Quick question for Americans!

Options

Replies

• blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It means anything other than black. So "cream" can cover fat free skim milk all the way up to half and half which is practically cream.

^^^^This. "Cream" is just a generic term, that's all.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Jam and jelly are not the same thing.

this! thank you!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who uses actual CREAM but I do use creamer. Non-dairy flavored substitute...
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    All of the above and it may even depend on the part of the country you are in. :wink:
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    :tongue: This is the concensus, and I completly agree. Cream in coffee is anything but Black coffee. Whether it is dairy, liguid, or powdered, powdered sugar, regular sugar or even whip cream, whipped milk. I don't care how you do it just lighten that coffee up make it sweet and then add some extra caffine i.e. expreso.:drinker: I like my coffee like I like my women Light and sweet!! :laugh:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on the area you are from.

Cream does NOT mean "any kind of lightener".
    Cream means CREAM. At coffee shops, you say cream and you get cream, no questions asked. It's actually "light cream", 30 cals per tablespoon, mostly fat.
    If you want half and half, you say that.
    If you want whole milk, say that.
    If you want skim, say that.
    Do NOT expect to be asked "what kind".... if you say cream and meant skim milk, you are in for a surprise!
    And if you want whipped cream on top of something, you say "with whipped cream on top", or you don't get it....it is SIMPLE, people!!!

why do some places make it so difficult?
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on the area you are from.

Cream does NOT mean "any kind of lightener".
    Cream means CREAM. At coffee shops, you say cream and you get cream, no questions asked. It's actually "light cream", 30 cals per tablespoon, mostly fat.
    If you want half and half, you say that.
    If you want whole milk, say that.
    If you want skim, say that.
    Do NOT expect to be asked "what kind".... if you say cream and meant skim milk, you are in for a surprise!
    And if you want whipped cream on top of something, you say "with whipped cream on top", or you don't get it....it is SIMPLE, people!!!

***like****
    why do some places make it so difficult?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

I think the OP was referring to Jam in the English usage, in which case it is pretty much the same as Jelly in American English.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm from Ireland. Only place I ever heard about peanut butter and jelly was from Barney, and the idea of it creeped me the hell out!

TKiUf.jpg

Anyway, WOW. Cream seems like the kind of thing we'd only see in a restaurant on holiday, so it's like once a year thing. I thought half-and-half was about the percentage fat of a milk, somewhere between full and skimmed. And I have no clue what a creamer is! Haha. Amazing. When American chains come into Ireland, the main difference is having a hundred choices that you have to rattle off for your order :D
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I put milk in my coffee. If I request cream then that is exactly what I get. Usually my husband gets cream in my coffee and it is so darn good! For me it's a treat.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

^^This. As a home canner, there is a distinct difference between jams, jellies, and preserves.

As to the cream in coffee question, cream refers to half & half, typically. If you want skim or whole milk, then you need to specifically ask for that.

The powdered crap and "creamer" glop is not cream, at least not in my universe. That stuff is gross!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Where I am

cilantro is green leaves fresh

coriander is the dried powdered seeds
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Cream means cream, (not whipped cream though)...and not milk either.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am American. Milk is milk, cream is cream, creamer is creamer, and coffee is black unless I specify otherwise. Maybe its not an 'American' thing but a regional thing?

Also, jam and jelly are different to me but many people use them interchangeably. It's a pet peeve of mine.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I drink actual heavy whipping cream (not whipped) in my coffee. I didn't always. I used to drink flavored non-dairy creamer. I think most Americans mean the non-dairy creamer.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's a loose term for anything that gives your coffee a 'creamy' appearance. Though I normally call it 'creamer'
  • emily2tx
    emily2tx Posts: 77
    Options
    Where I am

cilantro is green leaves fresh

coriander is the dried powdered seeds

YES, this! Are you from the South too?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    All of the above and it may even depend on the part of the country you are in. :wink:

So true! Just like some of us say pop and some of us say soda. And some say "coke" when they mean any soda. This is a big country so you really can't lump us all together when it comes to language. Plus, there are several different types of cream here.. Light cream, heavy cream, whipping cream, half & half, fat free half & half. Most places will put half & half in coffee if you order it "with cream" but some will use light cream, you just never know.

Personally, I like my coffee with skim milk if I can get it, especially in iced coffee. But if I'm in a diner, I'll add one of those little cream cups you get with hot coffee.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have no idea who or where these folks are that think milk and cream are the same thing. If I am ordering a coffee, I ask for milk when I want milk and cream when I want cream (which is not whipped cream, just cream).

Also, jam and jelly are not the same thing and coriander is the seed of the cilantro plant.

I am in Massachusetts, maybe the rest of the US is... umm... different.