Interviewing Personal Trainer!

Options
sho3girl
sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
on friday.

I read on another thread that you need to interview like you would for your child's nanny. For someone without children can you advise of questions I should be asking.

thanks in advance

Replies

• Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that was great advice. I have children. I've had a nanny. I can't think of any questions I asked the prospective nannies that would be appropriate to ask a PT (Would you pick me up & cuddle me if I cry? What about tantrums? Biting and hitting? Bedtimes?)
  • sho3girl
    Options
    not quite what i was looking for .... but funny response .. i'm not really a biter :laugh:

anyone else?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    First off, know the reason why you want a trainer. Have a good idea of what you need from a trainer, if you are looking for them to train you in something specific let them know at the beginning of the interview so that you don't waste time if the trainer doesn't do that specific service.

You should ask detailed questions about their certifications. There is no governing body for personal training, anyone can call themselves a "personal trainer," even if they don't have a certification. Ask what type of classes they've taken to get a better idea of their experience. Ask them why they decided to be a personal trainer.

Ask what a typical training session is like, what it consists of. This will give you a clear picture of what it will be like to actually work with that trainer. Be sure to ask how long a session lasts, if it includes a warm-up and cool-down, and what types of exercises will be included during the session.

If you wanted to you could get references, and check them. Never be afraid to ask for references. You will get much more detailed information from a client than you will from the trainer. Call at least two clients and ask what they did and didn't like about training with that person, aAnd of course ask if they would recommend that trainer to others!
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    PT's can be expensive and even though you may not ask the same questions you would a nanny :huh: You do want to interview them with just as much purpose.
    I would write out a list of goals, timeframe, your expectations, any injury or handicap that may have an effect on your ability to work out. When interviewing find out what makes them qualified, a degree, certificate, experience,... How long have they worked at this gym, why did they leave the last one. What do they think of your goals, what is there game plan to assist you with your goals.

See if you sit in on a personal training session, to see if you like their style.

Remember if this person isn't qualified they could really hurt you.

Good luck on your journey!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that was great advice. I have children. I've had a nanny. I can't think of any questions I asked the prospective nannies that would be appropriate to ask a PT (Would you pick me up & cuddle me if I cry? What about tantrums? Biting and hitting? Bedtimes?)
    Lol, trust me when I say that I have had clients that acted on that level.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sho3girl
    Options
    :laugh:
    Lol, trust me when I say that I have had clients that acted on that level.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

but did they ask the biting/cuddle question before hand? obviously to establish boundaries :laugh:

thanks for all the advice .. I knew you were the right people to ask
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    First off, know the reason why you want a trainer. Have a good idea of what you need from a trainer, if you are looking for them to train you in something specific let them know at the beginning of the interview so that you don't waste time if the trainer doesn't do that specific service.
    THIS. Part of the reason I have a waiting list right now is because I'm one of the only trainers in my gym who trains really HEAVY with clients. A lot of my peers are into functional training. Also I do sport specific training, where a lot of my peers don't have that experience.
    You should ask detailed questions about their certifications. There is no governing body for personal training, anyone can call themselves a "personal trainer," even if they don't have a certification. Ask what type of classes they've taken to get a better idea of their experience. Ask them why they decided to be a personal trainer.
    Also ask how long they've done it. Usually the less time they've done it, the less knowledge they have on creating specific programs for individuals.
    Ask what a typical training session is like, what it consists of. This will give you a clear picture of what it will be like to actually work with that trainer. Be sure to ask how long a session lasts, if it includes a warm-up and cool-down, and what types of exercises will be included during the session.
    And you don't have to wait to see them in action. Watch a few of them train other clients.
    If you wanted to you could get references, and check them. Never be afraid to ask for references. You will get much more detailed information from a client than you will from the trainer. Call at least two clients and ask what they did and didn't like about training with that person, and of course ask if they would recommend that trainer to others!
    THIS too. Any trainer who's afraid to do this is usually about making the money and doesn't really have the clients best interest at hand IMO.

Lots of good info here.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    PT's can be expensive and even though you may not ask the same questions you would a nanny :huh: You do want to interview them with just as much purpose.
    I would write out a list of goals, timeframe, your expectations, any injury or handicap that may have an effect on your ability to work out. When interviewing find out what makes them qualified, a degree, certificate, experience,... How long have they worked at this gym, why did they leave the last one. What do they think of your goals, what is there game plan to assist you with your goals.

See if you sit in on a personal training session, to see if you like their style.

Remember if this person isn't qualified they could really hurt you.

Good luck on your journey!
    One of the programs we have in my gym is called "Test the Trainer" where any member can get a free 30 minute session with any of us. I do whatever the member wants to see if they and I "match" each other. They want a high intensity lifting session, then after a quick background check (they fill out forms of past injuries, etc.) we hit it. Personally I've gotten the majority of my clients through doing this.

IDEA Fitness member
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    "Are squats bad for my knees?" If he says yes, or directs you to do half squats- fire him.
    "What kind of curls should i do?" This is a trick question. The answer is "Chin ups" or "Bent over rows"
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    What country?
  • sho3girl
    Options
    What country?

UK
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    https://reps.netxtra.net/directory/default.asp?dir=1

As long as you know their name, you can check if they're registered and their qualifications there.
  • writinwater
    Options
    I'll add - make sure you pick someone you're completely comfortable with.

There's some seriously attractive male trainers at my gym, and I see girls that have sessions with them actually putting on make up BEFORE training!!

You're paying good money for a short period of time, so you want to be concerntrating on working your hardest rather than on how your a** looks during a squat!

Make it count and pick someone you're not afraid to sweat all over! ;)