Learning to eat with food allergies/intolerences

Options
After a life time of struggling with intestinal issues and a host of other reactions (itching, rashes,sinus problems,etc.) I finally found out in November of last year what I'm allergic to. Since then I've been working hard to avoid those foods like the plague and I feel a billion times better than I ever have. However, now I struggle with not just what I can eat, but what I SHOULD eat to be healthy.

My allergy list is not necessarily huge, but it does involve some rather major food items. Wheat, gluten, dairy (all parts), broccoli, bananas, pineapple, cranberries and soy are the ones that are the most difficult to avoid. And when you do avoid them. the replacements are often not as good for the ol'waistline. For example, much of the foods that are wheat and gluten free are made with white rice, etc. Protein powders even when wheat, gluten, dairy and soy free will contain broccoli or one of the fruits.

My insides unfortunately are fairly damaged from a life time of this, so I know some of the issues that have cropped up since I've cut these foods out will likely go away, but currently it is adding to the complications. For example, I am unable to eat the same foods more than a couple of days in a row or I will have a reaction. Odd, I know. So I have to plan things out so I eat different foods every day. Like peanuts and egg yolks. I'm only very slightly allergic to them. If I have egg yolks in something I'm generally fine. But I can't have a egg salad with them or a fried egg. Peanut butter is fine one day, but if I have it a second day in a row, I'll be sick.

Frankly, I'm just tired of eating being like a math quiz. I know I have to figure out some healthy meal plans that I can switch out, and stick to them - say a week of meals with an eye towards not repeating the same foods more than 2 or 3 times per week.

I'm just wondering if others here have had this struggle and what you did to get through it. I'm still fairly new to this and I'm learning every day.

Replies