I want to weight train..Never done it before!Help me start:)

Options
So I see everyone on here talk about weight training/lifting/etc....I have never done it before...Where do I start? What do I need to buy? How do I go about it correctly? I still need to lose quite a bit of weight...Is it ok to start now? Yes I know I sound dumb..lol..Its just new to me:tongue: One thing..I do have weaker wrists(carpel tunnel?)..due to working from home sewing and selling cloth diapers since 2007...so how will that affect it?

Replies

• teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Not sure how your carpel tunnel will effect it, but check out either Starting Strength or All Pro's Beginner Weightlifting Program. Google both of them and go from there. You will be able to make good progress on either one of them. They both incorporate a good routine with compound lifts. Maybe work with a trainer to make sure you have the form down properly, or start with light weights to get the form correct before you try to go too heavy.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    thanx:)
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I think youtube is the best way to learn lifting for begginers. Theres endless videos of how to weight lift with proper form and tempo. Try searching "Scott Herman Fitness" or "Campbell Fitness", they have alot of free and helpful videos
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Get the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It will explain EVERYTHING. I'm on Stage 2 of the program and I couldn't love it more.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    bump
  • javierpiqueres
    Options
    I had tendonitis in my wrists, which from talking to people sounds a little bit like carpel tunnel - it still hurts to put weight on them and I occasionally have painful days... in terms of weight training though I haven't really had any problems...occasionally the bicep curl hurts (I use a machine at the gym), but not often, and no other exercises cause any discomfort - press ups would hurt, but I don't do them, I use machines at the gym to work those muscle groups to compensate. If it does hurt just take it easy, you don't want to exacerbate things.
  • robhigareda
    robhigareda Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think youtube is the best way to learn lifting for begginers. Theres endless videos of how to weight lift with proper form and tempo. Try searching "Scott Herman Fitness" or "Campbell Fitness", they have alot of free and helpful videos

Youtube is definitely good source to get some materials. They have a huge variety of strength training workouts on there that are almost always done.

If you want to learn some moves for strength training and get a great workout, checkout if your gym has a class like BODYPUMP it's a 55 minute weight training class that will teach you good technique with light weight that you can then take out onto the weight floor and use bigger weights with.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    awesome thanx everyone:) I now have some research to do!
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    first you need to have the equipment you needed for training you can look up here http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/ then set your goals and what you really be determine after you can look research for videos which you can use for beginners like you
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This website has a .gif for just about any exercise you could want to do, all in 1 place!

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

Has helped me multiple times to make sure I know what I'm doing before I go to the gym.