I'm So Confused.

Options
I've been using MFP for about a month now, but just now starting to read the message boards. I see a lot of posts about protein shakes and I am really confused by all the different shakes.

I started using ViSalus (can I use name brand) in March after seeing my neighbor's amazing results on it. When starting it, I knew it wasn't necessarily for long term, but to jump start my mind and body into losing weight. I like it because it is quick and easy for breakfast and lunch... just throw the stuff in the blender and it's done. I can take it with me in the car and have my meal while driving...

So here is where the confusing is... how is this stuff any different than what is on the shelf at the store?? Can I use the stuff at the store and it will be just as good/healthy? Is it a protein shake? I've seen whey protein shake mix, soy protein shake mix, etc. And I'm so confused as to what these are for. I always thought protein shakes were for body building. Are these protein shake mixes for meal replacements or are they for snacks?

I did the slim-fast shakes many many years ago and they always made me sick... too sweet and never left me filling full. ViSalus is delicious (but of course I'm adding fruit to it) but so expensive. If someone could give me some insight on protein shakes and stuff, I would appreciate it.

~Melody

Replies

• JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful with protein mixes because of the sugar content. Watch out for those. I use Unjury that is given to me by my nutritionist. It has low sugar. Beachbody.com has a lot of stuff too. High protein is a plus. Some taste awful too. So that would be a preference thing.

For me, which you can take as just another preference, I put in:

1 scoop protein mix
    1 cup frozen fruit
    1 cup almond milk
    1 individual or 1 cup yogurt

That usually works as breakfast for me. I'm not a breakfast person! LOL :)

My diary is open so you can add me if you like. Going on vacation but back in full swing on here on July 23. :)

Good luck!
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Protein shakes are just supplements which help you hit your macro and calorie goals every day. For the most part, the brand and type of protein in them wont make much of a difference, pick whichever one you like the taste of. They are not only for bodybuilders..though different supplement companys advertise towards a certain group of people. The only difference between a "slimfast" protein shake and a "Muscle Pharm" shake is their targeted customers. Some advertise towards men and others towards women. What you need to look for is the macros in each. Find a shake with the right about of protein/carbs/fat that you want, and try it out. As for the different types of protein..whey, casein, and soy are the most popular ones. Whey is adverstised as fast-digesting while Casein will slowly feed your muscles protein. I prefer going with a shake that has a mixture of all 3 types of protein, but it will make a minimal difference if any. Sorry this got kinda long but to sum it up: Find a protein shake which contains the macros and ingredients you want (ignore the name), and see if you like the taste!
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    Options
    Macros? What is that. Sorry if I'm ignorant on this subject.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Watch what you read on the forums. Lots of BS abounds.

Most protein shakes are just marketing vehicles. Read the label closely.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Macros? What is that. Sorry if I'm ignorant on this subject.

Carbs, Protein and Fat.
  • melann1974
    Options
    Thanks guys.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Visalus is not a "protein" shake. It is more of a meal replacement shake. The quality is questionable. There are those who feel that they don't use the ideal vitamins for absorption. Also, on it's own it is very low in calories and fat, even protein, to be considered a good meal replacement, but I believe many people add things to it that could change that.

Protein shakes are not meal replacements either. They are used to increase intake of protein. If you add things to it like peanut butter, yogurts, oats, fruits, etc, it can become a meal replacement. Protein shakes are not just for bodybuilders, anyone can use them if they are having trouble meeting protein requirements.

Search some threads on this topic. I know that in other threads people have suggested ways to get replace Visalus shakes for less money. I'll see if I can find one.
  • melann1974
    Options
    Thanks 3dogs.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Body by Vi shakes; I did a quick comparison with the protein that I like, and it does have less protein, less sugar, and more fiber. So, I do have a Vi shake sometimes for breakfast with fruit, and then an oatmeal snack later. I don't plan on this being a long term thing, but I work early now and it's just to supplement my diet.

Protein shakes are to supplement your diet. I don't get a lot of protein, so I do drink the shakes sometimes if I'm low. They can be great to aid in weight loss, especially if you are in the habit of skipping meals or not getting enough calories.

Get in the habit of reading your labels. If something has a ton of "junk" in it, it's probably not a good option. Try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible, and it will be much easier to meet your calorie/protein/carb/fat goals.

Also, do be careful what you read on the forums. Many people don't really know what they are talking about. Do your own research and make your own decisions for the most part. Make sure you are reading articles from good sources!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It takes a little research, but it basically comes down to reading the full ingredients and nutritional value of each option. When I was looking for protein shakes (because I don't eat enough protein through food), I found that the shakes targeted towards dieters had WAY more sugar (or tons of artificual sweeteners).
    I chose my particular whey protein powder because it was the best of what I had available to me -- I didn't want to consume that much soy because of the possible hormone issues (I eat soy, just didn't want to do that much every day), and I wanted to stay as organic as possible. I couldn't find organic non-soy, but I did find one that at least is from antibiotic-free/no-added-hormone cows, with zero artificial flavors or sweeteners. Those are my personal issues; other people could not care less about pesticide residue, and to each their own.
    You just have to decide what's important to you. What are you looking for in a shake? Are you trying to offset a nutritional gap in your diet, or just trying to come up with a low-calorie filler to stave off hunger? Once you know what you're looking for, then you pick the product that meets those requirements.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Also, do be careful what you read on the forums. Many people don't really know what they are talking about. Do your own research and make your own decisions for the most part. Make sure you are reading articles from good sources!
    ^^THIS^^
    There are a lot of people on this site that equate correlation with causation. If they think something worked for them, then it must work for everyone. Heck, I do it too -- adding more protein to my diet made such a HUGE shift in my energy drive, that when people say they're too tired to work out, I suggest looking at their protein intake. There are a LOT of great ideas to be had on this site; just take them all with a grain of salt and PLEASE do your own research.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Can I use the stuff at the store and it will be just as good/healthy? Is it a protein shake? I've seen whey protein shake mix, soy protein shake mix, etc. And I'm so confused as to what these are for.

You can probably buy just about any major brand and come out about the same on performance. Sugar content honestly isn't that big of a deal just be careful about how many sugar alcohol grams you have each day. This stuff is in nearly every low sugar item. (Gum, shakes, protein bars, meal replacement bars) It won't kill you or make you fat but it will give you an upset stomach if you have too much of it in one day. :smile:

Whey protein is a dairy based protein and soy is soy based. (Duh right?) Both are good sources of protein but I don't like the taste of soy much.
  • toni14301
    toni14301 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Another thing you may want to look for being a female is looking for the word "isolate" on the label. Recommended for women as it creates Iean muscle. I use Precision Engineered Whey Isolate Protein from Vitamin World...it contains
    30g protein
    0 fat
    Carbs 2g
    Sugars <1g
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Visalus is not a "protein" shake. It is more of a meal replacement shake. The quality is questionable. There are those who feel that they don't use the ideal vitamins for absorption. Also, on it's own it is very low in calories and fat, even protein, to be considered a good meal replacement, but I believe many people add things to it that could change that.

Protein shakes are not meal replacements either. They are used to increase intake of protein. If you add things to it like peanut butter, yogurts, oats, fruits, etc, it can become a meal replacement. Protein shakes are not just for bodybuilders, anyone can use them if they are having trouble meeting protein requirements.

Search some threads on this topic. I know that in other threads people have suggested ways to get replace Visalus shakes for less money. I'll see if I can find one.

^This

I'll put in my vote for my favorite out of all the powders I've used. I <3 Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey.

Best price for a great protein. :) It mixes REALLY well (no nasty clumps... ugh :P) and tastes the BEST hands down out of all the powders I have tried. It also has a great profile. I've tried quite a few other powders and they were all pricier, but not better. I have trouble with powders texture/taste wise, but I actually like the ON Gold. :D

I got the Extreme Milk Chocolate and Delicious Strawberry, which received good reviews. The strawberry I drank with just water and did not want to die (like I did with previous powders) and it is very good (actually dare I say yummy) in a shake! :D I did the milk chocolate in my usual shake and it was actually good. The funny after taste I usually associate with protein powders was minimal.

Reviews say the Banana is good if you like that. :) STAY AWAY FROM THE VANILLA ICE CREAM... it received terrible responses.

Note: I generally use my shakes to hit my macros and help with workout recovery. Thus, I usually drink it right after my workout, but sometimes I have it during the day. :)

Edited to add: By "great profile" I mean the quality of the powder, e.g. makeup of isolates, amino acids, etc. Most of the things that you will look at on the label and go OMG WTF IS THIS STUFF??? LOL :) My bf helped me research it (he's a chemistry guy) and explained it to me. From that research, it seems ON makes a great profile for a reasonable price. There are better powders out there (profile wise), but they are more expensive.
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    Google "Green Monsters" and use one of those recipes and add protein powder to it.