Learning how to ride a bike as an adult...

Options
2»

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    With A Helmet. Always a helmet. Never without a helmet. Ever.

Now, as to actually learning - first, set your seat low so you can reach the ground with straight legs while seated on the bike. This may mean actually getting a bike that's a little small for you, so see if you can borrow a cheap bike from a friend for this. Look for a "cruiser" (heavy) bike because they are really built for low speeds and uneven terrain, so they are a lot more forgiving.

Start out on grass or a really soft and forgiving surface. Walk the bike (some people actually remove the pedals for this step, but basically you are walking to build up a little speed, then kinda loping along seated on the bike). This gives you a feel for the balance of the bike. Use the brakes gently and get a feel for how those work. The bike should be supporting most of your weight, and your feet should be ready to catch yourself at any time - just like walking but with a bike under you.

Next, try jogging or pushing a little harder. Coast when you can with your feet off the ground. This is increasing your familiarity with the balance of a moving bicycle. Understand that the faster you go, the more gyroscopic forces from the spinning wheels will support you, but you're just familiarizing yourself with the mechanics of sitting on a bike.

Set the gears low. With one foot planted firmly on the ground, push the opposing pedal down gently and coast with your feet ready to catch you. Gently brake to a halt. Repeat this a few times until you are comfortable with starting out.

Next, push the pedal down, put both feet on the pedals, and pedal a few rotations, then put your feet down and brake to a halt.

After a surprisingly short time, it should be comfortable and natural to just launch off and go.

Be patient with yourself. I've helped a few people get started as adults with this technique, and most of them are comfortable riding around in the yard in ten minutes. Other people, particularly those prone to freezing up and panic, take a little longer. Relax - you aren't going to fall if your feet are ready to catch you! I've never had anyone actually fall except once, and she didn't get hurt - just a few grass stains and a good laugh.

Relax. After an hour, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I know how to ride a bike but have not ridden since a kid.. Just bought one last year with gears and haven't a clue how to work them!
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have no tips for this. But I'm so happy I'm not alone!
  • StrongerNC
    StrongerNC Posts: 13
    Options
    With A Helmet. Always a helmet. Never without a helmet. Ever.

Now, as to actually learning - first, set your seat low so you can reach the ground with straight legs while seated on the bike. This may mean actually getting a bike that's a little small for you, so see if you can borrow a cheap bike from a friend for this. Look for a "cruiser" (heavy) bike because they are really built for low speeds and uneven terrain, so they are a lot more forgiving.

Start out on grass or a really soft and forgiving surface. Walk the bike (some people actually remove the pedals for this step, but basically you are walking to build up a little speed, then kinda loping along seated on the bike). This gives you a feel for the balance of the bike. Use the brakes gently and get a feel for how those work. The bike should be supporting most of your weight, and your feet should be ready to catch yourself at any time - just like walking but with a bike under you.

Next, try jogging or pushing a little harder. Coast when you can with your feet off the ground. This is increasing your familiarity with the balance of a moving bicycle. Understand that the faster you go, the more gyroscopic forces from the spinning wheels will support you, but you're just familiarizing yourself with the mechanics of sitting on a bike.

Set the gears low. With one foot planted firmly on the ground, push the opposing pedal down gently and coast with your feet ready to catch you. Gently brake to a halt. Repeat this a few times until you are comfortable with starting out.

Next, push the pedal down, put both feet on the pedals, and pedal a few rotations, then put your feet down and brake to a halt.

After a surprisingly short time, it should be comfortable and natural to just launch off and go.

Be patient with yourself. I've helped a few people get started as adults with this technique, and most of them are comfortable riding around in the yard in ten minutes. Other people, particularly those prone to freezing up and panic, take a little longer. Relax - you aren't going to fall if your feet are ready to catch you! I've never had anyone actually fall except once, and she didn't get hurt - just a few grass stains and a good laugh.

Relax. After an hour, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Thanks so much!!! It is encouraging to hear that you have taught other adults...I have found a smaller bike...I tried with a larger bike but was so uncomfortable because my feet could barely touch the ground. All this advice is great!
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I didn't know how many people didn't know how to ride a bike, people act like I'm a freak! No advice but soooooo excited for you!!! Good Luck!!!!
  • Dragonflybjm63
    Options
    amazing info for those getting back on their wheels, Thanks
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I clicked on this post!

I'll be 58 in September and haven't ridden a bicycle since 1990 (after a bad crash).

I learned how to ride a bike when I was 19 years old. It was scary because I had no sense of balance and I kept forgetting to use the brakes -- I would literally jump off the bike to stop, something my best friend found to be hilariously funny. (I have a crooked pinky as a reminder of this time in my life.)

All of this information shows me that I am not alone and that makes me feel better about finally getting back to bicycling. I especially like the idea of the grassy hill, something I would never have thought to try.

I remember loving the feeling of bicycling on long country roads. Yes! I'm going to do this -- fat *kitten* and all!
  • StrongerNC
    StrongerNC Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm so glad I clicked on this post!

I'll be 58 in September and haven't ridden a bicycle since 1990 (after a bad crash).

I learned how to ride a bike when I was 19 years old. It was scary because I had no sense of balance and I kept forgetting to use the brakes -- I would literally jump off the bike to stop, something my best friend found to be hilariously funny. (I have a crooked pinky as a reminder of this time in my life.)

All of this information shows me that I am not alone and that makes me feel better about finally getting back to bicycling. I especially like the idea of the grassy hill, something I would never have thought to try.

I remember loving the feeling of bicycling on long country roads. Yes! I'm going to do this -- fat *kitten* and all!

I'm just glad to hear I'm not alone too!!! I have NO sense of balance, so my previous attempts have not been great. I also like the grassy hill and the baseball field suggestions...I will definitely try that...I'm mostly afraid of falling....I'm 34 and nervous about falling!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do you have a cycling club where you live.? Many of them offer adult "learn to ride" programs (a little OT but one of the members of the triathlon club I belong to learned to ride just before participating in a triathlon - he'd used the spinning bikes in the studio but had never ridden a real bike)
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    So - this is me being encouraging but not helpful. Good luck!
    :laugh:
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    Just one, WEAR a helmet! Even short falls can cause big injuries, protect that melon! :)