Do roller coasters burn calories?

Options
I know this is kind of silly and I'm not asking because I'm trying to count it in my log.:laugh:

Just curious if anyone has ever use an HRM on a roller coaster. I spent the day at Cedar Point yeasterday and those rides wiped me out! Of course there was ALOT of walking involved as well, but I really think it was the rides that did me in!
Don't know if you've ever been there, but there is a ride called the Mantis, it is a standing roller coaster. I really hurt my leg on that one. I must have shifted my weight just before the first drop and the force really hit me. Then I tried a new ride, The Wicked Twister, and felt like I had run a marathon on the moon when I got off:tongue: Here is a video of it if you are not familiar:
http://www.cedarpoint.com/_includes/flash/media_player_popup.cfm?videoID=13415&videoWidth=320

Anyway, I'm really curious if you burn calories on crazy rides like that? The heart is racing and the body is all out of whack, what are the physical effects of it besides an adreneline rush? While I did not indulge in the sweets or junkie foods, can they serve a purpose for replacing calories and energy quickly?

Replies

• ♥seoid♥
    Options
    hummm...i don't think so. you're just sitting down and not doing any working out. sorry. but glad you had fun!
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That depends, how hard did you have to work to pry your hands off of the safety bar?? :laugh:

Seriously, though....Nope. No joy.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Not sure about that one... but I was wondering the same thing about thinking really, really hard or having a day at work where your brain gets used every minute of the day. I find on days where I really am doing difficult (mentally) work, I come home exhausted and hungry. Maybe it's just a coincidence? :huh:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Kelynn you do burn more calories if you are thinking and doing work like writing and such than if you were just sitting and doing nothing, we did a calorie burn assignment and one of the options was school work sitting in a desk so same kind of thing! Obviously you don't count it but good to know...

The roller coaster thing I don't think your burning cals but hey if your heart rates up and your sweating from being scared than your burning more than sitting around!!

~Leash :heart:
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    That's similar to asking if watching horror movies burn calories because your heart rate increases. The only way a roller coaster ride or scary movie can assist with your dieting is if you pass away from fear. Corpses don't tend to eat much. Nice try, Wannabea Cullen!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I read an article once describing the different chemicals released when your adrenaline is pumped up with fear vs. exercise. It is an entirely different process one for fight or flight the other for endurance.

You prob burned 1000 extra calories in the day just from walking and standing in line though!!:wink:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I did log the walking and that burned over 1400 calories! I did not eat those calories either. I didn't even think of it actually. Of course I don't walk that much on a regular basis so I did count a little less that half of the time as exercize.

BTW: I wasn't asking because I thought it would help with dieting, I was just curious because of the physical impact on the body. I know you are just sitting there; but speed, the changes in the plane of your body, and the physical force have to attribute something to your body. I'd like to know the science behind it. I'm going to google it.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sorry no. An increased heart rate does not equal calorie burn. Otherwise we could all lose weight going to a horror movie film festival. Sounds like a really fun day and all the walking is great!
  • Tgrey75
    Tgrey75 Posts: 1
    Options
    You know what? I think that was a great question. My family has season passes to Worlds of Fun and this is the first time i've gone in years. I was wondering the same thing. My heart pumps a little extra harder than others because i have a little "condition". When i ride the rides, my heart races alot, then my legs are really shaky and i'm out of breath for a few minutes. I would think that if you can burn calories while sitting on the floor doing calm, slow, yoga, then why wouldn't you burn a few extra calories with your heart rate up? When you are doing cardio that's what you do, you raise your heart rate to burn the calories. I did however add in all the walking and like you, it was like over 1300 calories. Either way, it's a lot of fun and a good way to exercise.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    no but walking around the place does
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    oh jesus ****. you can't be serious..

Ok, just so this sinks in. Your heartrate has ZERO BEARING on calories burned, UNLESS you are ONLY doing steady state cardio in a somewhat climate controlled environment. (very hot temps makes your heart beat faster in an attempt to cool you down, so faster heartrate yet no extra calorie burn. Same thing for being scared. Heartrate goes up, but no calorie burn)
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love Cedar Point! great rides :D
    I've never thought of that but it's a good question. judging by what others have said it's not enough to really count for anything, but still more than you would have had you been sitting on the couch.

glad you had fun at the park! and good for you for not indulging in sweets there!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I love Cedar Point. And Kings Island. When I lived in Chicago, my cousin and I would take road trips to our aunt's place in Pittsburgh and then hit every amusement park and water park on the way back to Chicago. Good times.

Oh, and the answer to your question is NO
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    They burn so many calories you must be in starvation mode right now.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Roller coasters burn so many calories. You would have to wear an accelerometer and something that measured G-forces to determine the actual calorie burn. You would also need to know the weight of the coaster, the acceleration rate and descent angle of each hill as well as the time taken to descend from the hilltop.

tumblr_mlm450cPGN1s19mvpo1_500.gif
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Ah, best part about living in Ohio is being close to Cedar Point, can not WAIT unti my first trip of the year :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I do not think the OP cares as they posted this in 2009 and sometime in the intervening 4 years has deactivated.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do not think the OP cares as they posted this in 2009 and sometime in the intervening 4 years has deactivated.

It's probably because no one was supportive of roller coaster calorie burns. :flowerforyou:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0p5kd3OIl1r4l0edo1_500.gif
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Haha, yeah thats quite a thread revival, but im down - its an intriguing question. I feel like you'd have to burn calories on a rollercoaster. Your body is constantly fighting g-forces, plus, if nothing else, you're likely screaming and/or laughing during the ride anyhow. Both those burn calories.

Is it negligible? Yes . . . but still