Amusement Park Embarrassment

Options
2»

Replies

• cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    This is part of the reason I started with MFP in February. There is a program that the school does that takes the kids to a park at the end of the year and my co-worker kept talking about going with her boys this spring. Well I got to thinking and since my oldest is in his first year of school he'll be eligible next spring. I knew right then and there I needed to lose some (a LOT) of weight before then. I am going to go and enjoy that with him and I pray and hope I can continue to lose and fit into the rides. Several years ago we went to Kings Dominion in VA and we rode the boat thing that flips all the way over. I wasn't near as big then as I am now but the bar didn't latch tight on me and every time we flipped I came up out of my seat. I was a crying mess and I haven't been back to a park since. I used to love them too. I hope we can both lose lots more weight and have tons of fun the next time we venture to one of them.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I got heavy, but I am tall enough (6'1") that I never faced these issues. My embarrassment was more in the fact that I worked in a fitness-related industry, with a lot of ex-athletes and so my "imperfections" were magnified. I was also older than most of my coworkers by at least a decade. I used to dread our annual sales meetings because they included boot-camp style workouts and other activities that I couldn't keep up with (I could hold my own in a gym, but, ironically, that was rarely part of the program). It was also hard to see people from my past, or my siblings, who knew me in my athletic, distance-running days--I was always the "health and fitness" guy, so, again, I really stood out.

But nothing I faced was anything like the stories here -- some of them have literally brought tears to my eyes.

You guys have so much courage to share your stories and take those first steps to a better life. I am humbled by your determination.
  • Nichole1017
    Nichole1017 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't think everyone enough. I know when I get down, I will look at this thread and it will get me motivated again! Its nice to know there are people out there who have experienced the same! It sucks that we have in the first place, but I believe everything happens for a reason! MFP should take over an amusement park for the day, lol.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Nichole, I am inspired by you! Anyone who didn't take a day like that as an opportunity to eat themselves into a coma and instead got on MFP to share your experience is an inspiration. A day like that would have made me eat more (like that would have helped...) anyways. I just wanted to tell you how great you are! I think we all need to hear that sometimes and you sharing your story made others share and I think everyone feels better. Someone else said it best when they said "Congrats on fighting back!"

Keep up the good work :)
  • Nichole1017
    Options
    Nichole, I am inspired by you! Anyone who didn't take a day like that as an opportunity to eat themselves into a coma and instead got on MFP to share your experience is an inspiration. A day like that would have made me eat more (like that would have helped...) anyways. I just wanted to tell you how great you are! I think we all need to hear that sometimes and you sharing your story made others share and I think everyone feels better. Someone else said it best when they said "Congrats on fighting back!"

Keep up the good work :)

Thank you mamakat..That really means alot..Its nice to hear that..We all need to be told we are great every once in a while. It puts a smile on my face! Thank you for making my day better!
  • Nichole1017
    Options
    I did 20 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes on the treadmill! I think thats a start!!!!!!!!!!
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    First of all, I'm terrorfied of rollercoasters. But the girl I was with convinced me to go on the 'baby' coaster at Cedar Point called the Mine Ride.

At the time I was 298 pounds. I didn't even think for a second on not being able to fit...until
    I got in and they tried to close the bar across my stomach. Took them a few tries. I'm praying
    to let this bar close because of the possible embarrassment. Luckily they got it to lock.
    I couldn't breathe, but it the bar was down :tongue:

Now I can't wait until next year to go. I should have an easier time at it.

Doug