Mirror Image vs. Real Life

Options
Does anyone else ever look in the mirror and think "Hey, I don't look that bad!" but when you see a photo of yourself, you have the OMG moment where you're like "Holy crap, I look like a cow!" Yeah. That moment just happened. I saw a candid photo of me from three weeks ago and it was the first time I really saw how fat my legs and knees looked... I don't really see myself that way when I look in the mirror. Sure, I know I'm overweight but I thought I looked okay, you know? Just wow. Talk about motivation!

What do you see when you see yourself in a mirror versus in a photo? Do you see a difference like I do or is it the same?

Replies

• Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I went up a size and a half over the past 2 years and when I looked at myself in the mirror I still saw the skinny me. It wasnt until I saw a pictures of me from February when I saw how big my face looked. I looked like the thing who swollowed me, not myself. But even after that, when I looked in the mirrow i didnt see much difference. Now I have went down a size and the only place I see it is in my face. When I saw new pics of me my face looked like me again and noticeablly thinner. Yet still, I look in the mirror and I still see the same exact thing as when I was skinny and heavy. No change despite the fact that all my old clothes are hanging off me and everyone at work tells me how much weight i've lost---I don't see it.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Race photos are particularly bad like that for me. Those photographers do it on purpose! :tongue:
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I look in the mirror and think my arms look flabby, my thighs could be more toned, my stomach is too round, the list goes on....and then I see myself in photos and I'm like "oh...I actually look pretty small...."
  • bridgettegarzonie
    bridgettegarzonie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My face. I have my mom's neck. I'm not super overweight (actually considered healthy) but my face is fat, especially when I smile in pics. It really hit me when I had to go to the DMV to get a new drivers license picture and he handed me my temp one. I cried in the car b/c I didn't know it looked that bad. Now every picture I take that's all I see...
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    This makes me think of a line I saw in a tv show or movie I can't remember what it was though

Girl: The camera adds ten pounds
    Guy: So how many cameras were actually on you?

*Edit to say I'm pretty sure it was friends, Monica and Chandler banter.
  • dropitquick
    Options
    I feel like I look great in the mirror and terrible in pictures! It's like a completely different person. I hope the mirrors are more accurate than the pictures.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    same here....look in the mirror, hey im kinda cute,
    see a recent pic in the same outfit I thought I was cute in. :noway: i was huge. like really!? sheesh!
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me this week... and I felt discouraged! But hey, I am on my way to appearing as I do in the mirror ;)

Make it a great day ladies!
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yup, i went to a concert not to long ago and thought i looked cute and after seeing the pictures I was like OMG I can't believe I felt cute in that!! I will probably never wear that shirt again. Ehh!! That was def motivation for me.

Needless to say I deleted all the pictures..
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same, ok about the mirror but horrified at photos but since losing the weight I am much happier with the photo images.:smile:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes. Every.damn.time. I hate photos of myself. Finally, I'm starting to get a few that I don't "hate".
  • Berberena33
    Berberena33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The quote previously mentioned is from FRIENDS! Monica states the camera adds 10 pounds when they watching old videos from highschool and Chandler responds with his smart comment like always!! I LOVE THAT SHOW!!

I always think I look worse in pictures too than when I look at myself in the mirror... and I am going with Monica's therory, the camera added the weight!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Me. I just took some "before" photos since I started a weight lifting regimen, and I can't bring myself to post them on my profile. Hopefully they'll be less embarrassing along side an awesome after shot.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    This makes me think of a line I saw in a tv show or movie I can't remember what it was though

Girl: The camera adds ten pounds
    Guy: So how many cameras were actually on you?

*Edit to say I'm pretty sure it was friends, Monica and Chandler banter.

it was ! :smile:

along with

And the fat girl inside of me really wants to go. I...I owe her this. I never let her eat.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Race photos are particularly bad like that for me. Those photographers do it on purpose! :tongue:

AGREED!! :noway:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I guess I have a similar issue...I look down at my body, and I don't think I look too bad...then I look in the mirror and don't recognize the fat lady...then I see a picture and I REALLY want to cry.

I have a series of pics on my profile. The first one was taken by a friend at a birthday party and put on facebook. I wanted to cry when I saw it--I had more rolls than a bakery! The rest of the pics are taken starting about a month later, and they show the progress of my weight loss. I still don't look great, but I am on my way!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Mirror: You look HOT today!

Me: Woohoo!!!

*takes a photo to document*

Camera: Seriously? The mirror told you that? HA!!!

Me: :cry: ...:sad: ...
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else ever look in the mirror and think "Hey, I don't look that bad!" but when you see a photo of yourself, you have the OMG moment where you're like "Holy crap, I look like a cow!" Yeah. That moment just happened. I saw a candid photo of me from three weeks ago and it was the first time I really saw how fat my legs and knees looked... I don't really see myself that way when I look in the mirror. Sure, I know I'm overweight but I thought I looked okay, you know? Just wow. Talk about motivation!

What do you see when you see yourself in a mirror versus in a photo? Do you see a difference like I do or is it the same?

I do :(. I never feel I look bad when I look in a mirror but when I see a photo I freak out. Its odd, dont know why the images seems so different in my head.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    I do this all the time! It was so bad last summer - my friend took pictures and then sent them to me a couple months after I started working out and I was SHOCKED! And I thought I had looked good in the summer, but no, I was 20 pounds heavier. It makes me think that when I have lost weight now, I still look bigger than I think :(
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I look in the mirror and think my arms look flabby, my thighs could be more toned, my stomach is too round, the list goes on....and then I see myself in photos and I'm like "oh...I actually look pretty small...."

Yes this here too.