Shakes or other food "suppliments" - Yay or Nay?

Options
I'm rather new to MFP and have recently started another chapter of attempted weight loss in my life.

Before touring around the site and seeing all the tools and support available I was confronted by one of my aquaintences regarding a shake suppliment product that would help me lose weight. I did some research and the product looks legit but like every "miracle cure" it came at a heafty price tag.

Just curious if anyone else has tried a product out there and if you suggest doing so or keep with the basics of eating healthy?

I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not like most people out there looking for a "quick fix" but I ultimately respect my body too much to put it in harms way!

I look forward to your input and thank you for reading! :)

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not a fan of any of them. For a few reasons:

1. I already spend so much on groceries, I don't want to add to it
    2. I don't believe in "quick fixes" (I'm too cynical)
    3. *My most important reason* I'm in this for the lifestyle change. I want to learn how to eat right for the rest of my life. I have slip ups because hey...I'm human! But I don't want to learn how to lose weight on supplements and then try to RELEARN how to eat in order to maintain. I have the same feelings about programs like Jenny Craig. What do you when you start eating real food again??
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    to be honest, i'm on Body by vi, and have seen some awesome results. But i'm also doing what i can to eat clean the rest of the time. Focusing more on portion control and the fresh foods rather than processed is a big thing for me. either way, do what ever you feel you can do the rest of your life, to make this a lifestyle change versus a "diet" phase youre going through
  • Dorkaleena
    Dorkaleena Posts: 59
    Options
    I drink 2 Herbalife Meal Replacement Shakes. I LOVE them. I feel soooo much better when I drink them regularly and it makes eating healthier foods easier for me. When I drink the shakes my body seems to crave salads and fruits and healthier stuff. (Now, how much of that is mental and how much of it is actually my body talking to me? God. Only. Knows. LOL)
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention). With that being said, I have Ensure or Adkins shakes in my refrigerator for emergencies. If I'm going to run out the door with no time to eat, I know I can grab a shake to tide me over.
    It's not something that I do on a regular basis.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Only if you cannot get your required nutrition (macro and micro nutrients) from "real" food.
  • zakkthebear
    zakkthebear Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    MRD's are a fact of life for me, no other way to transport 40+g of protein at under 300 cals. seem to rely on one every other day or so.
  • dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    whey protein is the only "food replacement" I use. I mix it in with my cereal to give me extra grams of protein and keep me full.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Only if you cannot get your required nutrition (macro and micro nutrients) from "real" food.

Which, if you plan ahead, shouldn't be an issue at all. Check out my diary.
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not a fan of any of them. For a few reasons:

1. I already spend so much on groceries, I don't want to add to it
    2. I don't believe in "quick fixes" (I'm too cynical)
    3. *My most important reason* I'm in this for the lifestyle change. I want to learn how to eat right for the rest of my life. I have slip ups because hey...I'm human! But I don't want to learn how to lose weight on supplements and then try to RELEARN how to eat in order to maintain. I have the same feelings about programs like Jenny Craig. What do you when you start eating real food again??
    So True!!!! GREAT ADVICE!!!!
  • petite_boleyn
    Options
    I drink the Muscle Milk lite shakes before my workout. They're loaded with protein, and I generally use them as a meal replacement. I think they're great in the short term, but I definitely wouldn't add them overall to my lifestyle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Unless you're willing to "supplement" the rest of your life, it's unnecessary. Supplements will usually only account for 1% of your total weight loss. Learn an eating lifestyle you can do forever.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It depends on the shake. They are often times part of a MLM pyramid scheme and are completely over priced. Often, you can go to the market and purchase your own whey and vitamins and make your own shakes for 1/3 to 1/2 of what you would pay for these.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am a partial "nay".

As a general rule I do not take supplements or shakes.

However, I do from time to time add whey protein to my home made smoothies. Usually after a strenuous workout. Aside from this, I prefer lots of fruits, veggies and lean meat protein.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I believe this is a lifestyle change. To me it's all about eating healthy now and eating a sustainable lifestyle. Shakes, pills, "formulas", etc. don't provide that sustainability and more often than not, when we stop using them the weight comes back.

I am a firm believer in not drinking your calories - 8 oz of a shake isn't going to provide the satiety value that real food will. I've lost over 100 lbs (reset my ticker in May) eating healthy (with some splurges along the way).

My vote - save your money and use it to buy whole foods that serve your health (and weight loss) goals! Good Luck!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    MRD's are a fact of life for me, no other way to transport 40+g of protein at under 300 cals. seem to rely on one every other day or so.

It's easy to do that. Eat a chicken breast. 100g of chicken will get you 31g of protein with a mere 165 calories.
  • thetealappeal
    thetealappeal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally, I nay. I'm sure they're good, but mentally that isn't a meal to me so I know I would drink one and then want to eat later.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention). With that being said, I have Ensure or Adkins shakes in my refrigerator for emergencies. If I'm going to run out the door with no time to eat, I know I can grab a shake to tide me over.
    It's not something that I do on a regular basis.

I don't agree with this at all...No matter what kind of food you eat, processed or not, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight whether you're taking in a bunch of sugar or salt a day. Eating less than your body burns a day = weight loss. According to NASM, calories are calories. There is no need to place foods in to these bad vs good categories.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I think most people will advise keep your money in your pocket. Use the tools on MFP, eat your calorie goal and excercise. You will lose weight healthily.

Check out the search function on Community and you will get a lot of answers to your question.

Nothing wrong with protein shakes to supplement your protein but I use them alongside a healthy diet not instead of one.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by supplement, i also had someone quietly recommend that i use a daily shake to up my protein, but i'm a bit fussy when it comes to processed stuff, so i found out how to make my own. I think homemade shakes will be a daily feature for the rest of my life now, they taste soooooo good and are simple to make.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    In my opinion and experience the only permanent fix to weight loss is to eat healthy and move more. It is a mindset and lifestyle change. Quick fixes are just that - quick; but rarely can one maintain the results.