non sugar eaters....

i've heard that in order to cut out sugar some people decide to stop eating fruit. what do you think??

Replies

• xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    anyone!?
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    When I cut sugar I typically cut added sugars. Ex: Using plain oatmeal instead of flavored from the packet, plain milk in my coffee instead of flavored creamers. I maintain awareness of the sugars in fruit, but I don't sweat it too much. Any particular goal you have in cutting your amount of sugar?
  • I think it's all about balance and what works for you. I am trying to eliminate as much unnecessary sugars as possible a little at a time BUT I won't cut out fruit all together. I enjoy a sprinkling of blueberries (antioxidants) in my oatmeal or some strawberries in my plain greek yogurt. I believe the key is moderation. Some people who go "sugar free" still buy things that aren't good for them but say sugar free on the package. Just because it's sugar free doesn't mean it is free of other harmful/useless ingredients.
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    I only cut out processed sugars. Natural sugars are good for you in moderation.
  • lhiatt
    lhiatt Posts: 21
    I'm diabetic in the process of trying ot get my blood sugars in control. Therefore I have to give up fruit for the most part. :( I can have berries in moderation, but other fruits really bring my blood sugar up!
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    I limit processed sugars; natural sugars in fruit/veggies is okay with me. I do try to keep my natural sugar intake under 35g per day on the program that I'm currently following. I think it would be virtually impossible for me to eliminate ALL sugar...nor do I care to.
  • I only cut out processed sugars. Natural sugars are good for you in moderation.

^^^^This. I limit myself to two servings of fruit a day now. I found out when I started eating fruit again (5-7 servings a day) I plateaued. So I just limit myself to blueberries, lemons, and limes.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    ^^ this is what i do, i am losing weight but have not cut fruit out, what on earth would i eat without fruit!! lol
  • bobemmer
    bobemmer Posts: 16 Member
    i try not to eat additives - i have fruit daily and try not to visit the vendiing machine or buy JUNK when i stop for gasoline!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
  • xTenaciousJx
    thanks everyone....just wanted to see if cutting out all fruits would be healthy. i have cut out most processed sugars in my diet and it works well...i usually only have 2 servings of fruit a day then the rest veggies etc.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I treat fruit like dessert, it's too full of good stuff to cut out completely.

Berries are good ... Chuck them in some greek yoghurt and I am sorted.

Nobody ever got fat from eating apples ;)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    I cut out processed sugars where possible but consider that found in fruit and alcohol just fine! ; ) :drinker:
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member

^^^^^THIS!
    Get those processed pieces of crap out of your mouth for good. So so bad for you. But also realize that eating 2 lbs of watermelon (like I used to do - eeeek!) is also not good. Moderation is the key!

I do low carb and I eat fruit still - but in moderation!
  • xTenaciousJx
    thanks for everyone's responses :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    i eat 20 grams of carbs a day (from veggies mainly) this means no sugar (and no fruit)
    i'll add fruit back in once i get closer to goal.
  • I too don't eat processed sugars, along with some other things, but I eat tons of fruit, it just can't be too ripe. If there are any "bad" spots, then they have to be cut out. I use honey or pure maple syrup or agave nectar to sweeten things. But like I said, I eat lots of fruit. My opinion is, if God made it, it's safe to eat. Of if you don't believe in God, if it grows naturally on the earth, it's safe to eat.

I also want to add that I didn't start losing massive amounts of weight until I did this. I lost 7 pounds the first week.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    I too don't eat processed sugars, along with some other things, but I eat tons of fruit, it just can't be too ripe. If there are any "bad" spots, then they have to be cut out. I use honey or pure maple syrup or agave nectar to sweeten things. But like I said, I eat lots of fruit. My opinion is, if God made it, it's safe to eat. Of if you don't believe in God, if it grows naturally on the earth, it's safe to eat.

I also want to add that I didn't start losing massive amounts of weight until I did this. I lost 7 pounds the first week.

not everything that grows on the earth is safe :P

tasty tasty cocainez
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    This is why portion control is so important.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Fruit (and veg) are typically high in fructose (fruit sugar). Tropical fruit such as grapes, mango, pineapple and bananas are high in sugar. Limit the latter in your diet if you have a problem with carbs & sugars.
    i've heard that in order to cut out sugar some people decide to stop eating fruit. what do you think??