Being too skinny much more unhealthy than being overweight

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/10/yet_another_obesity_study/

Anyone seen this new study? What do you guys think about it?

Being a skinny is much more unhealthy than being fat – new study
Maybe you can't be too rich – but you can be too thin

"There is currently a widespread belief that any degree of overweight or obesity increases the risk of death, however our findings suggest this may not be the case," says health prof Anthony Jerant, lead author of the study. "In the six-year timeframe of our evaluation, we found that only severe obesity was associated with an increased risk of death."

Replies

• Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    I'm only just over into the obese category, but I still want to lose the weight, not just for health, but for aesthetic reasons too.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Depending on what you eat would determine how healthy someone is.

I would be considered average, I'm a healthy BMI. I'm sort of skinny fat, but I'm lifting and I eat plenty of protein and healthy fats. I may treat myself once in a while and am slowly building muscle.

I've known people who were skinny, but eat a ton of crap, they don't put any weight on or anything, but they have no idea how much fat could be surrounding there organs and how unhealthy these fatty, greasy and unhealthy foods do to them on the inside. They are at a higher risk at developing many diseases compared to average or even overweight people on here or are eating healthy meals and getting rid of the fat around there organs.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Overweight isn't so bad. It's being obese which is a problem.

I still think both are bad. Being skinny can mean a lack of nutrition so it makes sense. You also have to be incredibly tiny to be underweight. I think my healthy weight range is 105-140lbs
  • ThatsNotMine
    ThatsNotMine Posts: 75 Member
    I just want to say that I hate "studies" like this. The article doesnt say where the health prof teaches, who his collegues are, what the goal of the study was, who their control group was, what they mean by "risk of death"...etc etc
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Another pointless study, being super skinny or super sized can put you at risk.
    Not exercising or eating healthily even if you or an ok size still effects Heath long term it's that simple.
  • Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    Another pointless study, being super skinny or super sized can put you at risk.
    Not exercising or eating healthily even if you or an ok size still effects Heath long term it's that simple.

I agree. I hope that this study isn't taken literally and so obese people still believe they can eat really crappily and be *healthy*. When I first heard about the study I thought... *yeah and I bet Mc Donalds paid for it!!!!*
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Personally, even being slightly over my normal weight makes my life harder. I sweat more, I find many types of movement harder, jeans stop fitting properly (my fat collects around my waist... Most dangerous place!

In life I'm looking for quality, not just quantity!