Runners...I need your help

Options
2»

Replies

• AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I overcame that with some good music! Check out RockMyRun.com for free mixes that will keep your energy high because you want to hear what's playing next. I also keep reminding myself that if I'm not hurting, I'm not done running. (Hurting as in just tired, not truly injured).
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi read my blog

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/phaze1971

It should help
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Keep your mind busy while running. When I trained for my first marathon, on long runs we would take Trivial Pursuit cards with us and take turns asking and answering questions.

I LOVE this idea!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I started running Jan 1 this year. Through slow and steady work I am now able to "run" 10K. BUT!, this involves "running" & "walking"! I am not a competitive runner!

What worked for me: I started by running/jogging until I was out of breath, then I walked until my heart rate and breath were back to almost "normal" then I would run again until I was out of breath, etc, etc, etc. At the beginning, I set my self a course to run (about 3K) and worked at it until I could run the whole thing with out a break.

As you are on a treadmill, I suggest. Set a distance target, challenging but not too hard. Let's say 3K +/- (up to you). Then run/walk this to get a base time and feel for it. From there work on improving your time to complete that distance. Once that distance becomes "easy", add to the distance and/or increase the angle on the treadmill.

It has been my experience that my performance increases quicker when I set performance goals rather than health/fitness goals. This may not be your formula for success but it has worked for me.

All the best on your journey.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    C25K totally.

And, who will you give more power to...your brain (the one that also lets you eat crappy foods sometimes) or your long, luscious, sexy legs?

I'm going with the legssssssssssss... :wink:
  • vgrazz
    vgrazz Posts: 1
    Options
    Two things:

1. Dump the treadmill! Booring! the scenery never changes. Being outside may trick the brain by processing new information.
    2. Find someone to run with. This person has to be someone who understands your situation and will pace according to your goals.

The hardest part of running is putting on your shoes. Good luck!
  • amcqueen32
    Options
    i agree with whoever mentioned listening to music.. you're going to think this is hilarious, but my son put me on to this and it totally works.. when you're feeling like you're about to stop or slow down, switch over to the theme song from the movie Rocky... works everytime:)
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Get out into nature! I have always hated running on a treadmill or on a track. Find a trail at a park, put on your headphones and just start running. I love to listen to Podcasts when I run. It keeps my mind active and the miles go by pretty quick. It takes a good 30 days for your body to get used to a new workout routine. Keep at it and soon you'll start to notice that you can do three miles without stopping!
  • rachgolds
    rachgolds Posts: 75
    Options
    Trivial Pursuit cards...such a cool idea!!!
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner too and was the same as you. I found a new app now though that unlike c25k you can set your own intervals. I have played around a bit and for me running 2 minutes walking 1 is helping a lot with distance. I can now do this up to 4 miles.
  • willhare
    willhare Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As someone who always abhorred running until the last few years when I learned to actually enjoy it, my best advice is this:

A) Ditch the treadmill and get outside. Once you're outside, you can vary your runs and take in the scenery. Plus, then you're not staring at the numbers. Hide the watch, and just run at your natural pace and let your body tell you when enough is enough. Variety is seriously the key. I rarely do the same run twice. Of course, I live in the city and have seemingly endless route options, but if you're not in a city, try to do whatever you can to keep your runs from becoming stale. Of course, to vary your runs, you might need to…

B) GPS your runs. Whether you use an iPhone/Android/NIke+/Garmin/etc. track your run and use a website like mapmyfitness or adidas micoach or nike+ to visualize everything and encourage your progress. Adidas and NIke both have free training plans, too, and their apps are great. Seeing your "trophies" and accomplishments as you earn them adds extra motivation. Plus, you can friend people and push each other.

C) Sign up for something. Start with a 5k and go from there. I was a little nervous when I committed to my first 5k, but it's that commitment to something that pushes you. You need to convince yourself that there's no backing out and train for it. After that, do another. For me now, I consistently run 4-5 miles a few times a week to stay in shape for my soccer team, but this past year I signed up for a half marathon. That forced me to push myself even further, and after completing the half, I had never felt so accomplished. That's how it'll feel after your first 5k, 10k, etc.

But first, ditch the treadmill. I swear that's the source of the world's hatred for running. I know it was for me! Haha.
  • Maree44
    Maree44 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! You guys have motivated me so much! I know that my legs and my lungs can totally do this run and I am thinking your all right about the treadmill thing, doing 15-20 minutes doesn't seem so bad but 23 minutes of the same spot and same surroundings is just BORING and not motivating at all! I need to get myself outside!

I love you guys!