A complete stranger

Options
madmama
madmama Posts: 123 Member
I don't know if I should be flattered, but I got whistled at today. A total stranger is a wreck of a truck whistled at me as I am walking across a parking lot. My reaction was to give him the finger but I know he was reacting to my shape. He was also young enough to be my kid. :embarassed:

What would all of you have done??

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Scowled but been smiling on the inside :wink:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Copy down his license number and mail him a thank you card. :laugh:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha I have been noticing this too lately. I walked about 2 miles from campus to my house on Saturday and got quite a few catcalls, many of them from business trucks. It is annoying, but just take it as a compliment. That person thinks you look good, or perhaps they are being obnoxious, but you have to make the best of the situation! :happy:
  • gunswife
    Options
    ignored it but wouldve been flattered :-)
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    shake it a bit more :laugh:
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options

LMAO!!! That would be my answer also!!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

With a thrown back look of disgust, and then a secretly pleased smile when looking forward (that he couldn't see) :laugh:
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I too would have ignored him; however, I would have realized what a great complement and be pleased that I l look that good AGAIN!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I used to live in a downtown building where a group of men hung out in a courtyard by the front door. And, I would get "holla-ed" at almost every time I would come home. One day, I turned around and angrily asked (OK, yelled at) one of the guys:

"Why do you do that to me?"

to which he replied (with no guile whatsoever) "Because I want you to feel more beautiful."

Since then, I have decided that's why all men do it (probably not true, but it gets me through the day.):tongue:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I don't do it, because it's boorish and asinine and disrespectful - but I will tell you that the guys' motives are fairly reasonable. They want to tell you that you look good, and they don't know a better way to do it.

If you walk past a bunch of guys working on a hydrant, they may wolfwhistle/catcall/"hey baby" you,,, but if anybody laid a hand on you they'd promptly rip him to shreds. It's what we do. :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I don't do it, because it's boorish and asinine and disrespectful - but I will tell you that the guys' motives are fairly reasonable. They want to tell you that you look good, and they don't know a better way to do it.

If you walk past a bunch of guys working on a hydrant, they may wolfwhistle/catcall/"hey baby" you,,, but if anybody laid a hand on you they'd promptly rip him to shreds. It's what we do. :smile:

One catcall and I feel pretty. :bigsmile:

A second catcall from the same guy/group and I start to worry. :ohwell:

But knowing the other guys would "rip him to shreds" makes me feel better. :flowerforyou:
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    hehe I l've been catcalled a few times and I always just ignore it and remain composed but like others who posted, I am secretly thrilled. Even if the guys are pretty gnarly looking dudes, its nice that at least they think I look nice enough to whistle or whatever and it secretly makes my day. Doesn't happen all that often though, I suppose it would get annoying on a consistent basis.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    stick my back side out and give it a slap :laugh: Or I could remain lady like and ignore it and keep going :noway: but wheres the fun in that!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Nice to hear a man's perspective. Casper, I love Robert Fulghum....and I'm always flattered by a whistle.
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    After I walked a few more feet I did let a smile creep onto my face. I still don't like that it happened, but it did make me feel good.

Thank you for the guys perspective Casper. Gives us all a different perspective.:bigsmile:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

X2 - most guys don't know any better.

Curiousity .
    - If you saw another lady walk by the same area and got a "cat call' and then when you walked by, they didn't.
    Would you feel better that they didn't "cat call you" or would you think. Oh, they didn't notice me, but they noticed her.

Even though it's not proper, It's still a compliment ladies, enjoy and smile walking away.
  • loulabelle
    loulabelle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One of my friends got whistled at when she was walking past a building site - she turned around and whistled straight back!! they had NO idea what to do - I swear it was probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    One of my friends got whistled at when she was walking past a building site - she turned around and whistled straight back!! they had NO idea what to do - I swear it was probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: bwahaha...thats something i would do:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options

That's ingenious!

Please, ladies. Feel free to whistle at me anytime. I won't mind,,, :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!