Couch 2 5K ???? Advice

Options
Okay I've heard a TON of people talking about this Couch to 5K program...

I've looked at it and wondering. Is it really that easy? I can't imagining being fit enough to run 3 miles in 2 months. I'm also heavier than some on here, I'm at 278 now. I really want to try this though, I need to get my bum off the couch! And with the weather here in Florida becoming nicer by the day, running seems like a nice way to do it, especially because it only takes about 30 minutes, not the hour and a half it takes for me to get to and from and workout at the gym I go to (when I manage to make myself go).

Any suggestions, comments, concerns? Should I try to do the 9 week program or should I stretch it out over longer since I'm REALLY out of shape?

And shoe suggestions? I need a good pair, I only own an $8 "skater" pair from walmart, flip flops and flats! Its time I got some real workout shoes.

Replies

• laurajoyk
    Options
    I can't give advice on the shoes, but when I started the couch to 5k I weighed 215 and had the same worries you do. The good thing about the program is that if you start the program you can go at your own speed. If a week is too hard for you, you can always repeat it, you don't have to go right from one week to the next, you can go at your own pace. Its great. I didn't think I could even run a minute straight before I started the program and now I'm on week 4 and running 5 minutes at a time! Its an amazing feeling. And its unbelievably addictive as well :laugh:

Good Luck!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Easy? NO! There is nothing "easy" about it :noway:

I started Couch to 5k as someone who was not "overweight" and a 24 year old who has been relatively athletic for my whole life. However, running was never my thing- I just couldn't do it, absolutely hated it, and I'm not even sure what exactly made me try Couch to 5k, but boy am I glad I did.

I downloaded the Podcasts from Robert Ullery (do I Google search- I'm pretty sure I spelled it correctly), and I also have a HRM that I used to track my calories burned. The first week was difficult, along with the second, third, fourth, etc. My goal was to never have to repeat a week, and I reached my goal- but many, many other people on here have repeated weeks, and stretched the program out over 10, 12, or I think even 15 weeks and had great success. Like anything else, it's a guide but you have to listen to your body and find what works for you.

Absolutely positively make sure you have good quality (aka not old) running shoes. I found some on clearance for $30. You should only be using them for running (not going to the mall, or working in the yard, etc.) so who cares what color they are or what they look like- as long as they fit, you're good.

I started Couch to 5k as a non-runner on June 24th. On August 30th I ran a 5k in 31 minutes and 22 seconds and LOVED every second of it. In my experience, by about week 4 or 5 you really start to "feel" like a runner, and it becomes less like torture and more like a healthy challenge. I think that if you give it time and stick with it, and repeat whatever intervals/weeks you need to, you'll really enjoy it. Push yourself hard, but not to the point where you make yourself sick, or get hurt.

I am by no means and expert, but if you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message :flowerforyou:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    First: Do get some good shoes. I went with New Balance because they have wide sizes. I wear a D width. I was running in walmart specials the first week and WOW my feet and shins and knees were killing me. I got my shoes week 2 and the difference was unbelievable.

So my best advice is yes - get some good shoes. I paid about 70 bucks for mine - which for me is HUGE - I never spend that much but BOY was it worth it.

Secondly - go slow. I read on coolrunning.com that you should go slower than you think you should. As long as you're going it's okay. :)

Thirdly the first two weeks HURT. I could hardly walk down the hall at work and I hobbled everywhere those first two weeks - but I kept going. Stretch afterward - do not skimp on the 5 minute cool down walk and ice your knees or shins or whatever you need to ice after you run.

Fourth - like Kelynn said get a podcast. It doesn't matter which one. Here is a web site with many resources for the C25K. You can find different pod casts there: http://www.c25k.com/

And the last bit of advice I can give is take your time with the program. If you have to repeat a week or two or three, that's okay! You will begin to notice great leaps at about week three - if you are anything like me. You won't be so sore, and you'll start feeling like you can do it.

And you can. :) I'll be 50 in April. I've never been a runner. And I weigh 205 now - but was 10 pounds heavier when I started. I will run week 6 day 1 tomorrow morning. Every week I worry that I won't be able to do the next week, but I can - this program is a good gradual way to get to your goal. You can do this. Just go slow, and you will reap the benefits!!!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I do believe that the C5K is a great program. I myself started in fairly decent shape and don't think that I would have even tried to conquer this without the progress that I was already having with other workout programs.
    Like Kurneckc, I will be starting week 6 day 1 tomorrow. I am loving every minute of it. I did my week 5 day 3 this last Friday and was so excited when I made that 20 minute mark. It was an awesome feeling. When I first starting working out in January of this year, I asked my fiance' to go jogging with me because I knew that jogging would help me burn more calories. Back then I could not even do 90 secs without having to stop and I was not able to breathe very well. I kept trying and I even got some running shoes from Kohl's. I got shin splints so bad I could barely walk. I do not recommend getting any cheap running shoes. It is well worth buying a really good pair. You need to go to a shoe store that will take the time with you and fit you properly for a running shoe. They will actually measure your foot, watch you walk and jog so they can see how you move. They will give you a couple of suggestions and you then choose which one fits best on your feet. Having a good pair is imperative in order to run and feel comfortable doing it. I myself and using Adidas Megabounce 9+, they are awesome. They give you a little spring in your step.
    I also recommend a website www.active.com, It has great information about jogging in general. You can subscribe to it and get newsletters. I enjoy reading all the newsletter, it gives me great tips on how to train better.
    Another suggestion would be is to go to Beachbody.com, they have some really great programs that you can also do. I have done P90X and absolutely love it. You might try Power 90 first and then move to P90X. Power 90 is an easier version on P90X and it kind of a pre-requisite to it. They also have Slim in 6 and I hear alot of people talk about how they enjoy that.
    Also make sure you fuel your body correctly. It is so important to get the right nutrients in your body since you are starting to so some hard training on your body.
    I wish you the best of luck with your journey into the Couch to 5K. Remember to breathe. :bigsmile:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    jjtonic75 said
    Remember to breathe. :bigsmile:

Holy cow that is so true!!!!!!! When you get to the point where you feel like you are going to DIE start to really breathe. Get more oxygen into your system, it honestly helps. I found that at first I was holding my breath, for some goofy reason. I totally forgot about that.

Also, know that motivating yourself to get out the door and doing your c25k program is hard. You wont' want to do it. I /never/ want to do it. But the moment I'm out there doing it, and for the rest of the day thereafter I'm so HAPPY that I did. This is a very common thing that I hear everyone say - that it's just so hard to get started each day but once they do they feel GREAT.

So just realize that the feeling of 'I can't or don't want to do this' is normal. If you can get past that, you can complete the program. :-)

And I had absolutely no exercise program before I started the c25k.
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that might help you out. Just copy and paste into a new window.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How_to_Run_Your_First_5K.htm