sugar addiction?

Options
2»

Replies

• shannonmaria
    shannonmaria Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I crave sweets everyday and it's always after I eat dinner. It's like I've trained my body to automatically want chocolate at that time. This week I'm trying to keep myself busy so I don't think about it. Actually being on here and responding to posts keeps me so preoccupied I havent really eaten any sweets at all :) Thank you MFP!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Thank-you so much for this video. Jack had more sense than most of these Dr.s today have. He is so right. Thank-you again.
    Jack was telling it like it is before anybody had a clue.
    They all thought he was some kind of crack pot.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Is is possible to be addicted to sugar? I find myself having uncontrollable urges to eat candy every day. I don't crave anything else.

Has anyone else dealt with this? and how long did it take to stop craving sugar when you stopped eating it?

You get all new tastebuds every 21 days - so if you can minimize processed sugar for a few weeks, you won't crave it, and when you do eat it, you will want less of it.
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    Coffee poison
    fruit poison
    veggie posion
    meat posion
    milk poison
    sugar posion
    smoking toxic
    water toxic

I think everything is toxic why not just enjoy all the toxicities in moderation. I like Boston Cream at least two times a week and pizza once a week and some dairy queen once a week. ;)

I think we over think some things way too much. Our bodies turn everything we eat into sugar anyways.

Yes addiction is a concern if you can not control the sugar cravings but going low carb will only increase these cravings.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I find the more frequently I have sugar, the more it becomes a habit. I am not a binge eater, so my problem was frequency more than anything else.

My strategies to reduce sugar consumption happened over a few years:
    1. I stopped buying full size sweets. If I wanted one, I needed to get a single serving one from somewhere.
    2. I reduced the amount of sugar I put in my coffee.
    3. I started eating plain yogurt. Initially with 1-2 teaspoons of sugar, now plain with fruit/granola/nuts
    4. I switched to stevia for things I like to sweeten (mostly tea) at home
    5. I stopped using sugar, mostly, at home. (I use it occasionally in baking and for some homemade salad dressings, but not very much)

Now, my taste for sweet has changed. I still like them. I target eating them about 2x-3x a week. Some weeks are better than others, when TOM comes to town, my cravings are in full force. But the amount of sweet I can handle is pretty low. If I want a "sugary" coffee drink, I ask them to cut the syrup in half. I drink most espresso drinks without sugar.

There are a few sweets I buy. But they tend to last a while, I am not tempted to polish of the bag within days. More like weeks or months.

Depending on how your cravings are, I recommend abstaining completely or gradually reducing. If you are the tye to overindulge constantly, then cutting it completely is best.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I think everything is toxic why not just enjoy all the toxicities in moderation.

because if everyone could enjoy everything they wanted in moderation some of us wouldnt have become overweight or obese in the first place. heck if people could enjoy things in, we wouldnt have things like alcohol or drug addiction, right?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I think everything is toxic why not just enjoy all the toxicities in moderation.

because if everyone could enjoy everything they wanted in moderation some of us wouldnt have become overweight or obese in the first place. heck if people could enjoy things in, we wouldnt have things like alcohol or drug addiction, right?

You're right. Some people's brains are just wired differently and what is "moderation" for one person, may turn out to be a landslide for another. You wouldn't tell a recovering alcoholic that one drink a day will be just fine, would you?

Sugar sets off a mechanism in me that makes me crave carbs and more sugar. It upsets the way I feel physically and mentally. My wiring does not need it. Someone else may not have the same reaction.

I understand that this is a place for sharing but let's try and not be so dismissive of the fact that one person's meat can be another person's poison.