Love YA books but no longer in teens!

Options
josephine0701
josephine0701 Posts: 37 Member
So yea, Im 22 and I love my YA books! Dystopian novels are my favorite, well Im no longer 17 which the target audience mostly are. Anyone else here like me? Should I stop reading them? Not sure if I will ever grow out of them lol

Replies

• tinksmommy2006
    Options
    ummmmmmmmmmmm So Yeah I am like you except I am 29. I love Harry potter...watch the movies and read the books repeatedly, Twilight books, the Hunger Game books...Matched...oh my list goes on and on...unless it is smut, that's all I read is YA. I Don't think it is necessarily a target for a teen to read them...but that's who it is appropriate for ya know? or maybe that is my way of not feeling old...lol
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    I guess we are alone in this :(:laugh:
  • GaglianiGirl
    Options
    Why would you stop reading them if you enjoy them? Tons of adults like animated movies which are most of the time technically for kids, not even teens. I'm 29, and I still enjoy a good YA book as well!
  • BahamaMama77
    BahamaMama77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am in my late 20s and I still read HP, YA, and chick lit... and I love it lol
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Love YA :) Always looking for a fun easy read. What series do you suggest?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i have no clue what the **** YA books are.
  • josephine0701
    josephine0701 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Im currently reading Hush Hush! Liking it so far :)
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Im currently reading Hush Hush! Liking it so far :)

Great books! Have you read Matched or Crossed By Ally Condie?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 30 and primarily read YA. You're never too old to read a good book :)
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am exactly like you. I love YA novel and am obsessed about dystopian fiction. Have to ever read The Giver by Lois Lowry?
    So yea, Im 22 and I love my YA books! Dystopian novels are my favorite, well Im no longer 17 which the target audience mostly are. Anyone else here like me? Should I stop reading them? Not sure if I will ever grow out of them lol
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

I was the same when I 1st read this thread but quickly cottoned on that it means YOUNG ADULT :)

I'm currently reading Ghostgirl at the moment which is YA . You are never too old. I'm all for easy reading too.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What the heck does YA mean? I'm an avid reader and have no clue!

Edit: Nevermind someone answered my question. :)
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I know of Adult reading books where it is mainly Young Adult books; so yes. I don't think it should matter the age range as long as you personally enjoy reading whatever it is.
  • ocylott
    ocylott Posts: 31
    Options
    A good book is a good book, regardless of the age it's marketed towards. I read what I like, and I don't care what category people place it in. So yes, this includes a healthy dose of YA.
  • jillamina13
    jillamina13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    YA books are the best... Maggie Stiefvater, Melissa Marr, John Green, David Levithan and Holly Black are some of my favorite authors! And I am 41 ( and it depresses me to type that!)
  • beach_floatie
    Options
    I'm 43 and read them. I got hooked when I taught high school English and read them so I could have conversations about them with my students. When I switched to middle school I missed them so I still pick one up now and then.
  • ikkin32dvs
    ikkin32dvs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I read YA books allll the time.... are you guys on goodreads.com?? If not, you should be!!! A few that I have really liked: The Curse Workers Trilogy by Holly Black, all books by Juliet Marillier, The Chaos Walking Series by Patrick Ness, The Hunger Games, plus wayyy more :)
  • jtsmith34
    jtsmith34 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 27 and I still enjoy YA books! I teach Jr. High English so I have an excuse to read them! I like giving my students recommendations so I try to read as many as possible. I love the Alice series, I started reading them when I was in Jr high and just finished the most recent book. I just started the 3rd book in the Shadow Children Series by Margaret Peterson Haddix. My G/T class read the first book and I really enjoyed it, so I'm going to read the whole series so I can try to get some of my students into it.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    YA - Young Adult

If you enjoy them read them, can't count the number of my friends that I introduced to reading by always being reading, camping.. the book was there for down time, hiking... sure we're going to take a break, biking... yup... doesn't matter if they want to read Mad magazine... WHO CARES.. .they ARE reading... CHOOSING to read... they'll perhaps expand what they're reading, simply due to them readying by choice. I'll buy them any time I see them at yard-sales as I can pass them on to someone and maybe just maybe help someone get interested in a quite enjoyable activity.

Books, movies, games... they're entertainment.. they may be targeted at "certain groups" but unlike TV where they'll ditch a show because the target group isn't watching it even though they have 3x the numbers expected just not the target demographic...
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

I was the same when I 1st read this thread but quickly cottoned on that it means YOUNG ADULT :)

I'm currently reading Ghostgirl at the moment which is YA . You are never too old. I'm all for easy reading too.

i see. since it was coupled with "HP," which i know is "Harry Potter" i thought "YA" were a character's initials too.