C25K on Elliptical???

Options
laursed
laursed Posts: 73 Member
I decided to do the C25K on the elliptical, I didn't think my knees could take the treadmill....Do you think its as good a work out as running??? I suppose any exercise is better than none:-)

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It will not prepare you to run a 5k, but it would be a good way to ease into cardio workouts if you're new to them.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I decided to do the C25K on the elliptical, I didn't think my knees could take the treadmill....Do you think its as good a work out as running??? I suppose any exercise is better than none:-)

It will burn the calories and yes, it is as good a workout as running.

Actually, to say "I suppose any exercise is better than none" is belittling it, it would be a very fine exercise session.

Go for it! :flowerforyou:
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It will not prepare you to run a 5k, but it would be a good way to ease into cardio workouts if you're new to them.

This.

Outdoor running is a lot different. However, you should get a good workout from the elliptical. :)
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    According to the trainer at my gym, the Elipical is just as good of a workout at the Treadmill.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it. I use the program for interval training while on the elliptical. I did it on my own a couples years ago with great results. The intervals keep me focused and entertained. I'm only in week one but it has already fun and energizing. I have no interest in actually running on the road for several reasons.

Good luck
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    Based on my experience (a couple years ago), I was doing close to 60 minutes on the elliptical, but then after a couple weeks I went out to try jogging and couldn't make it 1 mile. So I do not believe it is the same as actually running, but if you work up a good sweat, you will be burning calories. Perhaps if you adjust the resistance and whatnot, it would get closer.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I kind of did this. Except I quickly realized I was already regularly going 5K+ on the elliptical so there wasn't much to work up to. If you aren't doing anything, it's a good place to start. I also quickly realized it doesn't prep you for actual running at all (maybe cardiovascularly it does...). Since the elliptical 5K was no problem, I then started at the beginning of the running C25K, it was as if I'd never done anything. It was hard, it hurt, I hated it, I quit. Went back to elliptical and weights.

Edited to add: I have an artificial hip and myriad other health issues, so it wasn't worth it to me to continue the running. Didn't want to seem like a quitter, LOL, I work hard in everything else I do -- just don't run.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Whynot test it out on the treadmill first? You don't have to go fast, in fact, I was told "if you can run any slower, your probably running too fast."
    I'm 245 lbs.. I do my walk portions at 3.5 mph.. and my run portions at 4.5mph.. nothing great.. but I'm building up to it.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My use of C25K is just as an interval training device and not intended to get me ready for road work. I "run" by about doubling my "walking" speed on the elipitcal. Doing 3k on the eliptical at a "walking" speed isn't much different than walking 3k...

I really enjoy the quick results I get through interval training and the C25K is a good tool in keeping me paced in my workouts since I have a habit of pushing too hard too early when starting up training (again) and burning out which makes the whole process pointless.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i don't see why it wouldn't work, i did it on a stationary bike before :laugh:
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Whynot test it out on the treadmill first? You don't have to go fast, in fact, I was told "if you can run any slower, your probably running too fast."
    I'm 245 lbs.. I do my walk portions at 3.5 mph.. and my run portions at 4.5mph.. nothing great.. but I'm building up to it.

^^ Good job!

I say give it a go as well. It might not hurt to try it. I know I used the elliptical because I had knee pain in the beginning but when I hit 188ish lbs I decided to do C25K. I didn't have pain but I was sore....now I can run for about 45ish minutes at a time outdoors. I love the C25K program...it's wonderful!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it. I use the program for interval training while on the elliptical. I did it on my own a couples years ago with great results. The intervals keep me focused and entertained. I'm only in week one but it has already fun and energizing. I have no interest in actually running on the road for several reasons.

Good luck

Second this. Interval training is a GREAT cardio workout, especially when those intervals are hard and intense! If you ever decide to take it on the road and try running, just start out slow and try alternating walking and jogging lightly. Joints have to adapt to running and it may take a while, but if you do it, it does get better. Just a suggestion :) However, I am young and my knees don't hurt me that much, so, take what I say with a grain of salt, lol.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the quick results I get through interval training and the C25K is a good tool in keeping me paced in my workouts since I have a habit of pushing too hard too early when starting up training (again) and burning out which makes the whole process pointless.

Interval training is precisely what would make the elliptical good exercise (well, intervals and any cardio, really). Our bodies adapt pretty quickly to become more efficient, which is a BAD thing if you're trying to burn calories. Interval sprints/raising the incline/etc. help keep you from getting too adapted.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    When I started running I did a lot on the elliptical. I still use one in particularly nasty weather as an alternative to running.

My opinion is that this is as good at getting you fit as running is, but you need to go at a higher cadence and/or resistance than you might think. Use a HRM is there is one available, else make sure at the end of your intervals you are genuinely out of breath.

Good luck
  • jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    Can you run on a local trail or something? I know I can't run on a treadmill (I get shin splints) but running on a trail in completely different and gives you something to focus on instead of just running.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    C25K and running/jogging are completely different exercises. While I completely agree that any work out is better than nothing, and you will have fun doing it, I think it loses the purpose of why that program was created.

C25K is to help those who aren't runners build up from walking to jogging to running and run a 5K!

Let me tell you my own experience. The elliptical has a "sister machine" so to say, an ARC trainer. It's similar to an elliptical, but a little more intense with higher inclines. I generally burn about 10 calories per minute on the elliptical and 15 per minute on the ARC. I have the stamina and endurance to do 60 minutes on the ARC (thus resulting in an 850-900 calorie per hour burn) but when I started the C25K app, I could barely jog more than a minute or two. It took everything in me to hit a 14 minute mile. I got frustrated and kept stopping in the middle of my work outs and would jump on the ARC because it wasn't that hard. I realized the ARC, as awesome of a burn as it was, was my comfort zone. I got my butt on the treadmill and just kept going. I would push myself when I didn't want to do it anymore. In less than two weeks, I was able to consistently jog/run (NO walking!) a mile in 11:11. That was huge for me! This was an accomplishment.

That is why I say they are two completely different work outs!
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Interesting question.

I had an accident about 10 years ago in which one of my knees was badly damaged. I am, of course, very overweight - consquently I really have to be carefully about balancing the need to exercise against the potential for more knee trouble. I'm interested in the Couch to 5k, but am looking to get a little weight off first.

So - I'm using the iFit Weight Loss Programme (1) for Elliptics and things are going really well. I work forwards and backwards, I work my arms, I alter my foot placement (very carefully) and I'm delighted to say that my knees are doing just fine and for the first time in about 10 years I am really enjoying exercise again.

I consider this to be my "pre-C25k" challenge! Maybe you can think about being the first to see if the C25K can be done on an Elliptic?
  • laursed
    laursed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback! I am on day 3 of C25K on the elliptical, I think having the intervels of a faster pace helps me work harder. When I first started the elliptical (about 2 weeks ago)after 7 mins I couldn't feel my legs and almost fell over when I stepped off:-) Now I can go 25 mins(the 10 mins mark is when I want to give up...but I don't) Maybe after I build up some good cardio I will attempt it on the treadmill......
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    I have been considering doin the c25k on the elliptical so these posts are great. Would you recommend for a non active person lookin to get active