What gves? 5k advice!

Options
lsilly15
lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
So I am doing a 5k on Sunday (first one!) and I find myself completely exhausted from training lately. Last night I only did 2 miles! I do start to struggle around that point but I couldn't go any further. I dont know why I am getting tired lately because Ive been training for the past 8 weeks! Any advice?

Also- any advice on what I should do/take/ettiquiette for the first 5k?

Replies

• kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're taking rest days from training. I find that when I get really worn down, a day off from exercise, lots of water, and maybe eating over my calories tend to help. Your body is asking for a break, I'd imagine.

As for tips and tricks...don't wear anything you haven't already run in (I did it once and the shirt chafed like crazy), line up in the correct area for your pace if they have it marked (you don't want to get in the way of faster runners or be stuck behind slow runners when it's all bunched up at the start). And Have fun!!

Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You either need to eat more, sleep more, or train less. One of these is out of balance and is affecting your recovery.

How big is your calorie deficit? If it is too large you will over time deplete your glycogen stores in your muscles and run out of energy.

How much do you sleep each night? Ideally you need to get 8 or more hours a night. If you are getting less than 7 your recovery between workouts is comprimised.

How often do you run? If it is 3 or 4 times a week you are probably ok. If it is more you may need to back off some until your fitness improves more.

How hard do you do each run? If you are racing yourself each time you will wear yourself down both physically and mentally over time. Run easier on some runs. Run harder once or twice a week. Save the max efforts for the race.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You either need to eat more, sleep more, or train less. One of these is out of balance and is affecting your recovery.

How big is your calorie deficit? If it is too large you will over time deplete your glycogen stores in your muscles and run out of energy.

How much do you sleep each night? Ideally you need to get 8 or more hours a night. If you are getting less than 7 your recovery between workouts is comprimised.

How often do you run? If it is 3 or 4 times a week you are probably ok. If it is more you may need to back off some until your fitness improves more.

How hard do you do each run? If you are racing yourself each time you will wear yourself down both physically and mentally over time. Run easier on some runs. Run harder once or twice a week. Save the max efforts for the race.

Great advice !!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    2 days off after a race and all runs should be at an easy pace. Maybe you are mentally burnt out?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Great advice from PP. Dont be afraid to rest, it is amazing what a good couple of days off can do for your running.

Here is a great thread on advice for your first race
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

But etiquette-wise - since you asked specifically, place yourself at the start line accordin to pace. The slower you are, the farther back.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Good advice! Don't run the day before your race. carb load and drink lots of water the day before.
  • ttesta20
    ttesta20 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ideally the week before any race should be a "taper" week, which means you gradually lessen your mileage and intensity in preparation for the race. It seems counter-productive, but it's giving your body a much-needed rest before the big day!

As for race day, be sure to eat a healthy serving of carbs the night before -maybe some whole wheat pasta with chicken. The morning of the race you will want to keep your breakfast light - I usually have plain fat free yogurt with a drizzle of honey and diced apple or banana mixed in. If it is a timed race where you will be wearing a bib or tracking chip and you can't pick up your packet the night before, be sure to show up at least 30 minutes in advance for pick-up - if the lines are long, you will want time to stretch after standing. When I first started out, I would line up toward the back of the pack. That way I didn't lose my confidence when a huge amount of people passed me right at the start. :tongue:
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great advice from PP. Dont be afraid to rest, it is amazing what a good couple of days off can do for your running.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

But etiquette-wise - since you asked specifically, place yourself at the start line accordin to pace. The slower you are, the farther back.

Thanks for posting this! I'm not a first-timer, but it's still great advice, especially as I'm training for longer distances now.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    When it comes to a 5k, you don't need to do anything different than what your normal routine is. You don't need to carbo load and make sure you don't eat anything different the night before that may cause you issues on your run in the morning. Too much fiber can do that.

I would do what others have said about you being burnt out. Maybe you need to find a different route or add some new music (if you run to music). Sometimes those simple things can help. I know they do for me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this! I'm not a first-timer, but it's still great advice, especially as I'm training for longer distances now.

Sorry, I just assumed first 5k = first race. :)
    Odd considering my first race was a Half Marathon so my first 5k wasn't my first race either.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies! I was thinking last night what it could be.. I think alot of it is mental and Im starting to psych myself for this weekend with the first 5k! I find myself NOT wanting to work out tonight or tomorrow and that is very unlike me. And when I dont want to work out then I feel I dont put my all into it so it was just a waste of time and effort. I have no clue why I am in this funk.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    When it comes to a 5k, you don't need to do anything different than what your normal routine is. You don't need to carbo load and make sure you don't eat anything different the night before that may cause you issues on your run in the morning. Too much fiber can do that.

I would do what others have said about you being burnt out. Maybe you need to find a different route or add some new music (if you run to music). Sometimes those simple things can help. I know they do for me.

I think lawcat is exactly right. A 5k is so short (hopefully!) that carb loading is completely unnecessary. (Carb loading is intended for runs longer than 90 minutes.) Even your pre-race meal shouldn't be anything different than what you usually do before you run. If you eat before, then eat. If you don't, then don't.

It is possible that you have over-trained a little. You've probably heard this before, but it bears repeating:
    "You don't get stronger by running. You get stronger during the RECOVERY from running." That doesn't mean sitting on the couch. It doesn't even necessarily mean not running - just that whatever exercise you do on your 'recovery' days should be light, compared to your normal distance and pace. Oh, and taking in some carbs immediately after your run makes a big difference, too.

One last thing, and this is more of a personal 'what works for me' thing ... caffeine! Take some in whatever form you like about an hour before your race. I discovered the hard way that it makes a HUGE difference in my energy level during a run. Now I never leave home without it!

Good luck in your race!