Sabotage

Options
How do you handle it when you're just getting started and friends or relatives want to get together for lunch/dinner/drinks?

This time of year, counting calories can seem like a joke to some people apparently. I get a lot of, "Are you sure you're counting calories today??? This beer sure tastes good." And, "Well, if you're dieting you go ahead, but you're missing out on ice cream."

Argh.

Replies

• michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    eh-everyone who knows me knows that I'm working on a better me. They also know that if I want a beer, I'll drink a beer. BUT it took a while for them to wrap their heads around it! Good luck!
  • Fitness_4_Jess
    Fitness_4_Jess Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love my friends to pieces, but they do like to eat out a lot. So, what I do when I know I will eat out with them is look up the menu online and decide what I am eating before we get there. I also don't drink alcohol (maybe five times a year max), but try limiting yourself to one drink. The amount of calories in alcohol will surprise you!

Also, just let their comments roll off of you. When you really start getting the weight off and looking better you will be happy of what you have accomplished-even if it means eating a salad at a Steakhouse. :)
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    There is always a lot of temptation at my work. Someone is always bringing cookies, candy, etc. Most of the people I work with understand that I am trying to be healthier.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Order the healthy choice portions and enjoy your time with them. Ask for a bite of something. If they want you to split a dessert with them, just have a bite (they'll eat the rest). Just try not to stick out. There are some very good suggestions here. . . it does help to look ahead of time. Many places to have healthy choice selections. . . a small steak usually comes with veggies and a salad. Salad dressing in restaurants can be a problem, sometimes you're better off not getting any salad at all in a restaurant if they don't have a low calorie dressing.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    really nothing helpful here... just when I see the word sabotage I think of the beastie boys.

Honestly though, the only person who can sabotage you is you... you make the choices of what you do or do not eat and how much.
  • family_girl2626
    Options
    That has been totally frustrating for me as well. I haven't been a big drinker so I don't miss out on that but it was nice to go out for appetizers with friends on the patio. If I am going out, I count the calories and make sure I have them to spare even if it means I have to exercise to get there. There is no reason you shouldn't go out and have fun, if you do you are more likely to stick with this plan. If you do not the diet may start to feel like a "Sentence" and you may decide to stop. If i want a drink, i have it, if i want ice-cream, i have it. I don't have it as often as I might like and sometimes I go to the calorie friendly options instead of the dairy queen blizzard. It would be nice if your friends would support your decision and respect it, and as you get closer to your goal weight, and talk about your success, they will. Hang in there, have fun this summer. You will do great.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I do IF style eating which leaves me plenty of calories for the evenings should I want to go out. I don't think that eating a lot of restaurant food and booze is the right choice for my calories, but I have enough if I wanted to. And like others have said, there's always ways to make better choices and ask for food modifications if you want to at restaurants.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I love my friends to pieces, but they do like to eat out a lot. So, what I do when I know I will eat out with them is look up the menu online and decide what I am eating before we get there. I also don't drink alcohol (maybe five times a year max), but try limiting yourself to one drink. The amount of calories in alcohol will surprise you!

Also, just let their comments roll off of you. When you really start getting the weight off and looking better you will be happy of what you have accomplished-even if it means eating a salad at a Steakhouse. :)

Basically this. Looking at a menu's calorie count online beforehand (or on your phone if it's internet-capable) can help you choose which food to get without just settling for water and a salad. A good thing to do is, if you know beforehand where you're going, like at least a day in advance, plan your day's calories and maybe your workout around that one meal so you can have it and not go overboard or sabotage your day.

And to be fair, people are so used to others saying they're trying to lose weight or trim down and they never do so they may not really be seeing it as something serious right now. If it really bothers you, limit your contact with them for a while or tell them straight up how you feel when they tease you or try and tempt you. It's one thing to joke and then shut up later when they see you're serious and it's working, but if they don't care or they're being a little mean then that shows how good a friend they are.

But if you feel like it's too much, just decline or ask that everyone gets together at maybe a coffee shop or a bookstore or the movies (where you can sneak in healthier munchies!).
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

this is what i do, too--plan what i'll eat before i get there, visualize scenarios where i might be tempted and come up with a plan to deal with those scenarios. i know that sacrifice in the short term will lead to results in the long term.

the other thing that really works for me--at picnics or parties, etc--is to have a LITTLE bit of the things i REALLY want. if i want both a hot dog and a hamburger, i recruit someone to share with and only eat half of each, and throw away half of the bread that comes with them. if ice cream is being served, i make sure i've kept my dinner calories in check and then allow myself only a SMALL scoop. this way i never feel completely deprived or left out.

alcohol is dangerous when it comes to dieting. if you must drink, vodka mixed with diet sierra mist is probably the lowest-calorie mixed drink you're gonna find at the bar. if you're going to a get-together at someone's house and you know there will be alcohol and you'll want to drink, you could also bring your own light beer. definitely try to limit alcohol to one night per week or less.

more than anything, just realize that YOU have control over what you put in your body--your friends and family don't get to control your eating/drinking any more than they get to control the clothes you choose or the kind of music you like to listen to. it's your body, so it gets to be your choice. best of luck!
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It might be too late but only inform people of your goals if you know they will support you. If you tell everyone and their dog about your lifestyle change, you will feel like everyone is watching every single thing you do and eat...and they may even comment on it. I don't always eat twigs and berries and I don't want someone asking me if I'm "allowed" to have a cookie or a beer. If you've already told everyone, stop talking about it and eventually they will leave you alone.

I had a friend at work that knew I was trying to lose weight before my wedding and she kept shoving cupcakes, cookies, etc in my face. A few weeks ago my Dad asked me if i was allowed to have light pringles as I was eating them. They just don't get it because chances are they've never had to really watch what they eat and don't even realize what they're eating.

For eating out, during the day before going out, eat tons of protein, fibrous veggies and water, avoid anything salty/carby. This will help fend off water weight gain and make you feel fairly full throughout the day. As someone mentioned, go online and decide what you're going to eat/drink so you know how many calories you can have the rest of the day. Deciding beforehand will also make you less likely to make poor choices at the last minute.