Can you recommend a HRM?

Options
I have finally come to the conclusion that I should get a HRM because I don't trust the amount of calories MFP calculates I earn through exercise.
I would like something that's not too complicated to use, doesn't have too many functions (I'm only really interested in cals/fat burnt, heart rate, stopwatch and anything else you think I should include for basic monitoring), doesn't interfere with broadband speed (I've read that some do), is waterproof, available in the UK and doesn't cost more than £40.
Any ideas?

Replies

• p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, does the job perfectly and simply. This is my second Polar HRM, defo recommend the brand!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like my Polar FT60, but I think that'd be out of your listed budget by a bit. My friend has an FT4 that she likes pretty well and I think she got it for a good price.

It's not really waterPROOF though. And I don't swim with it. It claims to be water resistant but I've heard of people complaining that it doesn't track so well in water.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you're not fussed on getting a flash one - Lidl has just advertised that from tomorrow they are selling some for only £12.99.

I'm going to get one tomorrow - would love a polarF7 but can't justify it atm and from what I read no HRM is 100 accurate anyway so thought I'd give this a go.

Think they have a link on their website if you want to check it out - a few others UK users were posting the link earlier on my homepage.
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also use a Polar, mine is an F7. When I was looking it seems the most popular brand on MFP, if you go to their web site you can check out the different models and see what features you need or want to pay for, good luck.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The first HRM I had was a Polar, this one is a bit more but looks like it covers what you need
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polar-FT4-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B0037V01SK/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

this one is cheaper but I cant find anything that says if it works out your calorie burn on not
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/POLAR-FT1-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B007JWO7A6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

good luck
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar HRM!!!! Has made a world of difference in my workouts plus it is super easy to use.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. Never workout without it now.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    How about recommendations for one that's NOT worn on the wrist? I'm not a watch person and really don't want to wear one in that manner. Anyone have any personal experience with ones like that? Or alternately, one's that are just the monitor part and use a smartphone? There are lots of those out there from what I've seen, but I'd love to hear about some personal experiences with them!
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you're not fussed on getting a flash one - Lidl has just advertised that from tomorrow they are selling some for only £12.99.

I'm going to get one tomorrow - would love a polarF7 but can't justify it atm and from what I read no HRM is 100 accurate anyway so thought I'd give this a go.

Think they have a link on their website if you want to check it out - a few others UK users were posting the link earlier on my homepage.

Thanks for that. I've just looked on their website and it looks like just what I'm after and the price is definitely better than I thought I'd need to pay.
    I can't get to my local branch until Friday so I'm going to keep fingers and toes crossed that they'll still have some in stock.
    Thank you once again. :flowerforyou:
  • jsilky
    jsilky Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am glad you said that!! I just ordered the same one last night... I go to Piloxing and the instructor recommended this one to me. :-)
  • janemem
    Options
    Thanks guys, if I can't get the Lidl one on Friday then it would seem that I need to be looking for a polar FT4. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • janemem
    Options
    I am glad you said that!! I just ordered the same one last night... I go to Piloxing and the instructor recommended this one to me. :-)

Which one, the Lidl one? How did you order it?
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have a sportline one with a chest strap....it was 50$ at walmart :)
    you'll def want the chest strap tho! it's more accurate because it has a constant reading!
  • kmac524
    kmac524 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I just ordered a Polar FT4. Can't wait!
  • janemem
    Options
    The first HRM I had was a Polar, this one is a bit more but looks like it covers what you need
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polar-FT4-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B0037V01SK/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

this one is cheaper but I cant find anything that says if it works out your calorie burn on not
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/POLAR-FT1-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B007JWO7A6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

good luck

Thanks for that. The FT1 would be perfect but for the fact it doesn't show calorie/fat burn.
    The FT4 is pricier than I can afford but fi I don't get the cheap one from Lidl then I'll just have to start saving harder. :happy:
  • janemem
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I just ordered a Polar FT4. Can't wait!

Do you mind me asking how much you have paid? I can't find any in my price range unfortunately.
  • janemem
    Options
    I have a sportline one with a chest strap....it was 50$ at walmart :)
    you'll def want the chest strap tho! it's more accurate because it has a constant reading!

I'm looking this one up now, what model have you got and does it include calorie/fat burn?.
    Thanks for the suggestion. :flowerforyou:
  • Cervantest
    Cervantest Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :laugh: i messed up. Sorry
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, does the job perfectly and simply. This is my second Polar HRM, defo recommend the brand!

I agree! I just got one and I love it!!