Overhydration

Options
so...theres my problem i started last week...its OVERHYDRATION..i fell in love wit rooibos herbal tea mixed wit stevia and couldnt stop drinking every hour or two...drank like 20 cups or more...feeling really sick now..i kno i am recommended to drink at least 8 glasses but i love tea way too much and im really worried because my brain is pressured and i have no energy to talk to anyone or do my work! PLEASE HELP!! HOw will i have self control tomorrow?!?! thanks!

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned about the water as much as putting such a large amount of herbs and stevia into your body. I often drink about 150 oz of water in a day and I've never felt overhydrated.

I think the general rule of thumb is pretty much as long as your urine is still tinted yellow, you're not overhydrated.

According to faqs.org, an adult whose heart, kidneys, and pituitary gland are functioning properly would have to drink more than two gallons of water (which is like 7.5 liters) a day to develop water intoxication.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You're not overhydrated. Too much herbs and stevia. Does the tea have caffeine in it
  • twilight1542
    Options
    so...theres my problem i started last week...its OVERHYDRATION..i fell in love wit rooibos herbal tea mixed wit stevia and couldnt stop drinking every hour or two...drank like 20 cups or more...feeling really sick now..i kno i am recommended to drink at least 8 glasses but i love tea way too much and im really worried because my brain is pressured and i have no energy to talk to anyone or do my work! PLEASE HELP!! HOw will i have self control tomorrow?!?! thanks!

Sounds like your body is reacting to you consuming too much caffeine rather than too much water. I drink between 100-200 oz of liquid every day & have never felt overly hydrated. Cut back on tea & drink more plain water & you should feel much better :)
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

You are not overhydrated. The kidneys can filter 15 liters of water a day!!!

I believe that Roobios tea is caffeinated.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I was on jury duty once and was so over-hydrated I inurrupted to trail and asked for a short recess. I don't think the judge, or lawyers were very happy with me.:bigsmile:
  • aniralav
    Options
    Unless you drank all of that tea in an hour you are not overhydrated. Water intoxication comes from the fact that if you ingest too much water too quickly the electrolites in your body can't balance fast enough and then problems occur.

I would check to other ingredients in your tea and what their recommended doses are. Too much of certain herbs can be very toxic.
  • Demetria
    Options
    I would cut down on the stevia and you could make the tea weaker.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50742
    rooibos tea:
    has a low tannin content (only1-4%), which means that it doesn't inhibit the absorption of iron (something that black tea does)
    contains no caffeine

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50559
    Drink no more than eight ounces every 20 minutes