SLOW weight loss... help!!

Options
Hi! I'm pretty new here; just recently started logging my food and exercise on this site. I have been using other sites for several years to track my calorie intake, but I wanted something with a great app interface to use on my phone :)

I'm struggling with extremely slow weight loss (less than .5 lb/week), and I'm looking for tips to help speed it up. Even losing a full pound/week would be better than working so hard and feeling like I don't see results!

My calorie intake set by MFP is 1200. I usually eat 1200-1300/day. I weigh or measure absolutely everything I can, and even include the calories from my vitamins, from that one pretzel I ate while cooking dinner, etc. I'm very hard on myself when it comes to honesty about my eating.

I exercise anywhere from 1-4+ hours daily. No complete rest days for me. I do at least 30 minutes of cardio every day--usually running (which is something I've just recently started, so I'm not very good at it yet!) or x-biking. I walk at least three miles six days per week in addition to the regular cardio, because I think I need to get my heart rate up for longer than I'm able to sustain during running, etc. (although I'm working hard to improve my endurance), I also take several pilates and power yoga classes per week. I don't eat back my exercise calories. I know MFP over-exaggerates calorie burn from exercise.

Still, despite diligence in exercise and eating, weight loss is almost non-existent. The only thing I haven't mentioned yet is that the weight I'm trying to lose is 35 pounds that I gained over a six-month period on a medication for depression. I quit the medication cold-turkey in November 2011 when I realized that it was the culprit for my weight gain (and my hair/nails failing to grow, among other physical problems). Almost immediately, I began to be much more strict about my diet and exercise in an effort to return to my previous weight. As of July 2012, I've only lost 6 pounds. Prior to taking this medication, I had never had a weight problem. In fact, I had always stayed extremely thin because I exercised daily and was extremely dedicated to tracking my caloric intake.

I've read numerous posts on other websites from people who have had a great deal of trouble losing weight after taking this same medication. But I'm not willing to use the medication as an excuse. I'm going to keep doing my part by carefully tracking my eating and continuing to exercise every day. I'm just hoping somebody out there might have some tips to help me see all my hard work pay off! :)

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? You should be. That's a TON of exercise each day.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    slow weight loss is good weight loss! maybe try measurements instead of weighing yourself, or try eating more to get your metabolism to speed up
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    no, i don't eat back my exercise calories. i know some people need to, but i find that if i do, i either maintain my weight or gain more :/

i do take my measurements at least once every three weeks and have my body fat tested every 2-3 months. I've seen a 3.5% decrease in body fat so far, but my body fat is still 12% higher than it was before i gained weight. i've also seen a 2.5" reduction in both my waist and hips and a 3" reduction in my chest. my thighs and upper arms seem much slower to follow, with only about .5 reduction in each.

thanks for your replies! :)
  • heretoloseit95
    Options
    Someone who is exercising as much as you are should atleast aim for 1500 calories. Try that for a week and see how it goes. :)
    Good luck : )
  • krzywmn64
    krzywmn64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wow.... you are very powerful woman.... but in my opinion your not eating enough... try eating those exercise calories for 1week see if it helps.... and like the other opinions eat every 3hours.... just small meals... best of luck to you.....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How long did you try higher calories? I have a feeling that you should be around 1800 calories but if you can provide some basic stats (height, age and weight) then we can look at your caloric needs. Also, you have WAY too much cardio in your routine. You need to add some weight training. Also, your body needs rest. If you don't rest, then your body won't ever fully repair and can make it harder to lose weight.
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone!! when i've tried eating back my exercise calories before, i've done it for about a week at a time and seen my weight stall or increase by the end of that week.

i am 26 y/o, 5'3", 129 pounds. i'm not overweight, but i do have an extremely small frame, and this is considerably more weight than it's used to carrying. as i mentioned, i've always stayed extremely small--around 100-105 pounds--through exercise and careful eating. i don't want to be "scary thin". i just want my real body back.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    thank you everyone!! when i've tried eating back my exercise calories before, i've done it for about a week at a time and seen my weight stall or increase by the end of that week.

i am 26 y/o, 5'3", 129 pounds. i'm not overweight, but i do have an extremely small frame, and this is considerably more weight than it's used to carrying. as i mentioned, i've always stayed extremely small--around 100-105 pounds--through exercise and careful eating. i don't want to be "scary thin". i just want my real body back.

When you increase calories, you need to wait for a month. The weight increase is probably due to additional calories or the additional carbs causing your body to store additional gylcogen/water. You need to give it a month. Also, you should NOT aim for 100-105 as in order to do that, you will need to lose muscle. A better goal would be about 110-115 with around 18% body fat. At your rate, you want to lose fat not weight.

Based on your stats, you should be aiming to get 1700 calories. I would recommend 3-4 days of weight training and 1-2 days of HIIT. That shoudl help your body cut fat and get a tighter body. I would look to do 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fat. Also, weight is meaningless as demonstrated by the two links below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A week with increased calories (aka eating your exercise calories back) is not enough to see results. You'll stall/go up for the first week or so, and then start going down again. Give it a try for a bit longer.

PS: you're only looking to lose 35lbs, which isn't a HUGE amount... when you don't have a lot of weight to lose it's a lot harder to lose the 1-2lbs a week. .5lbs a week is nothing to sneeze at!
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

If you are working out as much as you say you are, and only eating 1200 - 1300 calories (not net calories, just straight what you ate through the day without taking into account calories burned) then either you need to see a doctor or you need to check your food scale. You could be in starvation mode (although it's VERY, VERY, VERY unlikely). If you eat back your workout calories and you gain weight and/or stall then you're not counting everything or your not counting properly. Simple as that.

By the way, at 5'3", 100-105 is pretty close to "scary thin"...just sayin.

At your height and weight here is the math:

9.99(58.5kg) + 6.25(160kg)+5(26yr)-161=1553.42 <---This is your BMR
    1553.42*1.6=2485.46 <---I used 1.6 because of your high activity level you said.

Take a 20% calorie deficit and you'll have:

2485.46(.8)=1988.37 <---This is your target calorie intake for weightloss given your activity level...