch marks because the skin is under pressure to shrink to a smaller shape. I once heard someone call them shrink marks instead of stretch marks?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/31082-avoid-stretch-marks-losing-weight/

^^^^ a little advice on how to prevent them
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    Check into "Red Light Therapy". My gym has it for free along with free tanning. I can't say whether or not it works because I haven't personally done it (do plan to).