Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Slim-fast diet question

I saw that Walmart is doing a 30 supply online for $75 for slim fast. I will be working out 2+ hours a day, and plan on adding fresh veggies to my diet along with the slim fast shakes, snacks, and bars. Also, I will be taking a one a day for women's pill. My question is whether adding exercise, lots of water, veggies, and a multi victim pill to slip fast will equal a steady healthy weight loss?

Replies

• I think it would be better to spend that money on fresh fruits and veggies! Also I saw yesterday that if you drink 2 glasses of water before a meal, it is proven you will eat less. Also people often mistake thirst for hunger, so next time you think you want a snack, try water or a power aid zero. The more liquids you take in the less water your body will retain which equals weight loss :)<3 love you and hope you have a good day!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    I would personally just eat nutritious meals and skip the shakes. They may have a little protein, but they have lots of sugar too! Get a good whey protein to drink every day for added protein if you want, and then just eat healthy. You can have a good, healthy, low calorie diet without shakes.

Also, don't expect your body to cooperate if you don't fuel it.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    did the slim fast shake diet years ago...lost weight (and muscle mass) and promptly put it back on when I started eating "normally." Plus, it tastes yuck (especially the pre-made shakes in the metal cans). Honestly, I think you'd be better off skipping the slim fast and spend that money on some good fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains. If you really feel the need for a shake, buy a good protein powder and have a protein shake w/skim milk as a healthy snack after your workouts. Good luck!
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    MORE FRUITS AND VEGGIES..DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON SLIM FAST..IF YOU WANT TO SPEND $75, INVEST IN SOME PROETEIN SHAKES! PROTEIN IS MOST NEEDED IN THE BODY AND KEEPS YOU FULL FOR LONGER! :drinker:
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    I agree with Mandy! I've used Slim Fast shakes/snacks and I always felt swollen/bloated. I'm very sodium sensitive and I don't know it was that or just in my head. Veggies made me feel much better!
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    I'd stay well away from the Slim-Fast if I was you. You're not going to lose weight in a healthy way like that, and what happens when you've lost the weight and start to eat normally again? It'll all go back on.
    Diet shakes and snacks are packed full of scary things to make you feel full, but none of which does you any good.

If you want a shake, you can make your own from fresh fruit and milk. Adding a protein powder will help you feel full. Good luck!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    waste of money. just get some protein powder and make a protein shake instead (for way cheaper than the SF junk) ..... eat lots of fresh fruits/veggies, drink plenty of water - and get PLENTY of protein.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Slim fast is not healthy. Period.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Rather than spending the $$ on the pre-made shakes, spend it on the veggies & some protein powder. Make your own shakes - add fruit & yogurt. Relying on a "pre-made" shake/bar/snacks may help in the beginning, but if you are looking to make long term permanent changes to your lifestyle, these won't help.

At walmart, they have (2) protein powders that are less than $20 for 2 pounds (and they are found in most of the stores). This should be more than enough for one shake a day for 30+ days (unless you do more than one a day). Plus, then you can alter them to add fruit, flavors and more.

Plus, if you are planning on working out like you are, the protein will help repair your muscles faster than the slimfast shakes.

But ultimately the choice is yours, have fun and good luck. :)
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    The reason slim fast works is like any other diet plan. It controls your meal calories causing you to eat less than you normally would. If you count calories with MFP and stick to the daily calorie allotment you will lose weight with or without slim fast. Just make sure you get at least 1200 calories a day. The shakes are about 220 calories a can so if you do two a day... one for morning 220 and lunch 220 then a sensible dinner you can see why you're losing weight.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    TBH, I'd raher see you eat good whole, clean foods. Lean meats and fresh produce! If you're looking for something quick, I would take one of your days off and brew a large batch of soup or stew and put it in the freezer in portions. You can always grab a container and go, heat it up at work or whatever.

I could never get on board with the Slim Fast/Jenny Craig/Weight Watchers thing just because it always seemed too easy. I'm sure it has worked for people, but I prefer a more natural method...

Run hard, eat clean, talk dirty.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    waste of money. just get some protein powder and make a protein shake instead (for way cheaper than the SF junk) ..... eat lots of fresh fruits/veggies, drink plenty of water - and get PLENTY of protein.

↑↑↑
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Slim Fast is loaded with sugar...I say stay away from it. Invest that money in whole foods.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    You're looking at a lot of sodium and sugar.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    did the slim fast shake diet years ago...lost weight (and muscle mass) and promptly put it back on when I started eating "normally." Plus, it tastes yuck (especially the pre-made shakes in the metal cans). Honestly, I think you'd be better off skipping the slim fast and spend that money on some good fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains. If you really feel the need for a shake, buy a good protein powder and have a protein shake w/skim milk as a healthy snack after your workouts. Good luck!

I did Slim Fast a few years back too - Lost some, started eating again Gained shedloads. The whole point of this journey is to learn about the food and portion sizes that enable us to live healthily. If you are not learning from the process, you will be yoyo'ing with your weight forever
    Sorry
  • IkkleGina
    IkkleGina Posts: 17
    I have also done the slim fast meal plan. I actually gained weight on it for the first 2 weeks then i lost what i had gained but it made me really ill i had constant headaches and dizzy spells so i stopped it. My health was fine over night but i quickly gained the weight back plus more.

Personally i would stick to a healthier diet plan and lose weight slowly. These quick fix diets really arent good for your health.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    I saw that Walmart is doing a 30 supply online for $75 for slim fast. I will be working out 2+ hours a day, and plan on adding fresh veggies to my diet along with the slim fast shakes, snacks, and bars. Also, I will be taking a one a day for women's pill. My question is whether adding exercise, lots of water, veggies, and a multi victim pill to slip fast will equal a steady healthy weight loss?

I don't agree with doing slim fast but I'm sure I do things that others wouldn't agree with so not going to say do one or another if slim fast is what you want to do. If you're going to do slim fast I think it is good idea to add veggies and fruit along with it since I would think it would help digestive track by giving you fiber instead of just having the shakes. I'm no expert or anything of course but sounds like a good idea to have some veggies and fruit along with the shake.
  • sgoessling
    sgoessling Posts: 119
    Wow, so much good advice! Yes im convinced now, no slim fast for me! I will definitely make a huge batch of soup for myself to eat for lunches, and make my own fruit protein shakes for after work outs.. maybe just do a quick salad with some chicken or fish for dinners? Thank you all for your advice! As a college kid with a job, it has been very hard to combine cheap with healthy. Add that with trying to come up with a meal plan that is good for weight loss for me, along with a bulk up meal plan for my boyfriend, life in the kitchen has been difficult!
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    I dont think its good as a true diet solution. I do have the powdered shakes that you add to milk, and will drink one occasionally if I crave it (strange thought) or if I want a small breakfast. I also have the carnation instant breakfast for the same reason. But I drink one shake a month, if that. I like fresh fruits and veggies much better and they are often easier to grab and go than a shake.