Had a breakdown today...

Options
2»

Replies

• 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling so overwhelmed and burnout lately. All the calorie counting and the worrying, trying to fit in excercise and then just trying to get the motivation to go. My kids have been stressing me out which makes me want to just shut down and not do anything.

I started getting scared, and worried. I feel like I'm going to fail. I think that if I just quit then there is no chance to fail after trying so hard.
    I'm afraid of disappointing my husband. We started this journey together and he's been giving it 110%.

I just need some motivation and encouragement I guess.

I don't know how old your kids are but mine are the same way..some days I just feel like I'm gonna go crazy..you know what when I have those I make them go with me and I RUN THEIR BUTTS OFF...It's fun and they complain the entire time...I say well if you learn to listen and do as your asked you could be trusted to play on the playground..until then you run with me :) I'm a mean mom! Try it out sometime if they are old enough...It might make you feel better.

Angel
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started getting scared, and worried. I feel like I'm going to fail. I think that if I just quit then there is no chance to fail after trying so hard.
    I'm afraid of disappointing my husband. We started this journey together and he's been giving it 110%.

First off, I looked at your diary, and you've been below your goal every day, sometimes by as many as 650 or 700 calories. You're running far too much of a deficit! The goal should be closer to your *average* calories.

Each single day is not happening in a vacuum. You can be happy to be below goal for the day, but you need to make sure the average is close to your goal, and if you're below average sometimes, that means you *have* to be above goal sometimes, too. It's built into the system, and it's OK!

Give yourself a break. There are plenty of studies that show that people who take a "day off" every now and then are more likely to keep losing and keep it off. I'm in a couple of clubs with food at their monthly meetings, so I relax my rules for those days. Often as not, I find that I've *lost* more weight afterwards.

Do you have a smart phone or iPad? One of the things I love about the iPad version of MFP is that they give you a chart of your calorie counts for the whole week, including an average so you can see if you're above or below.

I always try to be honest in my logging, even when I splurge, and it's reassuring to see that I can be over by hundreds of calories on a single day, and still end up below goal for the week.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options

First off, I looked at your diary, and you've been below your goal every day, sometimes by as many as 650 or 700 calories. You're running far too much of a deficit! The goal should be closer to your *average* calories.

Each single day is not happening in a vacuum. You can be happy to be below goal for the day, but you need to make sure the average is close to your goal, and if you're below average sometimes, that means you *have* to be above goal sometimes, too. It's built into the system, and it's OK!

Give yourself a break. There are plenty of studies that show that people who take a "day off" every now and then are more likely to keep losing and keep it off. I'm in a couple of clubs with food at their monthly meetings, so I relax my rules for those days. Often as not, I find that I've *lost* more weight afterwards.

Do you have a smart phone or iPad? One of the things I love about the iPad version of MFP is that they give you a chart of your calorie counts for the whole week, including an average so you can see if you're above or below.

I always try to be honest in my logging, even when I splurge, and it's reassuring to see that I can be over by hundreds of calories on a single day, and still end up below goal for the week.

I know I've been under and I really shouldn't. My husband set the amount of calories for me through calculations he did using the ISSA calculations. It just seems like way too many calories. Other people around here are doing like 1800 or 1500 and I'm up in the 2k's.
    I know I should trust him though, he is a math genius.
  • GoalByFifty
    GoalByFifty Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    focus on the haves, and the have nots will disappear. it sounds like you're going through a lot and I'd be glad to be your friend...... "Worry looks around, sorry looks back, and faith looks up." Keep the faith!
  • GoalByFifty
    GoalByFifty Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    On this journey you don't have to be perfect. You just have to be better than you were. Ease up on yourself, make the good choices that you know you should make and you will succeed!!

well said!!
  • ForTheWin88
    Options
    have a little faith in yourself. most people are capable of a lot more then they think.

but, if you're starting to loose steam and feeling burnt out, i'd suggest giving yourself a few days off and letting your mind and body recover. the good news is that your husband is on board with you so "taking it easy" won't become a habit. you don't want to keep pushing where you'll just throw your hand up and say "f*** it".
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Everyday is a new day! Just remember all of the good things exercise will help you with. It lowers stress and makes you feel good! At least it does for me!

I enjoy eating healthy so much now because I realized how bad those other foods were making me feel. So take it as I feel better when I eat good and not over eating as well, so why would you revert back to that!?!? That's what keeps me going.

Also, the compliments I get too, because I never used to get compliment before I gained weight and obviously after!!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Been there for sure....You won't ever 'quit' because you know how important this is for you and for your family (the kids will learn by example from you and your husband). I didn't get to look at your diary, but if you're running too low you will certainly sabotage all your hard work. Be sure you're eating enough (including eating back exercise calories) to hit a total of 1200 minimum or you will likely have a harder time with this. Being higher on your calorie intake is fine if you are burning a lot through exercise, and especially if your doing any weight training. Maybe you can log accurately for two weeks, eat in the range your husband suggested, and see what your weight does. This will give you somewhat of an idea if you need to bump that number up or down based upon how your body works rather than the 'average' body.

Best of luck!

*Edited to add a saying I saw on here recently that really hit home for me - motivation is what gets you started, it's habit that keeps you going"