Whey Protein.....HELP!

Options
tiffeh345
tiffeh345 Posts: 43 Member
I am thinking of trying whey protein. The only problem is, there are so many different kinds and places to get it. I want one that is decently priced yet still good for me. Any suggestions? I am totally lost on this. :(

Replies

• AmyBetty
    AmyBetty Posts: 18
    Options
    Personally I prefer a non-flavoured protein so I can add my own flavours to shakes, or I can add it to my meals (although the texture is horrible). I use Natures Way which is available in the vitamin section of the supermarket (I'm not sure what country you are writing from so I'm not sure if you would have the same brands available). That one has 87g protein per 100g, so it's pretty high. The Weight loss / bulk products often have added sugars and flavours.
  • ksun10
    ksun10 Posts: 76
    Options
    My dad is losing weight too and did a lot of research into the best ones. Surprisingly, the one at walmart is one of the best out there (according to all of his research). I use that one (body fortress vanilla whey protein) every morning!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you just want the protein and not the extra additives, there are custom protein sites like Truenutrition.com which allow you to custom make your own protein powders at a very reasonable price.

I don't use whey anymore and switched to milk protein isolate as my primary protein powder. But the only commercial powder I do use in addition before bedtime is a blend with whey isolate, milk protein isolate and egg whites.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you have a GNC near you try out Pro Performance or Optimum Nutrition. Both are very tasty and come in many flavors. They are also low in carbs (sugars) and have at least 20 grams of protein per serving. Sometimes GNC has samples and they often have sales especially on the PPO which is their brand.
  • tiffeh345
    tiffeh345 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I am going to hit up a GNC and see what I can come up with. :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I am going to hit up a GNC and see what I can come up with. :)

GNC is about 1.5-2x as much as Vitamin Shoppe or Amazon.
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    get a high quality whey protein isolate product and be done with it...if you don't want to buy online, then go to vitamin world or shoppe..use a coupon
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I use the usn dessert protein which is a blend of whey and casein and has relatively few ingredients. It is higher in calories but I find it pretty filling, whereas the whey only proteins seem to not fill me up as much and cause me cravings.
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Body fortress chocolate....at Wallmart
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Myprotein.com does the best I've tried. Tastes great, good price and next day delivery for me. Impact Whey is the one to look at on their site.
  • icom100
    icom100 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I dont know what part of the world you are in. In Texas here in the USA, we have a "warehouse" store called Sams Club. I buy the whey protein there. It is reasonably priced and even tastes good. They tend to change brands at the drop of a hat though, so you might not wind up with the same powder I have. But so far, Ive been pleased with the ingredients and with the flavor. I would suggest doing some price comparisons online. That would be a good place to start. There are even fitness magazine web sites that will have reviews of many of the different whey protein powders. I did that some time ago and it did influence my decision. A word of caution. If you dont do the exercise to go with the higher protein diet, you can gain weight in fat and not muscle, so be sure to educate yourself about this before you start. I like to take vanilla flavored whey protein powder, two scoops, two sugar free Jello chocolate pudding cups, two to three tablespoons of natural peanut butter, a cup of ice, and a cup of water, and mix it well in a blender. If you like, you can add some syllium for fiber, about half to one teaspoon. It tastes great and makes two large smoothies. Also, you can nix the peanut butter, use vanilla sugar free Jello pudding, and you will have a smoothie that tastes just like a vinalla milk shake. You wont be able to tell the difference. I love them! Hope this has been some help.
    Brian
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress the chocolate flavor from walmart. I mix one and a half scoops in a blender with about 4 ice cubes and 12 oz of water. It's not that bad.
  • aimzfitness
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com and MRM Metabolic Whey, its content is excellent and works well with a balanced diet. I have it with my oats and berries in the morning and then again after a workout. There is also a special on at the moment if you buy a tub you get free CLA with it and that can help with fat loss also aswell as being safe to use :)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I just found one by Nature's Factors. I think it is good but I did buy the vanilla. I try to get something as natural as possible. It is hard I know.

denise
    I am thinking of trying whey protein. The only problem is, there are so many different kinds and places to get it. I want one that is decently priced yet still good for me. Any suggestions? I am totally lost on this. :(
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I recently started using Isagenix.
  • lbibbens
    lbibbens Posts: 13
    Options
    Here's my suggestion...Go to Vitamin Shoppe and purchase the Dymatize Elite Whey Protein...It's only 114 calories and surprisingly it's cheapest Whey Protein they have.

Now I personally don't use Whey Protein even though I make a shake on a daily basis...As I looked at my protein, due to the amount of Chicken, Fish, Turkey, etc etc. that I eat, I was overloading on Protein so I cut out the protein in my shakes. My diary is open if you go back a couple of days you can see my shake and the ingredients I use.

Hope that helps...Anyone feel free to add me as I took a little break but I'm back full force!! (I was able to maintain my weight through the couple of choppy weeks but I feel much more in control when I log in everything!!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I like the Premier Nutrition chocolate ready-to-drink. Each one is 160 Calories and 30g Protein, and you don't have to mix anything up so it's very portable. About $25 for a case of 18 at Costco.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Myprotein.com does the best I've tried. Tastes great, good price and next day delivery for me. Impact Whey is the one to look at on their site.
    This. Flavoured ones tend to be on the sweet side though.
  • aimzfitness
    Options
    Dymatize elite whey is very good :) yum choc flavor and mixes well
  • shereemaria
    shereemaria Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Optimum Nutrition brand.