I hope I read the scale right...

southernletteXO
southernletteXO Posts: 20
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I weighed myself a couple days ago and it read 188. This morning I got up, went pee, and brushed my teeth. I got on the scale and it read 184 ! I mean I worked out last night for 45 minutes on the treadmill and when I was entering the info into the machine, I still assumed I was 188. I hope its right :laugh: Could I have really lost 4 pounds in 2 days?

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    So I weighed myself a couple days ago and it read 188. This morning I got up, went pee, and brushed my teeth. I got on the scale and it read 184 ! I mean I worked out last night for 45 minutes on the treadmill and when I was entering the info into the machine, I still assumed I was 188. I hope its right :laugh: Could I have really lost 4 pounds in 2 days?
    congrats and keep up the good work ...... :wink: our bodies change throughout the day so if you weighed your self at the same time i would think that is possible
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I think it makes a difference lol. A bottle of water actually weighs a pound, so I always weigh myself completely empty
  • I noticed the same thing. It seems that weight fluctuates based on how much water you are drinking and how much food you have in your system. For us girls there is a at least a five lb fluctuation do to the menstrual cycle on top of that. I pick one day a week to weigh in always in the morning right after I wake up and before I start the day, I try to have the same clothes on as well to keep all the variables as stable as possible to get a proper read out. (Can you tell I’m a science nerd?)
    Hope that helps :glasses:
    Agnes
  • Good Job but don't get in the habit of weighing yourself every day or even every other day because It will drive you nuts. Take it from me I have finally gotten into the habit of only weighing every Tuesday.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    It was probably food or water weight. My weight fluctuates quite a bit sometimes between days, so I weigh-in every Wednesday and use that number no matter where it is compared to what I weighed yesterday. That way, you can see how much you are truly losing per week without getting all excited that you lost 4 in 2 days and then being disappointed when you "gain" those pounds back the day after that.

Anyway, keep up the good work!! Wahoo for losing 4 lbs, whether they be fat or water! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    If I weigh myself at 8 pm I weigh 138

In the morning I weight 135.5

Therefore I only weigh in the morning. I used to get so POd when I weighed at the gym, at home, at the doctors all in the same week and fluctuated 10 pounds!! :noway:

I realize now that my home scale, at the same time of day each week, is the only way to go. NO matter what, I have lost 33 pounds.

:flowerforyou:
  • Yeah, I hate to say it, but it's probably food and water weight... but, it's better to "loose" 4lb than only 2 :)

Personally, even once a week is too often for me to weigh in, I have to do it at the roughly the same point in my "lunar" cycle, in addition to the same time of day, dry hair, no clothes, etc. or I get confused by all the womanly fluctuations. :blushing:
  • Yes. It was probably water weight. In your first week of weightloss it is normal to see around an 8 lbs weightloss because of water weight.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Good Job but don't get in the habit of weighing yourself every day or even every other day because It will drive you nuts. Take it from me I have finally gotten into the habit of only weighing every Tuesday.

I agree - weighing yourself daily WILL drive you nuts!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Once a week weigh-in at most!
  • Definitely. I weigh myself once a week now because when i first started losing weight, i weighed in every day and it drove me absolutely BATTY when i saw i gained some. so i make my mom hide my scale for a week, and when sunday's roll around, i can weigh in :smile:
  • sounds like me :laugh: but now i don't weigh myself as much and now my fam is like how much u weigh now they say i'm concieted now but i'm not i just love the new me and plus i'm a leo so whats not to love good luck honey 275990.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    I don't think it's physically possible to lose that kind of weight in that short of time. I am in agreement with others who have stated that your loss is probably water weight. I think any number of things can affect the scale including: sodium intake (a lot of salt in your diet will cause you to retain water), your time of the month may also be a factor as well as whether you are constipated. Perhaps one or more of these variables were influencing your initial weight reading? I try very hard not to weigh myself more than once a week and when I do, try to make conditions uniform. For instance, I weigh myself on the same day each week right after I awake and before I eat or drink anything. (I also try to steer clear of salty foods the day prior so I don't get an inflated reading - which is so discouraging!)
This discussion has been closed.