Weight Loss in your Thighs - Need Help

bnewag123
bnewag123 Posts: 19
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm getting very frustrated. My problem is my thighs. I need some direction on what works on trimming them down. Is it all diet? Is there certain exercises I could be doing?

To give you some background, I am 5' 7 1/2" tall. I currently weigh 164 pounds. Most of that is in my hips (butt) and thighs. I have a 29 1/2" waist. The problem is jeans. According to size charts for my hips and waist, I'm one size, but they are tight around my thighs. My thighs measure 22".

I am currently on the last week of Phase 1 of P90X. I have lost 6 pounds since starting the program. I have lost inches around my waist, but not my hips or thighs. Am I just getting ahead of myself? Not being patient enough?

I know this is a silly question, but it is so frustrating. Thank you!

267697.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    I do the abductor and adductor machine
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    You can't spot reduce. I wish I could target my poochy belly and inner thighs. As you lose weight overall, it will come off all parts.

You can do exercise that tones the muscles. Squats and lunges are awesome. Give it time. Usually the hips and thighs are the last place to go
  • I think you should be patient with yourself, I know it's hard but you are exercising well and just need your body to catch up. Stick to a healthy daily menu and you WILL see a difference...:flowerforyou:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    It'll keep coming off. We can't spot lose, so your body is just doing it's thing. I am sure your thighs will catch up when you get closer to your goal weight. :)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Running! I have really seen a difference in my thighs and butt since I began running. Before I did most of my weight was coming off of my stomach. Good luck and it will come off!:flowerforyou:
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    I have always had thighs larger than the rest of my body as well. I always buy jeans to fit my thighs, but due to a very small waist I go and get the waist taken in at an alterations place. I completed P90X 2 weeks ago. It took until day 47 (i kept a day-to-day journal) before I started to see any real change. The boards over at beachbody all say that most people who quit, quit at the day 30 mark. Don't be one of them! When I started my thighs were 19 3/4 inches. At day 90 they were 18.5. I was doing mostly step and weights 3-4 times a week prior to p90x...so I thought my thighs were as small as they were going to get. P90x changed that! I also went from 22% body fat to 15% so that also helps all over, not just thighs. (My hips also are where I saw big improvement. My waist didn't change at all). Looking at my journal, it seems day 75 was also a big day for change.

So...I vote you stick with it. At least through phase 2 before you even think of stopping (although I bet you won't want to!) For the most part I did p90x b/c my husband wanted to. I thought I could lose 3-4 lbs or so but that I was already in pretty good shape...wrong

FYI...I stuck almost exactly to the diet (portion option). I had a few glasses of wine here & there and by the last month I was back to having 1 diet coke a day...but I was pretty spot on with my clean eating.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    You can't spot reduce. I wish I could target my poochy belly and inner thighs. As you lose weight overall, it will come off all parts.

You can do exercise that tones the muscles. Squats and lunges are awesome. Give it time. Usually the hips and thighs are the last place to go

I quoted your advice, because it hits the mark.

The first thing we all have to realize is that we are stuck with the bodies we are born with. We can lose weight, and do some muscle work to optimize what we have, but cannot fundamentally change our shape.

Someone else commented on the importance of having faith in your program and focusing more on the long term. That is excellent advice as well.

Most people starting a program initially just need to lose fat -- anyhow and anywhere. If you can be successful with the initial loss, after time you will get to a point where you can perhaps tailor your program more specifically. At that point, you will most likely have developed both the fitness level and the exercise proficiency to follow a more targeted and aggressive program, if that is what is desired.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    I have the same problem. What worked best for me? Pilates. Seriously. I know technically you can't spot reduce but I was surprised how slim my thighs began to look when I started doing pilates. Even when I was in the best shape of my life (running, weights lifting, yoga, etc) - my thighs NEVER looked long and lean like they did when I did pilates.
  • I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm getting very frustrated. My problem is my thighs. I need some direction on what works on trimming them down. Is it all diet? Is there certain exercises I could be doing?

To give you some background, I am 5' 7 1/2" tall. I currently weigh 164 pounds. Most of that is in my hips (butt) and thighs. I have a 29 1/2" waist. The problem is jeans. According to size charts for my hips and waist, I'm one size, but they are tight around my thighs. My thighs measure 22".

I am currently on the last week of Phase 1 of P90X. I have lost 6 pounds since starting the program. I have lost inches around my waist, but not my hips or thighs. Am I just getting ahead of myself? Not being patient enough?

I know this is a silly question, but it is so frustrating. Thank you!

267697.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator

Well being patient is part of it, but your body shape is your body shape. Even when I was a size 6 in highschool I had a problem. don't know what size you wear, but Lane bryant has the color shape size thing! I'm a 'blue' size 3 the blues come in at the waist so you don't have the extra in the back
  • Thank everyone for their input. I realize that there is no "quick fix". I have no intention of quitting P90X. I really enjoy it and my husband and I are doing it together, which makes it really nice as he works second shift and that is about the only hour I see him during the week. :smile:

I will just have to be patient and see how I am at the end of 90 days. If I still have a ways to go, I will either start another round or mix it up with pilates or running. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.