Does you weigh yourself every day or just once a week?

Options

Replies

• nancyki
    nancyki Posts: 46
    Options
    I weigh daily but the only number that counts is on Thursday :) So once a week, really
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Every morning
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost every morning and record Saturday's number in MFP...unless, of course, I get a fabulous number...then I count that. Cuz I'm selfish like that. =)
  • kerchki
    kerchki Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday. I want the most information possible about how I'm doing, what works, and what doesn't work. The argument for not weighing yourself every day is that there are so many fluctuations day to day that you can make yourself crazy. My view is that if I'm only weighing once a week, how do a I know if that day is out of whack due to some daily fluctuation? I'd rather know what's going on every day.

Me too! I don't stress about it going slightly up and down, but just celebrate when I hit a new low number. My trend is 1-2.5 pounds a week.
  • LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm an every day weigher.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    Since weight can fluctuate, in my opinion it's better to weigh almost every morning and then average the results over a period of time. For example, I have a little spreadsheet that calculates my average weight over the previous 7 days.

With this approach, my goal is a nice downward trend, and I don't have to worry about 1 or 2 days where my weight inexplicably goes up.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday (unfortunately).. I'm starting to get weird about it.. I don't even know what the point is anyway because I'm pretty sure my scale is inaccurate. Always gives me different readings. I really want to buy a new one.
  • jessjpjb
    jessjpjb Posts: 38
    Options
    Everyday...usually 3x a day
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I dont have an official day...i weigh myself every morning when I get up. I like to see how the food I eat the day before affect my water retention/bloating/etc. I think it's pretty much down to a science now :wink:
  • HerbT51
    HerbT51 Posts: 36
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself every 3 or 4 days. I am not disciplined enough to remember to weigh myself daily. My weigh does vary, up and down (and it can make some people crazy to see the daily fluctuation), but the overall trend is downward. My feeling is if I picked a particular day of the week, I would get a misleading result. (I tend to eat more than my allowed calories on the weekend but under allowance on Tuesdays.)
    I guess it all depends on what works for each individual.
  • Gilleran918
    Options
    I know you're supposed to weigh yourself first thing in the morning but do you all weigh yourself every day or just once a week? Is it practical to weigh yourself everyday because don't you put on weight during the day? I weigh myself every Monday morning.

I weight myself in the morning (and track it in excel) my offical weigh in days are Sundays. i do how every weight myself when i get home from work, and after i exercise, and a few times inbetween, i weigh myself before bed.

For me its so i know what my body is doing.. i know now that i can loose betweel 2 -5 lbs a night depending on my eating habits, workout, water intake, and sleep. Some may find it obsessive (DH is one) but for me its so i keep myself on track. I dont want to fail at this and it helps me regulate.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    because of my past I try to stay away from the scale. that said i will allow myself to weigh ONCE a day. It's better if i don't weight during TOM. it's better if i weigh once a week. but the minute i start obsessing over those scale numbers i'll give my scale to either my fiance or mother. The scale lies.
  • tiger12gal
    tiger12gal Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your body will fluctuate.... I do weigh everyday however I log once a week on Tuesdays as my weigh in day.
  • xxmzangel
    xxmzangel Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I've been to the bathroom to pee and such, mainly to see how certain foods as well as how activities affect my weight. Also because I like to know if there's a trend up or down so that I can be sure my official weigh in on Tuesday isn't just a fluke.
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week(Normally on Fridays).I find that weighing myself everyday drives me crazy,especially with the way my weight goes up and down.
  • smartmom0818
    Options
    What confuses me is, if you only weigh once a week, how do you know that one day isn't the day you're holding water or having hormonal issues, etc? I'm just curious about that.
  • Petefry1
    Petefry1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning. I weigh in and record it every Sunday morning, but hop on the scales to check progress every day - great to see the effect of a bad day and motivate to get back on track, and also works after a good day as motivation to keep going.
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Every day, because it's the "new me". The old me was scale phobic and acted like an ostrich with it's head in the sand. Almost like, if I couldn't see how bad it was, then no one else could see. Well, I enjoy facing the scale every day now. I realize there can be minor fluctuations so I don't let it bother me. I never want to ingore my weight again, so I will probable keep this habit forever!
  • dorite7
    dorite7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I actually weigh... never! I trust that being active and monitoring my food intake will give noticeable results (with time and patience!).

What gives me satisfaction is feeling more comfortable in my body, looking better in photos, and my clothes fitting better. Weight is just background noise that drives you crazy.

Throw away the scale!

I love the way you think!! We are so stuck on the NUMBERS.....and I certainly don't want to be like that but, unfortunately, I am! Atleast I've 'broken the mold' and am not planning on being the weight doctors tell me I should be....I'm actually going for 20 lbs more....that's where I feel most comfortable and that's where I shall stay (if I ever get there!)
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Every day, because it's the "new me". The old me was scale phobic and acted like an ostrich with it's head in the sand. Almost like, if I couldn't see how bad it was, then no one else could see. Well, I enjoy facing the scale every day now. I realize there can be minor fluctuations so I don't let it bother me. I never want to ingore my weight again, so I will probable keep this habit forever!

This is me also. Every single day. I admit that I don't want to be obsessed with numbers, but seeing the digits on the scale helps keep me accountable and motivated.